Manchester United 0-2 Manchester City: Stones ends goal drought as holders reach another final

By Sports Desk January 06, 2021

John Stones ended his long goal drought as holders Manchester City secured a 2-0 derby win over Manchester United to set up an EFL Cup final showdown with Tottenham.

Stones has been outstanding at the heart of the City defence since forcing his way back into the side this season and he scored his first City goal in 1,162 days at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

The in-form centre-back had earlier put the ball in his own net early on but Marcus Rashford was offside, summing up how his fortunes have changed.

United were unable to respond following Stones' goal early in the second half and Fernandinho doubled City's lead seven minutes from time with an excellent finish.

Pep Guardiola's side were worthy winners, dumping their neighbours out at the same stage they did 12 months ago as they aim to win the competition for a fourth consecutive season.

 

 

Related items

  • Doncic 'still learning' after Warriors go three up against the Mavericks Doncic 'still learning' after Warriors go three up against the Mavericks

    Luka Doncic said he is "still learning", with his 40-point haul not enough to prevent the Dallas Mavericks from going 3-0 down in the Western Conference Finals series to the Golden State Warriors.

    The 109-100 defeat in American Airlines Center means the Mavs have the unlikely task of needing to win the next four games in a row to make the NBA finals.

    Doncic top scored in the game, while also making 11 rebounds, three assists and two blocks, but felt he did not play well enough in the first half.

    Spencer Dinwiddie (26) and Jalen Brunson (20) offered assistance but the hosts just could not keep up with the Warriors, with Stephen Curry coming away with 31 points and 11 assists.

    "I'm still learning," Doncic said after the game. "I think the first two quarters, I played very bad. That's on me. But I'm still learning. I think after this season is done, whatever we are, I think we're going to look back and learn a lot of things.

    "It's my first time in the Conference Finals in the NBA. I'm 23, man. I'm still learning a lot."

    Despite Doncic's concerns about the first two quarters, it was the third where the game got away from Dallas, with the Warriors extending their half-time lead of one point to 10 points by the start of the fourth quarter.

    However, the Slovenian praised the Warriors for their form and credited their development as a team over recent years.

    "I think the Warriors are playing incredible," he added. "Everybody knows their role. Everybody just stays together.

    "They're a long-built team. They've been together for a long time, and I think they're playing good basketball, so that's what I think is going to be really difficult. And these past three games, it's been very difficult."

    Mavs head coach Jason Kidd offered similar thoughts, and insisted his team are just at the start of their "journey".

    "This is just the beginning of this journey," Kidd said. "I know you guys had us winning the championship before the season started, and that's a joke if you didn't get it. But this is a lot bigger than just this one game or this one series. This is huge for our franchise because none of you guys had us here.

    "So it's cool to go through this, and we're going against... you can call them a dynasty. They have three great players who will be hall of famers, and this is a great lesson learned from us.

    "This isn't the end. This is just the beginning."

  • Two supporters charged after Man City pitch invasion Two supporters charged after Man City pitch invasion

    Two people have been charged by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) following a pitch invasion after Manchester City's Premier League title-clinching win against Aston Villa.

    City recovered from two goals down at the Etihad Stadium to beat Villa 3-2 in dramatic circumstances on Sunday and clinch their fourth league crown in five seasons.

    Thousands of supporters charged onto the pitch to celebrate City's latest triumph, but reports of violence marred the celebrations. 

    City apologised and launched an investigation after Villa goalkeeper Robin Olsen was allegedly attacked.

    In a statement released on Monday, GMP confirmed they have charged two people for separate offences, while enquiries are ongoing into the alleged attack on Olsen.

    Phillip Maxwell, of Anzio Row, Knowsley, has been charged with throwing a missile onto the pitch, and will appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates' Court on Monday.

    Paul Colbridge, of Whitegate Drive, Salford, has been charged with going onto the pitch, and will appear at the same court on June 7.

    City have vowed to hand a lifetime ban to any supporters found guilty of attacking Olsen.

  • Rumour Has It: Declan Rice to stick with West Ham Rumour Has It: Declan Rice to stick with West Ham

    Speculation over Declan Rice's future has long centred on an apparently inevitable departure from West Ham United.

    The Hammers run to the Europa League semi-final has amplified talk around the England international midfielder, with Chelsea and Manchester United linked.

    According to reports, though, the 23-year-old appears content at London Stadium with a World Cup on the horizon.

     

    TOP STORY – DECLAN RICE TO STICK WITH WEST HAM    

    Declan Rice will not leave West Ham despite interest from Manchester United and Chelsea, according to The Mirror.

    The 23-year-old has been reticent to sign a new deal at the club, but he is reportedly in no hurry to leave yet either, seemingly wanted to stay settled ahead of November's World Cup in Qatar.

    United have looked to Rice as one of their primary transfer targets as Erik ten Hag looks to overhaul the squad, but Rice appears set for one more season at West Ham following their run to the Europa League semi-final this term.

    Hammers management had previously advised that Rice is not for sale, and strong performances at the World Cup with England would likely only increase his already lofty market value.

    ROUND-UP

    Real Madrid are showing interest in Milan's Rafael Leao after Kylian Mbappe opted to stay at Paris Saint-Germain, according to Marca.

    – Los Blancos are also looking to scupper Liverpool's move for Aurelien Tchouameni, despite the player having already agreed terms with the Reds so say The Mirror.

    Barcelona are discussing personal terms with Marcos Alonso, who is set to leave Chelsea, Fabrizio Romano reports.

    – Arsenal defender William Saliba wants to stay at Marseille, where he has been on loan, per Goal.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.