Pedri urges Barcelona to make 'spectacular signing' of Spain team-mate Williams

By Sports Desk July 03, 2024

Pedri hopes Spain team-mate Nico Williams will soon join him at Barcelona after the pair's quest for Euro 2024 glory is over.

The youthful La Roja duo have been integral to Spain's perfect start at the international tournament in Germany, winning all four matches to reach the quarter-finals.

Williams netted a fine solo goal in Sunday's 4-1 hammering of Georgia, becoming the first player on record at the Euros (since 1980) to score, assist and complete 100% of his passes (46/46) in a game he started.

Germany await for Luis de la Fuente's side on Friday in the last eight, yet regardless of that result, Pedri wants to be playing in LaLiga with winger Williams next season.

Barcelona have been linked with a move for the Athletic Bilbao forward, with Liverpool reportedly also interested, and fellow Spain winger Lamine Yamal has already endorsed a move to the Blaugrana.

Pedri echoed Yamal's sentiment, telling Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo that Williams joining would mark a significant acquisition for Barcelona.

"We don't talk about it much. It's a decision that he and Barca have to make," the midfielder said. "Yes, it's clear that he would be a spectacular signing.

"We're already seeing what he's doing at the Euros. Hopefully he can be with us, but we don't know yet because he has a contract with Athletic.

"Whatever has to happen, will happen."

Chelsea are also said to have an interest in Williams, who has three years left on his contract in Bilbao.

Williams, who plays club football with brother Inaki, previously suggested his future remains at his current club, rather than elsewhere.

"I am very happy in Bilbao and that is all I have to say," Williams said in an interview last month. "Yes, I am quite clear, in the end, as I have told you, Athletic is my home."

Related items

  • Canada showed 'incredible potential' on Copa America debut, says proud Marsch Canada showed 'incredible potential' on Copa America debut, says proud Marsch

    Jessie Marsch says Canada showed "incredible potential" by finishing fourth at the Copa America, even if he believes they threw a bronze medal away against Uruguay.

    Ismael Kone and Jonathan David scored as Canada fought back from 1-0 down to lead Saturday's third-place play-off in North Carolina, but Luis Suarez levelled after 92 minutes.

    Kone and Alphonso Davies then failed to convert in the penalty shoot-out as Uruguay emerged as 4-2 victors, becoming the first nation to win multiple shoot-outs at two editions of the tournament (2024 and 1999).

    Canada, meanwhile, fell short of becoming the third CONCACAF nation to get on the podium at the Copa, after Mexico (1997, 1999 and 2007) and Honduras (2001).

    While Marsch was disappointed with the way Canada let that achievement slip away in the dying moments, he was full of pride when discussing their campaign overall, particularly as they build towards a home World Cup in two years' time.

    "The players are disappointed in the way that we gave the match away, but I was very positive with them," Marsch said.

    "We've been together for a little over six weeks. We came into this match, put some new players on the pitch, played against one of the best teams in the world and dominated.

     

    "We're still a young team. If you look at their team, they have experienced players across the board, players playing at big clubs, a lot of experience in understanding how to handle moments. We're still developing that."

    Marsch only took the reins in mid-May but navigated a route through a challenging group containing Argentina, Chile and Peru, then oversaw a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Venezuela in the quarter-finals.

    "The beauty was the clarity with which the way that we're playing was executed by the new players that came in," he added.

    "It's not easy to build a tactical model in such a short time and under such big stresses against good opponents and then perform and execute at such a high level.

    "So, again, what a positive sign. What a great group of guys. What incredible potential we have with this team."

  • Injury fears behind Messi ahead of Copa America final Injury fears behind Messi ahead of Copa America final

    Lionel Messi has warned Argentina's Copa America final opponents Colombia the injury worries that hampered him earlier in the tournament are now firmly behind him.

    Messi is looking to lead La Albiceleste to a third major tournament win in as many years on Sunday, as the 2021 Copa America and 2022 World Cup winners face Colombia at Miami's Hard Rock Stadium.

    He has endured a mixed tournament, needing four games – and 12 shots – to score his first goal as he finally got off the mark against Canada in the semi-finals.

    A muscle injury forced Messi to sit out Argentina's third group-stage match against Peru, but he says he is fully fit and raring to go ahead of Sunday's showpiece game.

    Speaking to Dsports, the eight-time Ballon d'Or winner said: "With Canada I felt very good physically. 

    "Against Chile I had an adductor problem and I no longer played comfortably. I was already slowed down, it bothered me when I had to stand up or move laterally. 

    "Versus Ecuador [in the last eight] I arrived just in time too. I was fine from the injury, but I had it in my head that I had something wrong. 

    "In the last match I lost my fear, I felt better and for the final I will feel even better."

     

    Many believe Messi could call time on his glittering international career after Sunday's final, after he said he was fighting his "last battles" with Argentina last week.

    Messi is set to become the first player in Copa history to feature in five finals, having led his nation to glory three years ago after losing the 2007, 2015 and 2016 finals.

    He currently shares the record for most final appearances with former team-mate Javier Mascherano, who played in the 2004, 2007, 2015 and 2016 showpiece matches.

  • Lorenzo bemused as Copa America organisers plan Shakira half-time show Lorenzo bemused as Copa America organisers plan Shakira half-time show

    Colombia boss Nestor Lorenzo has hit out at the decision to have an extended half-time break during Sunday's Copa America final to facilitate a performance by Shakira.

    Colombia will go in search of their second Copa America title at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, while holders Argentina are targeting a record-breaking 16th triumph.

    Tournament organisers are planning a 25-minute interval, rather than the traditional 15, with Colombian pop sensation Shakira performing during the break.

    While Lorenzo says the extended break will not give an advantage to either team in particular, he is worried about the potential for it to impact players' conditioning.

    Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Lorenzo told reporters: "I hope you enjoy, Shakira is great. 

    "For a final, when the rules change for both teams, bad pitches for both or same weather for both, then I can't say if it's bad, or if it favours one side.

    "I can't understand it, I wish it were like the rest of the games."

    Lorenzo pointed to incidents which saw Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Venezuela sanctioned by CONMEBOL for late arrivals after half-time during the group stage.

    "When we came out in the 16th minute we were sanctioned, but now that there is a show we can come out in the 20th minute," he said.

    "Players can get cold, but it's on both sides. I found out today that this is how it is, and that's it."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.