Allegri hails Juve response to adversity after Salernitana triumph

By Sports Desk February 07, 2023

Massimiliano Allegri hailed Juventus' mental fortitude after responding to a troublesome period following their points deduction with victory at Salernitana.

Juve had not won in three Serie A games, including a 5-1 thrashing by Napoli and a surprise 2-0 defeat to Monza, while the club had also been docked 15 points following an investigation into past transfer dealings.

But Allegri's side bounced back on Tuesday with a dominant 3-0 victory at Salernitana as Dusan Vlahovic scored twice and assisted Serbia team-mate Filip Kostic for the other.

Victory moved Juve up to 10th, albeit some 13 points off fourth-placed Lazio, and Allegri heaped praise on his side's resilience amid a difficult time in Turin.

The Juve head coach told reporters: "The lads are responsible, we can tell each other many things, but I think it wasn't and isn't easy to keep your head in the championship after 15 points were taken away from you.

"We set ourselves some goals, which is to catch those in front of us. Then there's the Coppa Italia [semi-final] with Inter and the Europa League.

"It was important to win. We have 26 points, no one remembers that we scored 41 and we would be third in the standings. Look at the current standings."

Vlahovic took his tally to eight for the season with his first-half penalty and cool finish after the interval, with Allegri delighted to see his star striker returning to form, along with some vital minutes for Angel Di Maria.

"If Di Maria always plays 60 minutes, I'm happy, he's a champion. Vlahovic is coming back well, meanwhile [Moise] Kean has had important chances," Allegri added.

"We need all these players, it's normal that we need to improve in possession. We play every three days, so everyone is important."

Related items

  • Rakitic joins Hajduk Split after six-month Saudi spell Rakitic joins Hajduk Split after six-month Saudi spell

    Ivan Rakitic has completed a permanent transfer to Hajduk Split following the termination of his contract by mutual consent at Saudi Pro League side Al-Shabab. 

    Rakitic, who made eight appearances for Vitor Pereira's side, leaves the club six months after joining from Sevilla in the January transfer window. 

    The 36-year-old scored on his debut against Damac FC, but would miss much of the season through injury as Al-Shabab finished eighth in the league. 

    Rakitic, who was born in Switzerland, joins the 15-time Croatian Football League champions on a year-long deal, with the option of a further year. 

    The former Barcelona midfielder arrives at the club with great pedigree, having made 106 appearances for Croatia 12-year international career. 

    Rakitic was part of Zlatko Dalic's side that reached the World Cup final in 2018, and has won 16 honours throughout his professional career at club level. 

  • Gerrard and Lampard should be favourites for England job, says Redknapp Gerrard and Lampard should be favourites for England job, says Redknapp

    Harry Redknapp believes Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard should be on the FA's list to be the next England manager.

    Gareth Southgate stepped down as the Three Lions boss earlier this week following their Euro 2024 final defeat to Spain in Germany.

    Since then, speculation over who will become the next England manager is rife, with Eddie Howe and Graham Potter among the candidates on the FA's list of targets.

    Mauricio Pochettino, Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola have also seen their names linked to the vacant position.

    However, Redknapp believes two names are being excluded from discussions about Southgate's successor due to their struggles in the Premier League.

    Gerrard is currently managing Saudi Pro League side Al-Ettifaq following his departure from Aston Villa after less than a year in charge, which saw him leave with the club sitting just above the relegation zone.

    Meanwhile, Lampard has been out of work since his second spell at Chelsea when he took interim charge after being sacked by Everton.

    "The men I see as obvious front-runners will be lucky to even get an interview," Redknapp said in his column in The Sun.

    "I doubt there are many who'd agree with me when I say the FA should look no further than Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard for the next Three Lions boss.

    "Either of them could do the job standing on their head, yet probably neither will get so much as a phone call.

    "Mind you, plenty of people will insist there's no reason why they should because they've already written off both as failures. Forgetting that Frank reached an FA Cup final and finished fourth in his first spell at Chelsea. Or the fact that Everton were in such a mess, he never had a prayer when he went there.

    "There's every chance they'll gloss over Stevie's time at Rangers, despite their first title win in a decade — unbeaten as well — and say he was a flop at Aston Villa.

    "But you show me a manager who's not had a tough time of it somewhere down the line. Potter certainly did at Chelsea — he only lasted 31 games and lost 11 of them. So did Unai Emery, the man who replaced Stevie as boss at Villa, when he was Arsenal manager. It happens to everyone out there.

    "So, what's the difference between Potter and Frank? Why is one an obvious candidate for England, yet the other not even worthy of a mention?"

    Lampard and Gerrard both earned over 100 caps for England during their playing careers, though they never got further than the quarter-finals at a major tournament.

    Redknapp believes the former midfielders have the experience and the reputation to help them succeed on the big stage.

    "If the FA want someone steeped in football knowledge — at international level too — and who knows the game inside out at that level, both Frank and Stevie leave them standing," Redknapp added.

    "The players would love it as well. They'd be desperate to play for them. They would have nothing but respect whether it was Lampard or Gerrard as boss.

    "So, are they both on the scrap heap for good because they've had a failure somewhere down the line? There won't be any managers left before long if that's all it takes."

  • Ten Hag convinced Antony can still be a success at Man Utd Ten Hag convinced Antony can still be a success at Man Utd

    Erik ten Hag is still convinced Antony can make a success of his time with Manchester United after an underwhelming first two seasons at Old Trafford.

    Antony joined United in an £85million (€100m) deal in 2022, reuniting with Ten Hag after playing under him at Ajax.

    He has struggled to live up to expectations since arriving in England, only managing five goals and three assists in 54 Premier League appearances.

    Ten Hag, however, has refuted suggestions he convinced United to pay over the odds for a player he knew well from his time in the Eredivisie.

    The Dutchman also remains convinced the Brazilian will come good as he approaches his third season with the Red Devils.

    Speaking to AD Sportwereld, Ten Hag said of the deal to sign Antony: "I don't go over the budget. I've never even had a budget.

    "At United, the budgets lie with the owners and management. 

    "He certainly showed potential in the first month: he scored three times in his first three games. 

    "After that it became more difficult, last season was not good. But I am still convinced that he has the potential to play at this club."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.