EPL

Cristiano Ronaldo denies mega-money Al Nassr deal is signed and sealed

By Sports Desk December 06, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo denied on Tuesday that he has agreed to join Saudi club Al Nassr after Portugal's World Cup adventure.

The striker became a free agent after being released from his Manchester United contract last month and reports have claimed Ronaldo has agreed an extraordinarily lucrative deal to play in Saudi Arabia.

Suggestions of a bumper contract offer from the Saudi Pro League club emerged last week, with Ronaldo said to be in line to earn well over £100million a year.

However, the 37-year-old says the reports of him signing a deal with Al Nassr are wrong.

Speaking after coming off the bench in Portugal's 6-1 win over Switzerland at the World Cup, a rare substitute appearance for his country, Ronaldo was asked about the move.

"No, it's not true," he told reporters.

Ronaldo was allowed to leave United after a television interview with Piers Morgan saw him criticise the club's owners and signal his lack of respect for manager Erik ten Hag.

He said he felt "betrayed" by the club, alleging there were efforts being made to force him out, with his second stint at United ending in a messy break-up less than 18 months after his arrival from Juventus.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner may struggle to find a top-tier club in Europe, given his relative decline in form in recent times, compared to his peak years at Real Madrid, and the huge salary he is expected to be seeking.

The money may be no object in Saudi Arabia, but it remains unclear whether Ronaldo does not fancy that switch, or whether the deal is simply not over the line yet.

Ronaldo also sent his best wishes to Pele, who is being treated in a Sao Paulo hospital.

A report in Brazil at the weekend claimed the three-time World Cup winner had entered palliative care following a cancer battle. That has not been confirmed by the hospital, family, or Pele himself.

There have been a host of fond messages sent to the 82-year-old since concerns were raised about his health, and Ronaldo joined in. According to Record, Ronaldo said: "Get better, get better Pele. Our king has to get better. That's all we want."

Related items

  • Corberan signs West Brom extension amid Leeds speculation Corberan signs West Brom extension amid Leeds speculation

    Reported Leeds United target Carlos Corberan has signed a contract extension as West Brom head coach after links to the Premier League club.

    Spaniard Corberan was part of Leeds fan favourite Marcelo Bielsa's backroom staff amid the Argentine's spell at Elland Road.

    Corberan subsequently took a head coach role at rivals Huddersfield Town, guiding them to the Championship play-off final in 2022 before resigning amid reported disagreements with the club's board.

    Jesse Marsch's dismissal by Leeds on Monday created speculation the Whites would move to bring in Corberan, who has taken West Brom from second-bottom in the Championship to the play-off positions since his appointment in October.

    Leeds majority owner Andrea Radrizzani told supporters on Tuesday a decision would soon arrive, posting on Twitter: "We are on it ….hopefully white smoke by tonight or [tomorrow] morning"

    But West Brom swiftly dispelled talk of Corberan leaving, posting a teasing clip from British television series Happy Valley that said: "Why's everyone saying you are going to Leeds when you're not?"

    "I have enjoyed my time at Albion, and I am pleased to have secured a contract extension," Corberan told the club's official website upon confirmation of his new deal until June 2027.

    "I believe that success can only be achieved when everyone works together and the way I have been made to feel welcome at this great club has made me confident that this is the right place for me.

    "It is important to me that we do not let this moment distract us from our target, which is to ensure we improve every day, making the team more and more competitive for the challenges ahead.

    "My focus is always on earning a positive result in our next game and we are working hard to achieve that at Birmingham City on Friday night."

    Feyenoord manager Arne Slot and Rayo Vallecano Andoni Iraola are among the reported favourites for the Leeds head coach vacancy.

  • Rice better than Casemiro, claims Trippier Rice better than Casemiro, claims Trippier

    Declan Rice is a better player than either Casemiro or Thomas Partey, according to England team-mate Kieran Trippier.

    West Ham midfielder Rice is widely expected to be on the move at the end of the season, with the Premier League's top clubs said to be interested.

    Manchester United and Arsenal are among those linked, although both have established stars in a holding midfield position.

    Indeed, Casemiro and Partey have been two of the standout performers in the Premier League this season, and Trippier, speaking on Rio Ferdinand Presents FIVE, could not split "both quality players".

    However, the Newcastle United captain was certain Rice ranked ahead of both.

    "Declan's unbelievable," Trippier said.

    "I don't know if you watched the game the other day, when we played West Ham, but his intelligence, the way he breaks up play and how he travels with it and how powerful... unbelievable.

    "He's probably one of the best in the world at what he does.

    "Don't get me wrong, Casemiro – the trophies he's won, the Champions League, he's a world-class player.

    "But if you're talking right now, honestly, Dec's incredible. He's got the age, as well."

  • Allegri hails Juve response to adversity after Salernitana triumph Allegri hails Juve response to adversity after Salernitana triumph

    Massimiliano Allegri hailed Juventus' mental fortitude after responding to a troublesome period following their points deduction with victory at Salernitana.

    Juve had not won in three Serie A games, including a 5-1 thrashing by Napoli and a surprise 2-0 defeat to Monza, while the club had also been docked 15 points following an investigation into past transfer dealings.

    But Allegri's side bounced back on Tuesday with a dominant 3-0 victory at Salernitana as Dusan Vlahovic scored twice and assisted Serbia team-mate Filip Kostic for the other.

    Victory moved Juve up to 10th, albeit some 13 points off fourth-placed Lazio, and Allegri heaped praise on his side's resilience amid a difficult time in Turin.

    The Juve head coach told reporters: "The lads are responsible, we can tell each other many things, but I think it wasn't and isn't easy to keep your head in the championship after 15 points were taken away from you.

    "We set ourselves some goals, which is to catch those in front of us. Then there's the Coppa Italia [semi-final] with Inter and the Europa League.

    "It was important to win. We have 26 points, no one remembers that we scored 41 and we would be third in the standings. Look at the current standings."

    Vlahovic took his tally to eight for the season with his first-half penalty and cool finish after the interval, with Allegri delighted to see his star striker returning to form, along with some vital minutes for Angel Di Maria.

    "If Di Maria always plays 60 minutes, I'm happy, he's a champion. Vlahovic is coming back well, meanwhile [Moise] Kean has had important chances," Allegri added.

    "We need all these players, it's normal that we need to improve in possession. We play every three days, so everyone is important."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.