EPL

Ronaldo suspended for two matches over Everton fan phone incident

By Sports Desk November 23, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended for two matches by the Football Association (FA) and fined £50,000 for smashing an Everton supporter's phone last season.

The Portugal international, who had his contract mutually terminated by Manchester United on Tuesday, has also been warned by the FA over his future conduct.

Ronaldo was charged by the FA in September for breaching Rule E3 after footage of the incident emerged following United's loss at Goodison Park in April.

He was also questioned by Merseyside Police in relation to an alleged assault and criminal damage and received a caution in August.

Erik ten Hag suggested last month Ronaldo would fight the FA ruling, but the governing body announced on Wednesday he has now accepted the charge

"Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended for two matches, fined £50,000 and warned as to his future conduct for a breach of FA Rule E3," the FA's statement read.

"The forward admitted that his conduct after the final whistle of the Premier League game between Manchester United and Everton on Saturday 9 April 2022 was improper.

"An independent Regulatory Commission found that his conduct was both improper and violent during a subsequent hearing, and imposed these sanctions."

Ronaldo's ban will reportedly carry across to any new club he joins, even if it is outside of England.

Ronaldo issued an apology on Instagram at the time, stating: "It's never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing.

"Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

"I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship."

Ronaldo's exit from United came on the back of a tell-all interview with Piers Morgan last week in which he said the club had "betrayed" him and declared he did not respect manager Erik ten Hag.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner also used the interview to attack several former United players who had criticised his conduct this season.  

Free agent Ronaldo is expected to start Portugal's opening Qatar 2022 match against Ghana on Thursday.

Related items

  • Onana paid the price for Cameroon 'misunderstanding' – Inzaghi Onana paid the price for Cameroon 'misunderstanding' – Inzaghi

    Inter head coach Simone Inzaghi attributed Andre Onana's suspension by Cameroon at the World Cup to a "misunderstanding".

    The 26-year-old Nerazzurri goalkeeper was dropped for his country's second group game against Serbia, subsequently leaving Qatar before their final game against Brazil.

    Onana issued a statement in the wake of his shock demotion, which Cameroon team officials put down to undisclosed "disciplinary reasons".

    Reports suggested Onana's omission came after a disagreement with boss Rigobert Song over his playing style in the 1-0 loss against Switzerland, when he had the most touches outside the box by a goalkeeper ever recorded in a World Cup match (26).

    Inzaghi has spoken to Onana since his departure and does not believe he has been affected by the situation.

    "I've spoken to all the guys involved in the World Cup," he said. "We have four who made it to the quarter-finals.

    "Romelu Lukaku and Onana are out; they will arrive between Friday and Saturday and join the group. Physically they are all fine, we are expecting them.

    "There was a misunderstanding that he [Onana] paid for, but I spoke to him and he is calm.

    "I can talk about what happened at Inter. He's a positive guy; when he had to be on the bench he stayed there, when he had to play he played.

    "On Friday he'll be in Appiano and will start working with us."

    Inzaghi also had his say on Lukaku, who endured a torrid time as Belgium crashed out in the group stage with a 0-0 draw against Croatia in their final game.

    The Inter striker was brought on at half-time by Red Devils boss Roberto Martinez, but conspired to miss a host of wonderful chances to win the game for his side.

    "Clearly he was disappointed," Inzaghi added. "It's a World Cup and he cares so much about his national team.

    "He played 45 minutes and he had three chances. If you are getting the chances, a striker has to stay calm."

    Inter return to Serie A action on January 4 against Napoli, but have friendlies against Salzburg, Real Betis, Reggina and Sassuolo before then.

  • England cannot focus on Mbappe alone in France encounter, warns Shaw England cannot focus on Mbappe alone in France encounter, warns Shaw

    England's focus cannot be on Kylian Mbappe alone when they face France in the World Cup quarter-finals, says Luke Shaw.

    Gareth Southgate's side will face Les Bleus on Saturday after both reached the last-eight in comfortable fashion, with the Three Lions running out 3-0 victors over Senegal.

    Didier Deschamps' defending champions meanwhile overcame Poland 3-1, with Mbappe celebrating a double and Olivier Giroud breaking the nation's all-time goalscorer record.

    Shaw warned the quality of talent across the board is something England must address rather than keep their focus firmly on stopping Paris Saint-Germain superstar Mbappe, who has five goals at Qatar 2022 already to his name.

    "Obviously after his performance [against Poland], there's going to be even more chat about him," he said. "But we know he's a world-class player.

    "I think it would be very naive of us to focus purely on him. They're reigning world champions for a reason and we need to focus on them as a whole team.

    "They have brilliant players over the whole pitch, so we're not going to fully focus on him, but it's an amazing tie to be involved in and that's why we're here."

    England posted their third clean sheet of the tournament in four matches against Senegal, as Jordan Henderson, Harry Kane and Bukayo Saka fired the Three Lions to victory.

    Shaw feels it marked another forward step for the team but stressed they will need to be fully switched on to deal with their toughest opponent yet.

    "I think we're really happy with the victory, another clean sheet obviously," he added. "We were more clinical in front of goal. We defended well as well, not too many chances for them.

    "In the first half, a couple of sloppy passes put [us] under pressure, but apart from that, overall I think it's a solid performance. It needs to give us confidence and the belief.

    "We have to be at 100 per cent to win this game, and we know that. I think we need to step up another level because France are a very good team."

  • Dumfries' agent on price tag: I hope his value hasn't increased too much! Dumfries' agent on price tag: I hope his value hasn't increased too much!

    Denzel Dumfries' agent hopes the Inter defender's price tag has not increased too much as a result of his impressive performances for the Netherlands at the World Cup.

    The full-back has been a key figure for Louis van Gaal's side in Qatar where the Dutch have a quarter-final tie with Argentina to look forward to on Friday.

    Dumfries contributed two assists and a goal as the Netherlands defeated the United States 3-1 in the last 16, a performance that saw his stock rise even further.

    Premier League heavyweights Manchester United and Chelsea have been credited with an interest in the 26-year-old, though Inter are reportedly reluctant to see him leave.

    However, a report in Calciomercato stated any offer in excess of €50million may be enough to convince Inter to cash in.

    Dumfries' representative, Rafaela Pimenta, was asked about the possibility of his value rising due to his efforts in Qatar by Sky Sport Italia.

    She replied: "Let's hope not otherwise it will be more difficult to transfer him!"

    Inter headed into Serie A's break for the World Cup fifth in the table and 11 points adrift of leaders Napoli.

    Their first domestic game back is against the league leaders at San Siro on January 4.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.