'I won’t miss this for the world' - Son confirms South Korea fitness for World Cup

By Sports Desk November 09, 2022

South Korea forward Son Heung-min says he would not miss the Qatar 2022 World Cup "for the world", confirming he will be available for the tournament.

The Tottenham attacker's participation had been in doubt after suffering a fracture near his left eye during a Champions League clash with Marseille at the start of this month.

Club boss Antonio Conte had previously stated it would be "impossible" for the player to feature for Spurs before the mid-season break, sparking fears he could miss out on the World Cup entirely.

Now however, Son - who has 35 goals in 104 senior appearances for South Korea - has revealed he will be fit to feature, and that he is expected to join his country in Qatar.

"I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you all for the messages of support I have received over the last week," the forward wrote on Instagram. 

"I have read so many of them and truly, truly appreciate you all.

"In a tough time I received a lot of strength from you. Playing for your country at the World Cup is the dream of so many children growing up, just as it was one of mine too.

"I won’t miss this for the world. I can’t wait to represent our beautiful country. See you soon."

News of Son's availability for the South Korea team will come as a major boost, with the 30-year-old - a member of their Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018 squads - now set for his third World Cup.

The Spurs forward needs to make just one more appearance to sit 10th on the country's all-time capped list in men's international football, jointly with Kim Tae-young and Lee Dong-gook on 105.

South Korea kick off their campaign against Uruguay on November 24.

Related items

  • Reynolds and McElhenney's Wrexham get their Hollywood meeting with Man Utd Reynolds and McElhenney's Wrexham get their Hollywood meeting with Man Utd

    Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney are taking Wrexham to the United States, where the non-league club will face Manchester United.

    San Diego's Snapdragon Stadium will host the friendly on July 25.

    Wrexham, who this month signed former United goalkeeper Ben Foster, are pushing for promotion from the National League.

    They sit three points clear of Notts County, while they also reached the fourth round of the FA Cup, losing to Sheffield United, who have gone on to reach the semi-finals.

    The Welsh club were bought by Hollywood A-listers Reynolds and McElhenney in 2020.

    "We're looking forward to being able to play in the United States for the first time in the club's history," said Wrexham manager Phil Parkinson.

    Wrexham last faced United in an FA Cup tie in 1995. The Red Devils' team will be mainly made up of academy players.

  • Tedesco: I have nothing to prove to the Germans Tedesco: I have nothing to prove to the Germans

    Domenico Tedesco does not believe he has anything to prove on his return to Germany with new side Belgium after previously being sacked by RB Leipzig and Schalke.

    Leipzig parted company with Tedesco in September 2022, nine months after he took up the position, despite winning the DFB-Pokal in the 2021-22 campaign.

    The 37-year-old was also ousted by Schalke in March 2019, a year on from guiding the club to a second-place finish in the Bundesliga.

    But ahead of Belgium's friendly with Germany in Cologne on Tuesday, Tedesco insists he is content with what he achieved across his two spells in the country where he grew up.

    "I love my job and I am happy with what I have already achieved," he said at Monday's pre-match press conference. 

    "I always want to win, but I feel I have nothing to prove to the Germans. The coach is not that important, either – the players make the difference."

    Germany and Belgium endured disappointing World Cup campaigns, each exiting at the group stage in Qatar despite pre-tournament hopes being high.

    Four-time world champions Germany have slipped to 14th in the FIFA rankings – 10 places below Belgium – but that is not a true reflection of their quality in the view of Tedesco. 

    "How is it possible that they're 14th?" he asked reporters. "At the World Cup in Qatar they had so many chances, they just didn't score enough. 

    "No one had more expected goals than Germany. Even if Germany were last in the FIFA rankings, that wouldn't change anything. We want to win, even if it's a friendly game.

    "Germany have a few new young players, but they are players from top teams. They remain a strong country."

    Germany beat Peru 2-0 on Saturday, while Belgium kicked off their Euro 2024 qualifying campaign with a 3-0 win in Sweden on Friday thanks to Romelu Lukaku's hat-trick.

    The 29-year-old has 71 goals in 105 senior international appearances, but he has struggled this term for club side Inter, where he is on loan from Chelsea for the campaign.

    However, Tedesco says there is more to Lukaku's game than goals alone.

    "Don't judge him solely on that," the Italian said. "He is looking in good shape and was proud after scoring his hat-trick – rightly so.

    "I want him to be happy. He has the qualities to play for any side, including Inter. He is a good guy and he deserves to be happy when he plays."

    Kai Havertz and Nico Schlotterbeck have been ruled out for Germany, while first-choice goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has not made the trip for Belgium.

    That means a rare chance to shine for Koen Casteels, who is perhaps better known to the home fans having spent made than a decade in the Bundesliga.

    "I don't have to show myself in Germany anymore – they know me here," the Wolfsburg goalkeeper said. "Germany is my second home. It's nice to play here.

    "I feel a lot of recognition in Germany, maybe more than in Belgium. I am spoken of more positively here; in Belgium less so. I have resigned myself to that. 

    "I owe a lot to Germany and also have German punctuality picked up, but after my career I'm just going to live in Belgium again."

  • 'It's been unforgettable' – Conte thanks fans after Spurs exit 'It's been unforgettable' – Conte thanks fans after Spurs exit

    Antonio Conte thanked Tottenham fans for their "unforgettable" support as he broke his silence following his exit from the club.

    Conte left Spurs by mutual consent on Sunday, a week on from a remarkable outburst after a 3-3 draw with bottom side Southampton in which his side squandered a two-goal lead late on.

    The Italian labelled his players "selfish" and questioned the club's lack of silverware during Daniel Levy's time as chairman.

    That tirade ultimately cost him his job, with assistant Cristian Stellini taking charge until the end of the season as Spurs bid to finish in the Premier League top four for a second straight campaign.

    Conte posted on Instagram on Monday, thanking Spurs and their fans while wishing them luck for the future.

    "Football is passion," Conte said. "I would like to deeply thank everyone at Spurs who appreciated and shared my passion and my intense way of living football as a coach.

    "A special thought to the fans who always showed me support and appreciation, it's been unforgettable to hear them singing my name.

    "Our journey together has ended, I wish you all the best for the future."

    Spurs' first game in the post-Conte era will be a trip to Goodison Park to face Everton on April 3, as they look to cling onto the fourth spot that they currently occupy to achieve Champions League qualification for next season.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.