Man City condemn 'vile' racist abuse towards Rico Lewis by Sevilla supporters

By Sports Desk November 03, 2022

Manchester City have condemned "vile" racist abuse from Sevilla fans towards Rico Lewis during Wednesday's Champions League clash, stating "we will not tolerate any discrimination".

The 17-year-old Lewis's memorable Champions League debut at Etihad Stadium was marred by racist abuse after City confirmed two arrests had been made amid a continued club and police investigation.

"Manchester City strongly condemns the racist abuse that Rico Lewis was subject to from Sevilla supporters at yesterday's match," a club statement read on Thursday.

"We understand that two arrests have been made and are continuing to work with Sevilla and GMP [Greater Manchester Police] to investigate this matter.

"We will not tolerate discrimination of any kind at our stadium and will be offering our full support to Rico following these vile incidents."

Sevilla said disciplinary action will be taken should the two culprits be proven guilty.

"Sevilla strongly condemn the behaviour of two fans in the away section of Manchester City's stadium, who were identified and accused of allegedly behaving in a racist manner towards Manchester City player Rico Lewis," a statement from the LaLiga said.

"Sevilla are awaiting official confirmation of these facts, of which they have been made aware by Manchester City, and if these are proven, the two fans will be removed from the list of members.

"Sevilla would like to point out that there have never been any racist or xenophobic episodes at the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan stadium and that its fans have always been committed to the fight against racism."

Lewis scored the equaliser in the comeback 3-1 victory over Sevilla and became the youngest player in history to score on his Champions League debut.

Related items

  • Howe claims the best is yet to come from Newcastle new boy Gordon as Shelvey set for Forest Howe claims the best is yet to come from Newcastle new boy Gordon as Shelvey set for Forest

    Eddie Howe believes Anthony Gordon will be a hit with the Newcastle United supporters and confirmed Jonjo Shelvey is in the process of leaving the club.

    Gordon joined Newcastle from struggling Everton over the weekend.

    Newcastle have reportedly paid an initial £40million for the 21-year-old, with an additional £5m due in add-ons.

    Gordon handed in a transfer request at Everton last week, having missed three training sessions, though Howe has no concerns over the winger's attitude.

    "He'll give us a lot," Howe said in a press conference ahead of Tuesday's EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Southampton.

    "He's a young player with huge potential to have a big impact on our season.

    "Very quick, dynamic. He's versatile and can play on both sides. The best is yet to come from him. I've got no doubts about his character. He is fiercely determined and ambitious.

    "I believe he will fit our style of play. He is an incredible athlete and has the ability to run box-to-box at very high speed.

    "I think he has the athletic durability that we want in our wide players. He has the passion that the fans will feed off but Anthony will have to earn that support."

    Gordon's fiery side was on show when Everton lost at St James' Park in October, clashing with Kieran Trippier, Fabian Schar and Nick Pope.

    "It's interesting looking back at the footage, I like that he didn't stand down that day. He was aggressive," Howe added.

    "The supporters and his team-mates will grow to love that about him."

    While Gordon has bolstered Newcastle's attacking options, Howe is set to lose midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, who is on the verge of following Chris Wood to Nottingham Forest.

    "Jonjo has had injuries this season and certainly I would not want to lose him," Howe said of the former Liverpool midfielder.

    "I have to understand again, similar to Chris Wood, the player's wishes with his contract coming to an end.

    "It will be very difficult to keep Jonjo currently, with where he wants his career to go. We can keep players who want to leave – there is nothing to say that every player that wants to leave you have to let go.

    "But you have to take every situation independently and try to judge everything, judge what is best for him and the club.

    "This is a very difficult situation. From a footballing perspective, I definitely want to keep Jonjo, I rate him highly. Jonjo I believe is talking to Nottingham Forest, I don't know what stage that is at."

    Newcastle have been linked with a loan move for Sheffield United's Sander Berge and Howe confirmed he wants a replacement for Shelvey, though acknowledged it would be "very difficult" to sign another player on a permanent basis in the final two days of the window.

  • Roma working on solution to Zaniolo saga after apparent Bournemouth snub Roma working on solution to Zaniolo saga after apparent Bournemouth snub

    Roma are targeting a solution to their Nicolo Zaniolo crisis before Tuesday's transfer deadline after the winger was "not very happy" about the prospect of joining Bournemouth.

    The Italy international was strongly linked with Tottenham earlier this month; however, Antonio Conte subsequently signed Arnaut Danjuma on loan from Villarreal as a solution to his wide attacking midfield needs.

    Bournemouth subsequently emerged as frontrunners, with the team third from bottom of the Premier League seeing Zaniolo as a player who could help them to safety in their first campaign back in the top flight.

    Reports suggested Roma and Bournemouth had reached an agreement on a deal worth an initial £26.3million (€30m), but it appears Zaniolo is not sold on the idea of joining the English south-coast club.

    Roma head coach Jose Mourinho has expressed major frustration over Zaniolo asking to leave and then stalling when the opportunity arose, saying it "unfortunately" seemed the 23-year-old would end up staying with the Giallorossi.

    When asked about firm opportunities to sell Zaniolo, Roma general manager Tiago Pinto said on Sunday: "I have no problem answering this question, everyone understood what happened.

    "Zaniolo asked to be sold, and together with the agent we found a solution. We succeeded, but now Nicolo is not very happy with the solution that has arrived, and obviously we are all in a bit of difficulty."

    Last season saw Zaniolo score the only goal of the inaugural Europa Conference League final, as Roma beat Feyenoord, yet his time at the Stadio Olimpico may be up.

    Speaking to DAZN, Pinto said Roma would not be able to buy a player to take Zaniolo's place before sealing the sale of the former Inter youth-team player.

    He, too, is frustrated by Zaniolo's stalling on a transfer, with time at a premium.

    "We found this solution following a request from the player and, as you know, with all the limits that we have with financial fair play we are not exactly a company that can yield to Zaniolo's no and take on other players," Pinto said.

    "We are always bound by those limits. Now we have another 48 hours, let's see what happens. I don't want to dwell on this issue, it is really a difficult situation for us."

  • Gordon explains Newcastle move to Everton fans: 'I know many won't understand' Gordon explains Newcastle move to Everton fans: 'I know many won't understand'

    Anthony Gordon penned an emotional message to the Everton fans after leaving his boyhood club for Newcastle United in a £45milion transfer on Sunday.

    In his post, hours after joining Newcastle, the England Under-21 winger acknowledged many Toffees supporters will not forgive him.

    Gordon played a key part in Everton achieving Premier League survival last season, but he failed to live up to those standards as the team struggled again this term.

    Having been linked with moves to Chelsea, Newcastle and Tottenham at the start of the campaign, Gordon came in for particular abuse from sections of the Everton support.

    Social media footage showed Gordon's car being held up outside Goodison Park following a recent home defeat to relegation rivals Southampton.

    Gordon has now secured an exit to high-flying Newcastle and is excited about his "next chapter", but a message on his Twitter page paid tribute to Everton staff, team-mates and fans.

    "I came to this club at the age of 11, and not only did it give me a place to play football, but it gave me a second family," he wrote.

    "The club has shaped me into the footballer and more importantly the person I am today. It has given me everything I could have asked for and more."

    He added: "Last year felt so surreal because all of my childhood dreams were becoming reality. I wish I could relive some of [those] days, but I'll settle for the memories, which will last a lifetime for me.

    "To the fans, you gave me some of the best nights of my life. You made me a better player. I have always thrived off your energy, and you always made me run harder and faster.

    "There [have] been some difficult moments this year, but I never took any of it personally; stick by the team because they need you."

    Gordon, who said he would "miss everyone deeply", continued: "I love this club and I always have from the day I joined, but the time has come for me to leave.

    "I know many won't understand, but the next chapter awaits. I will always wish the best for this club and always be watching on.

    "From the bottom of my heart, thank you and good luck."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.