Modric to miss Madrid's Champions League clash at RB Leipzig

By Sports Desk October 24, 2022

Real Madrid will be without Luka Modric when they face RB Leipzig in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Modric did not travel to Germany with the Madrid squad on Monday after he was a late withdrawal from the squad.

The midfielder opened the scoring in a 3-1 LaLiga defeat of Sevilla on Saturday before being substituted after 77 minutes.

The club did not state why Modric will miss the game against Bundesliga side Leipzig.

A club statement said: "Luka Modric won't play in tomorrow's Champions League group stage match between Real Madrid and Leipzig, at the RB Arena.

"The Croatian had been named in [head coach,Carlo] Ancelotti’s squad for the game, but is a last-minute withdrawal and won't be travelling with the team to Leipzig."

Ballon d'Or winner Karim Benzema and Federico Valverde also remain sidelined due to injury.

Holders Madrid have already secured their place in the round of 16 and can win Group F if they avoid defeat.

Related items

  • Aguero offers Man City Haaland warning, says only Messi can win titles alone Aguero offers Man City Haaland warning, says only Messi can win titles alone

    Erling Haaland needs support from his Manchester City team-mates to deliver the Premier League title, says Sergio Aguero, who believes only Lionel Messi can carry a side to major honours on his own.

    Haaland reached 25 goals for the Premier League season with a hat-trick as City thrashed Wolves 3-0 in their most recent outing in the competition.

    The Norwegian's fourth Premier League treble took him beyond the tally of 23 goals managed by last term's joint Golden Boot winners Mohamed Salah and Son Heung-min with 18 games of the campaign remaining. 

    Despite Haaland's exploits, Pep Guardiola's side trail league leaders Arsenal by five points having played an additional game, and City great Aguero says the striker cannot do it alone.

    Asked whether Haaland can inspire City to a fifth league title in six seasons, Aguero told Stake.com: "We'll have to see that yet.

    "There's still plenty of the season to go. Haaland, who has been racking up numbers that will break historical records, will play a major part in it. 

    "In any case, except Leo, there's no one player who can win a league on their own. 

    "It's about the team, and City have got a very talented roster and exceptional staff. They've given plenty of evidence of their great stature, and you know they'll fight until the very end."

    While City have struggled to keep pace with Arsenal so far this season, five-time Premier League winner Aguero remains confident Guardiola's men can overturn the Gunners' lead.

    "I wouldn't say that Man City aren't clicking. The Premier League is the most competitive league there is," he continued. 

    "It's perfectly normal to see the top contenders get reinforcements and go back to their historical standards. 

    "City have won four out of the last five Premier Leagues. They're still in the fight, and that needs to be recognised. [They are] prowling from the second position, ready to strike. Anything can happen."

    City will travel to Arsenal for the duo's first league meeting of the season on February 15, after facing Tottenham and Aston Villa in their next two fixtures.

  • New Simeone? Howe did not learn 'dark arts' from Atletico coach New Simeone? Howe did not learn 'dark arts' from Atletico coach

    Eddie Howe was amused by the suggestion he might be the "new Diego Simeone" following accusations of Newcastle United employing Atletico Madrid's "dark arts" this season.

    Newcastle are enjoying an outstanding season, third in the Premier League and on the eve of the home leg of an EFL Cup semi-final.

    Having been more concerned with a relegation battle this time a year ago than any cup progress, the Magpies need only avoid defeat against Southampton on Tuesday to make a first major final since 1999.

    Liverpool were the last top-flight team to beat Newcastle way back in August, their sole league reverse this season, but their approach both in that match and in subsequent tussles with elite opposition has been the source of some debate.

    Newcastle, whose coach Howe spent time studying Simeone's Atletico after leaving Bournemouth, have received five yellow cards for time-wasting this season, fewer only than Aston Villa and Fulham.

    In relation to this trait, Howe was asked if he was the "new Diego Simeone" and laughed before replying: "It's so funny how things can be blown out of all proportion.

    "Yes, I did go and see a couple of Diego Simeone's training sessions, and I have huge respect for him as a coach and a manager.

    "But literally they're one-hour training sessions and then you go. Certainly I took nothing of the 'dark arts' from Diego.

    "I'm very much the same manager [he was before]. I've changed slightly because I've got older and I've got new ideas, and I'm always looking to evolve my work and improve.

    "I'm still fundamentally the same manager with the same principles and the same beliefs in style of play.

    "I just think I've become different from managing Newcastle. I think, naturally, managing this club is a huge challenge, so you evolve in that way."

    Newcastle's strong defensive record is also comparable to Simeone's best Atletico sides, keeping a Europe-leading 16 clean sheets in all competitions.

    But Howe is not planning to protect a draw against Southampton as he urges his Newcastle team, who have been wasteful of late, to attack their opponents in the manner popular former manager Kevin Keegan did.

    "The template is to entertain – of course, within the Kevin framework," he said. "We want Newcastle supporters to come to the game excited about what they're going to see.

    "It's to attack, it's to be front-foot, and it's also to try to win."

    Southampton were the last team to score against Nick Pope, back in early November, and boss Nathan Jones does not believe a win on Tyneside is beyond the Premier League's basement side, who lost 1-0 in the first leg.

    "It's not 'mission impossible' by a long chalk. It's a game of football," Jones said. "Anything can happen.

    "We have to be the best versions of ourselves – we know that's what we have to do. We have to have a game plan, we have to be good, and we have to execute it.

    "Newcastle are in good form, but they're not going to go the rest of their lives without getting beaten, so why not get beaten tomorrow night? That's what we have to attempt to do.

    "We'll go there in good spirits, we felt we played well in the first leg. If we'd had a bit more belief in the first half and been a bit more aggressive, it could have been something different.

    "We had a really good chance to take the lead. There's a lot of positives to come out of it.

    "It's definitely not 'mission impossible', and not even 'improbable'. It's a really acutely poised cup tie. That's how we're treating it."

  • Brighton sign midfielder Ayari amid Caicedo speculation Brighton sign midfielder Ayari amid Caicedo speculation

    Brighton and Hove Albion have completed the signing of Yasin Ayari as speculation over Moises Caicedo's future continues.

    Ayari, a Sweden international who plays in central midfield, has signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Brighton after joining from AIK.

    The 19-year-old has reportedly cost Brighton £5.2million (€6m).

    "Yasin is a versatile and technical midfield player, who is good on the ball and capable of playing across the midfield," said Brighton's sporting director David Weir.

    "He's had an impressive spell in Sweden with AIK, and we are delighted to have completed his transfer and to be welcoming him to the club.

    "He will need time to settle here and acclimatise to the Premier League, but we are really looking forward to working with him."

    While Ayari is viewed as one for the future, he may be required to step up to the first team ahead of schedule should Caicedo have his wish to leave Brighton granted in the final days of the transfer window.

    Caicedo has told Brighton he wishes to leave, with league leaders Arsenal having submitted a bid, reported to be £60m, last week.

    The Ecuador international posted an open message to Brighton on Friday, saying he was "proud to be able to bring in a record transfer fee for Brighton which would allow them to reinvest it and help the club continue to be successful".

    Caicedo was not involved in Brighton's 2-1 FA Cup win against Liverpool on Sunday, and Arsenal are said to have lodged a new offer worth £70m.

    Brighton have already sold one of their stars to the Gunners this month, with Leandro Trossard having joined Mikel Arteta's side.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.