EPL

Tottenham 'devastated' as fitness coach Gian Piero Ventrone dies

By Sports Desk October 06, 2022

Tottenham have announced the death of their fitness coach Gian Piero Ventrone.

Ventrone joined Tottenham last November as part of Antonio Conte's backroom staff. The Italian had previously spent a decade at Juventus and also worked for Catania, JS Suning, GZ Evergrande and Ajaccio.

Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport said Ventrone died on Thursday morning in Naples.

Spurs said they were "devastated" by the news.

In a statement, the club added: "As loveable off the pitch as he was demanding on it, Gian Piero quickly became a hugely popular figure with players and staff.

"He will be greatly missed by everyone at the club and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this impossibly sad time."

Ventrone was nicknamed 'The Marine' due to his diligent approach to training.

Spurs forward Son Heung-min embraced the Italian on the touchline after netting a hat-trick against Leicester City last month to break his scoring duck for the season.

"I have a really good relationship with Gian Piero," Son said at the time. "His English is not perfect. Sometimes he comes in with his phone and translates from Italian.

"I think life-wise he gives me so much advice, which I am really grateful. He has been so helpful, giving me always a big hug in tough times and even great times he has always been next to me and every staff."

Son's team-mate Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, speaking during Tottenham's brutal pre-season training camp in July, said: "It's all love for Gian Piero.

"Normally when you have a fitness coach like that who is running you ragged, you start to not like him, but that’s not the case. We all absolutely love him. We've got so much respect for him that we do whatever he tells us to."

Ventrone, who was 62 according to Italian media, was reportedly suffering with leukaemia at the time of his death. His family said his funeral would take place on Sunday.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man City to use Grealish in deal with Dortmund for Bellingham Rumour Has It: Man City to use Grealish in deal with Dortmund for Bellingham

    Jude Bellingham is expected to leave Borussia Dortmund at the end of this season, with numerous clubs lining up to sign him.

    The England international, who has impressed during the World Cup, is contracted with Dortmund until 2025.

    It has been speculated that Bellingham will cost English clubs more than £100million to fund the deal.

    TOP STORY – CITY TO USE GREALISH IN DEAL FOR BELLINGHAM

    Manchester City will dangle Jack Grealish to Borussia Dortmund as part of a deal to land Bellingham, claims Football Insider.

    Grealish, who City signed for £100m from Aston Villa 18 months ago, has not fully convinced since his switch to the English champions.

    According to the report, City are intensifying their interest in Bellingham and are willing to use Grealish.

    Le10Sport have also reported French powerhouse Paris Saint-Germain are also interested in 19-year-old Bellingham.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Liverpool are plotting a surprise move for Juventus forward Dusan Vlahovic, reports Calciomercato. The Serbian striker has scored six Serie A goals this term.

    – Mundo Deportivo reports Borussia Dortmund's Thomas Meunier is willing to listen to offers from Milan, Juventus, Manchester United and two other Premier League clubs if Barcelona do not bid for him.

    – Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix is open to a Premier League switch amid interest from Chelsea, claims GiveMeSport transfer expert Dean Jones.

    – Calciomercato reports that Arsenal are interested in a January move for Real Madrid's Marco Asensio.

    Leeds United are interested in a January move for Newcastle forward Chris Wood, claims Football Insider. Wood left Leeds for Burnley in 2017.

  • 'Lotta bark, no bite': Depay mocks Barkley after Dutch down USA 'Lotta bark, no bite': Depay mocks Barkley after Dutch down USA

    Memphis Depay has taken a swipe at ex-NBA star and American TV analyst Charles Barkley following the Netherlands' 3-1 win over the United States in the World Cup round of 16 on Saturday.

    Depay opened the scoring in the victory, which came after Barkley had started trash talk in the lead-up to the knockout stage clash.

    Barkley said on NBA on TNT: "We're going for the Netherlands. We opening up a can of whoop-a** 'cause I guarantee the Netherlands is in trouble."

    The official Dutch team Twitter account responded with a hype video of Barkley's quotes shortly prior to kick-off with Barcelona attacker having the last laugh.

    "Lotta bark, no bite," Depay posted on Twitter only a few hours after the game, with an image of a forlorn-looking Barkley under the 3-1 scoreline.

    The victory means the Netherlands will take on Argentina in the quarter-finals, while the USA's World Cup is over.

  • De Ligt unfazed by selection snub: 'I expected to play nothing' at this World Cup De Ligt unfazed by selection snub: 'I expected to play nothing' at this World Cup

    Matthijs de Ligt has no issues with being left out of Louis van Gaal's starting line-up for the Netherlands' past three games as he "expected to play nothing" at this World Cup.

    De Ligt came on as a 93rd-minute substitute in the Netherlands' 3-1 win over the United States in Saturday's last-16 encounter.

    That marked the 23-year-old's first appearance for the Oranje since starting in their World Cup opener, the 2-0 win over Senegal, having been demoted to the bench by Van Gaal for the ensuing three games.

    "It's not so frustrating, honestly," De Ligt told The Athletic. "Every player wants to play but we are a group of 26 players.

    "Honestly, I have played more than I expected to play at this World Cup. I expected to play nothing. I'm quite okay. We won together and we are in a quarter-final."

    The defender, who has established himself at Bayern Munich since his off-season switch from Juventus, has seen Ajax 21-year-old Jurrien Timber take his place alongside Nathan Ake and Virgil van Dijk in Van Gaal's back three.

    "No, it's just the way of playing," De Ligt replied when asked if injury was behind his non-selection. "Maybe the coach doesn't put me in the team and I am okay with that. I expected it.

    "So for me it's fine. I know my role and I train hard every day to be important for the team."

    Meanwhile, Van Dijk backed 23-year-old Netherlands team-mate Cody Gakpo to take the next step in his career.

    Gakpo, who scored in all three of the Dutch's World Cup group-stage wins, has been linked with Manchester United and Real Madrid.

    "Are Manchester United and Real Madrid the same level at this moment? No disrespect, not at all," Liverpool defender Van Dijk told The Athletic.

    "I think he definitely has a next step in him. I definitely feel like it could happen. Whether it happens in the winter or next year, time will tell.

    "But he's a great boy. Works hard, is very talented and there's definitely more in him. We are very pleased he's doing so well and long may it continue."

    Gakpo would not be drawn on his future after the win over USA, while United defender Tyrell Malacia backed him to step up should an opportunity arise.

    "He's good enough for the top, there's no doubt," Malacia said.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.