Alexander-Arnold optimistic after downing Rangers but admits poor Liverpool start

By Sports Desk October 04, 2022

Trent Alexander-Arnold acknowledged he has made a slow start to his season with Liverpool but remains optimistic for the remainder of the campaign after silencing his doubters with a great strike against Rangers.

The right-back has come under criticism for his defensive capabilities amid an underwhelming spell of form for Liverpool, with Alexander-Arnold also unused by Gareth Southgate and England in September.

Gary Neville hailed the potential of Alexander-Arnold, likening his ability to Cafu on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football, but detailed the defensive failings that are causing repeated problems for the 23-year-old.

Alexander-Arnold responded by curling a seventh-minute opener against Rangers in the Champions League, though he admitted he has been out of form this term thus far.

"No matter what I always try and think positively, people will say things but for me, it's about going out there and performing for the team," he told BT Sport.

"Going out there, getting the wins and helping the team is the most important thing. It has been a slow start to the season for me, but I am looking forward to the rest of the season.

"The performance was great from the lads, we never really got going on Saturday [a 3-3 draw with Brighton and Hove Albion in the Premier League], our press was poor and we were slow out the blocks.

"It was the complete opposite today, we started well and continued throughout the game. They had their spells, especially in the second half, but we were outstanding."

Alexander-Arnold's opening goal was his sixth free-kick goal in all competitions since the start of the 2016-17 season, with no Liverpool player scoring more times from free-kick situations in that period.

"I don't normally score them from that side I usually go from the other side of the pitch," he continued.

"For me, it was about getting it on target, when I am practising, rebounds and all that makes it the most dangerous situation."

Victory kept Liverpool three points behind Group A leaders Napoli, who thrashed Ajax 6-1 in the other game on Tuesday, with a return trip to Rangers coming next week for the Reds.

Jurgen Klopp's side must first visit Premier League leaders Arsenal on Sunday, with Alexander-Arnold relishing a busy schedule heading into the World Cup in November.

"This year is going to be very intense. It's what we're used to, three games a week," he added. "There are no excuses. With the games coming thick and fast, it's exciting for us."

Related items

  • Phillips confirms Rice is 'fine' to play in England's World Cup quarter-final against France Phillips confirms Rice is 'fine' to play in England's World Cup quarter-final against France

    Declan Rice is fit to play for England against France in their World Cup quarter-final, Three Lions team-mate Kalvin Phillips confirmed.

    Rice missed England's training session on Wednesday because of illness, sparking fears over his ability to play against the reigning world champions on Saturday.

    But Phillips, who formed a vital partnership with Rice in England's route to the Euro 2020 final, allayed any worries over the West Ham midfielder's availability.

    "I believe Dec [Rice] is fit," Phillips told reporters at his pre-match news conference. "He's back in training and he's fine."

    After playing such a vital role at the European Champions last year, Phillips has played just 40 minutes off the bench in Qatar, in part due to only recently returning from shoulder surgery.

    However, Phillips insists he is ready to fill in if Rice does experience any problems against France, saying: "If something goes wrong then I'll be there and I'll do my best to be fit for 90 minutes.

    "I want to play as many minutes as possible. Regardless of whether Dec is playing or I am, we'll do our best."

    Another reason for Phillips' limited time on the pitch has been the emergence of 19-year-old Jude Bellingham, who has been widely praised for his excellent tournament displays at such a young age.

    Asked whether he is enjoying the tournament less because of his reduced minutes, the Manchester City man insisted he was still happy, and also praised those preferred to him.

    "I am still enjoying it. I am still having loads of fun," Phillips explained. "I'm not playing as much, which can be frustrating, but if you look at the players playing ahead of me and how well they are doing, I can't really argue.

    "I just need to keep working hard and getting fitter and fitter and then make an impact when I come on and be solid when I come on."

    Much of the talk in the build-up to England's quarter-final clash has centred on how manager Gareth Southgate will combat the threat of tournament top goalscorer Kylian Mbappe.

    Phillips' City team-mate Kyle Walker is the man many feel will be chosen to deal with Mbappe, though the defender only recently returned from injury.

    While Phillips lauded Mbappe's abilities, he is confident Walker will be up to the task of defending against him, adding: "We know he [Mbappe] is an amazing player and he has been one of the top players for the last few years.

    "But if there was anyone I would like to put up against Mbappe, it would be Kyle Walker because he is an unbelievable defender and probably the only one that is quicker than him as well."

  • Ten Hag: Man Utd display in Cadiz defeat 'not acceptable' Ten Hag: Man Utd display in Cadiz defeat 'not acceptable'

    Erik ten Hag accused his Manchester United players of "sleeping" in their friendly defeat to Cadiz and says the first-half display was "not acceptable".

    United lost 4-2 to the LaLiga strugglers at Estadio Nuevo Mirandilla on Wednesday in their first of two warm-up matches before the season resumes in a fortnight.

    The Red Devils were two down inside 14 minutes in Spain, but they levelled up through Anthony Martial's penalty and a deflected Kobbie Mainoo strike either side of half-time.

    But United, who fielded different sides in each half, conceded two more goals and manager Ten Hag was not pleased with what he saw from his experimental side.

    "It is quite clear. We were not awake, still sleeping, in first 15 minutes," he told MUTV. "They are a threat in transition. We have seen, the second goal can't happen. 

    "We were not awake in the defence but also in the midfield we got run off. It's not possible and it's not acceptable.

    "After that, we came into the game and got a penalty. I think it was a clear one and I think maybe the second half we deserved another penalty, but the first one was a clear one. 

    "We came in the game, but we couldn't make the equaliser before half-time."

    United were without 15 players who have been, or still are, taking part in the World Cup, and Ten Hag used the friendly as a chance to give some younger players some action.

    "They gave energy," Ten Hag said of the youngsters such as Shola Shoretire and goalscorer Mainoo. "They run; they fight.

    "They're maybe not always in the right organisation, so they make mistakes because they are not used to playing in this level. It was a good lesson.

    "You see that if you make small mistakes, they have big consequences and that's what happened."

    Victor Lindelof, Scott McTominay, Donny van Beek and Martial were among the players to start for United, who face Real Betis next on Saturday.

    Reflecting on what was a first run-out for his players since beating Fulham 2-1 on November 13, Ten Hag said: "We've spoken about the game and we'll do so again tomorrow.

    "Then we have to strike it, draw a line and then move on. It can't happen in the future. The first 15 minutes cannot happen. That's not our standard and that should not happen."

    United's first game after the World Cup break is against Burnley in the EFL Cup last 16 on December 21, before facing Nottingham Forest in the Premier League six days later.

  • Ziyech needs 'change of air' and should join Man Utd – El Haddaoui Ziyech needs 'change of air' and should join Man Utd – El Haddaoui

    Hakim Ziyech needs a "change of air" and should join Manchester United from Chelsea, former Morocco international Mustapha El Haddaoui has told Stats Perform.

    The 29-year-old has fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge, with just one start and five appearances in the Premier League this season.

    A major U-turn occurred at international level, however, with Ziyech back in the fold for Morocco following Vahid Halilhodzic's exit and the arrival of Walid Regragui.

    Ziyech has played a key part in the side's stellar performances at the World Cup, with the Atlas Lions reaching the quarter-finals for the first time in their history and becoming the first African side to reach the last eight since Ghana in 2010.

    El Haddaoui is now calling for a similar turnaround at club level, as he wants to see a move across the Premier League to reunite with Erik ten Hag, who Ziyech played under at Ajax.

    "He has to change of air because over there, [Chelsea] don't trust him. Now he is coming back very strong," he said.

    "His problem with Vahid, who didn't want to call him, disturbed him. In the national team, when there is a FIFA date, everyone joins their selections. He stays there [in London] and it went around in his head.

    "He sees that among the others who are with him at Chelsea, who go to the national team, he is of the same level, even superior, and he has lost a little bit of confidence.

    "The coach who was there or the one who arrived afterwards didn't have much confidence in him.

    "Afterwards, when you don't play, you lack playing time, you lack motivation, and you lack timing in the match. Now we see his potential, we see what he is capable of, but he has many offers.

    "He has to move from Chelsea or go to Manchester United because the Ajax coach wanted him, he had him in his team. But he will bounce back. But now he has to leave during the transfer window."

    Morocco's performances at the World Cup have inspired hope across the African continent, though El Haddaoui was always optimistic about the Atlas Lions.

    "It's not just a pleasure, it's an exceptional joy, given what this team has shown, this Moroccan team," he added.

    "I believed in it from the start. When the draw was made, I told myself that Morocco had a chance and that they would go through to the second round with another country. I knew that this generation had potential.

    "Moreover, with the change of coach, the arrival of Walid Regragui has given new life to this team and the players. He made a call for the return of Ziyech and [Noussair] Mazraoui.

    "How can we do without this world-class player? I hope we will go all the way. We were dreaming about it, but now it's starting to happen."

    Portugal stand in the way in Morocco's bid to become the first African nation to reach the semi-finals of the World Cup, with a meeting set for Saturday at Al Thumama Stadium.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.