EPL

Man Utd announce big losses with recruitment plans 'ahead of schedule'

By Sports Desk September 22, 2022

Manchester United football director John Murtough says the club are "ahead of schedule" with their recruitment plans as they posted big losses for the 2021-22 season.

United lost £115.8million last season, despite revenues rising by 18 per cent to £583m.

The club's debt rose from £419.5m in 2021 to £514.9m this year, an increase of more than 22 per cent, while transfer activity saw wages leap by 19.1 per cent to £384.2m.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho were among United's recruits last year, with the Red Devils then spending heavily ahead of the current campaign following the appointment of Erik ten Hag.

Murtough says such an outlay was necessary, after a sixth-place finish in the Premier League last term saw United miss out on Champions League football, but the level of spending will be reduced for future windows.

"During the summer we made significant investment in the first team squad with the permanent addition of five regular starters, including a balance of experienced international players and younger, emerging talent," he said on Thursday.

"We also saw a higher-than-usual number of departures, and this was an equally important part of refreshing the squad after the disappointing 2021-22 season.

"We will continue to support Erik in ensuring he has players with the right quality and characters to achieve success, while ensuring that investment remains consistent with our commitment to financial sustainability.

"Overall, we are ahead of schedule in our recruitment plans as envisaged at the start of the summer, and we do not anticipate the same level of activity in future windows. As always, our planning focuses on the summer window."

United signed Lisandro Martinez, Anthony, Casemiro, Christian Eriksen, Tyrell Malacia and Martin Dubravka following the appointment of Ten Hag from Ajax.

The cost of terminating previous boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's contract, as well as that of interim manager Ralf Rangnick, who did not take up a two-year consultancy role at the end of last season, and their coaching staff amounted to £24.7m.

Related items

  • Frank: Toney needs to 'prove people wrong' Frank: Toney needs to 'prove people wrong'

    Brentford head coach Thomas Frank believes Ivan Toney can "prove people wrong" after failing to get on the pitch in either of England's Nations League games over the international break.

    Toney was left out of the matchday squad by Gareth Southgate for the 1-0 defeat to Italy and, while he was included in the 23 players chosen for the Germany match, he was not called upon off the bench.

    The 26-year-old had been called up for the first time by Southgate after a superb start to the season in which he netted five times in Brentford's first six league games.

    And Frank says Toney must use this disappointment to fuel his performances for the Bees, telling reporters: "Of course Ivan hoped to come on the pitch. 

    "I think in life and football the way you get success is you can show resilience and come back from smaller setbacks.

    "It is a minor setback, a minor disappointment, but you need to move forward and just prove people wrong by performing well and that's the only thing he can do.

    "So it's actually relatively simple. But a little bit more difficult of course to do it day in day out. But Ivan has a strong mentality and he will do everything he can to perform well."

  • Galtier 'not surprised' by Fournier's comments Galtier 'not surprised' by Fournier's comments

    Paris Saint-Germain head coach Christophe Galtier is "not surprised" by some strong comments made by former colleague Julien Fournier regarding their time together at Nice.

    Galtier joined Nice ahead of the 2021-22 campaign after winning the Ligue 1 title with Lille, but he stayed at the Allianz Riviera for just one year before making the move to PSG.

    Speaking on RMC show 'After Foot' on Wednesday, ex-Nice director of football Fournier suggested Galtier's exit came down to more than just football reasons.

    "It's common knowledge that the relationship I had with Christophe was quite chaotic from the start of the season," said Fournier, who himself left for Parma in July 

    "Quite honestly, if I explain the real reasons we argued, Christophe would no longer be allowed in a locker room, neither in France nor in Europe.

    "But it was not about football matters. These are much more serious things from my point of view. It was indirectly linked to football. These are things that affect me deeply. 

    "We finished the season and we, him and I, were as professional as possible to limit the negative impact that it could have had on the team. Then there was the separation."

    Galtier was asked about those remarks at a pre-match press conference on Thursday ahead of his first meeting with Nice since joining PSG.

    "He is pretentious," Galtier told reporters. "I am not surprised at the way he expressed himself. I don't want to get tired of debating on everything that was said.

    "If we do that, the way it works means we create one debate after another. I'm not surprised about what I heard knowing the character. That's all I've got to say."

    Galtier won 23 of his 43 matches in charge of Nice last season and guided the club to a fifth-place finish in Ligue 1.

    He departed with the best points-per-game record of any coach in Nice's Ligue 1 history, with his return of 1.76 marginally better than current incumbent Lucien Favre's 1.67.

    Galtier's Nice went unbeaten against PSG last season and were the only side to keep clean sheets in both matches against the Parisians.

    However, PSG welcome the Eagles to Parc des Princes on Saturday having won seven of their opening eight matches, scoring 26 goals and conceding only four in the process.

    Asked if his side are prepared for the challenge on the back of a two-week international break, Galtier said: "We have to get back to normal as quickly as possible.

    "We've worked for the past 10 days with five players. This is the first game in a long series. There are 13 games to go before the World Cup and we are preparing carefully."

  • Conte rubbishes 'disrespectful' Juventus links ahead of North London Derby Conte rubbishes 'disrespectful' Juventus links ahead of North London Derby

    Antonio Conte described reports linking him with a return to Juventus as "disrespectful" ahead of Tottenham's North London Derby clash with Arsenal.

    Spurs are unbeaten in their seven Premier League games this season and trail the Gunners by just one point ahead of Saturday's trip to the Emirates Stadium. 

    Should Tottenham avoid defeat at the home of their local rivals, it will be just the second time they have gone unbeaten through their first eight games of a Premier League season, having previously done so in 2016-17.

    Conte's work with Tottenham has seen him linked with a return to Juventus, who he led to three consecutive Serie A titles between 2011-12 and 2013-14.

    Bianconeri boss Massimiliano Allegri is under pressure after they recorded just two wins in their opening seven Serie A matches this season, but Conte has rubbished speculation he would be tempted by a return to Turin. 

    "This is incredible. In this period I think this is disrespectful for the coach that works in Juventus and for me working in Tottenham," Conte said on Thursday.

    "We have just started the season. Many times I have spoken about this topic and I've always said I'm happy and enjoying my time with Tottenham. 

    "We have the whole season to find the best solution for the club and for me, and for sure I'm enjoying my time at Tottenham. I have a great relationship with the owner [Daniel Levy] and [sporting director Fabio] Paratici. 

    "I don't see any problems at the moment in the future. We both signed the contract. I don't want to listen to someone speaking about this."

    Tottenham overcame Arsenal in a tense battle for Champions League qualification last season, going on to claim fourth place after beating the Gunners 3-0 in May.

    Conte, however, believes Mikel Arteta's side have improved since then, adding: "For sure Arsenal had a fantastic start, they lost only one game against [Manchester] United. They are showing to be a really good team.

    "In the summer they made good signings and improved the team that, don't forget, before the last three games of last season, were four points up on us. 

    "We are talking about a really good team that, last season, we did a really good job to overcome in the last three games.

    "At the same time, I know the quality of this team, that they are working with Arteta for many years. For me, he's a really good coach. He can have in front of him a great career."

    Both Hugo Lloris and Dejan Kulusevski are reportedly doubtful for the trip to Arsenal with minor injuries, and Conte believes the punishing nature of the schedule between now and the World Cup will reveal which sides are genuine title contenders. 

    "I have seen that many clubs are having big problems with players that played these two games [in the international break], and for sure Tottenham is one of these clubs," he added.

    "You have to understand this was the last game [for the players] to show they deserve to play the World Cup, also for the coaches it was the last period to call the players.

    "For sure, to play so many games before the international break, and then again now to play 13 games in 43 days, it's crazy, it's crazy. 

    "For sure, we have to face it with injuries. In this period, you understand which are the really competitive squads. 

    "This is the moment in which you understand who are the title contenders and the teams that are competitive for Champions League."

    Saturday's match will be the first North London Derby since December 2007 to begin with one of the sides sitting top of the Premier League. 

    Should Spurs win, it would be the first time in top-flight history that either of the teams has beaten the other to replace them at the top of the table.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.