Todibo attacks 'scandalous' refereeing after nine-second red card for Nice's former Barca defender

By Sports Desk September 18, 2022

Jean-Clair Todibo condemned refereeing in Ligue 1 as "scandalous" after being sent off just nine seconds into Nice's home game against Angers.

The former Barcelona player was red-carded after a clumsy tackle on Abdallah Sima when he was considered the last man by referee Bastien Dechepy.

It was the fastest card – yellow or red – shown in Ligue 1 since Opta started collecting data in the league in the 2006-07 season.

Defender Todibo clearly felt there was cover, with Dante also in close attendance to Sima when the challenge was made.

The 22-year-old reacted on Twitter, writing: "A refereeing decision that shocks me and condemns my team to start the match with a big disadvantage.

"The decisions of the referees at the start of the season are very questionable, even scandalous and I hope that the @LFPfr will do something to remedy it."

It remains to be seen what the Ligue Professionnel de Football makes of that message, and whether the accusation might serve only to compound Todibo's problems.

There was dismay at the red card in the Nice ranks, with captain Dante frustrated to see his team down to 10 men so early.

Nice went on to lose 1-0, with Nabil Bentaleb getting the only goal shortly before half-time. Angers also had a player sent off as Sofiane Boufal saw red in the 62nd minute for a second bookable offence.

Dante told Prime Video: "When you receive a red card after a few seconds of play, of course it gets bizarre.

"It doesn't happen every weekend. It got us in trouble. We were really well prepared to win this match, we wanted to put some intensity into the first quarter of an hour."

Nice made a number of high-profile moves in the transfer window but have made a surprisingly slow start to the Ligue 1 season, winning just two of their opening eight games.

 

Related items

  • Brazil attack 'terrifying' but Croatia have no fear ahead of quarter-final clash, says Dalic Brazil attack 'terrifying' but Croatia have no fear ahead of quarter-final clash, says Dalic

    Zlatko Dalic says Brazil's "terrifying" attack makes them the best team at the World Cup but the Croatia coach is adamant his team do not fear the Selecao ahead of Friday's

    Croatia, runners-up in 2018, beat Japan on penalties following a hard-fought 1-1 draw in Monday's last-16 tie, setting up a meeting with the favourites

    Brazil raced to a statement 4-1 win over South Korea to cruise into the last eight, scoring all of their goals in the opening 36 minutes.

    With Neymar returning from injury to take his place alongside Vinicius Junior, Richarlison and Raphinha in a star-studded frontline, Dalic knows Croatia face the sternest of challenges.

    "Brazil is the favourite, let's face it," Dalic said on Tuesday. "Brazil is the most powerful and the best national team at the World Cup.

     "What I've seen so far, when you take a look at their selection of players, their quality, skills and value, then it is indeed terrifying.

    "I think we have a great exam ahead of us, a tough task against the team which plays great soccer with so many good quality and fast players."

    Croatia have reached at least the semi-finals at both previous World Cups when they advanced from their group (1998 and 2018), and Dalic says his side should not be written off.

    "I think we have nothing to fear," Dalic said. "We need to enter the match with much faith, self-confidence and looking for our chances. Enjoy the occasion of playing Brazil, that's it. 

    "[It's] too early, if only it were the final. It is a great team, but I believe that we can challenge them. We need to be smart. The match is not 50-50, but we are also not outsiders."

  • Eto'o apologises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win Eto'o apologises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win

    Samuel Eto'o has apologised for "reacting in a way that does not match my personality" during a "violent altercation" after Brazil's win over South Korea on Monday.

    A video was widely circulated on social media on Tuesday of Eto'o, who won 118 caps for Cameroon during a decorated playing career, clashing with a man outside Stadium 974 before appearing to knee him in the face.

    In a statement posted on his Twitter account, Eto'o – who is now president of the Cameroonian Football Federation – apologised for his involvement in the incident, which he blamed on the ongoing fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win over Algeria in March.

    The Algerian Football Federation called for a replay of the second leg after what they described as "scandalous" refereeing decisions.

    Cameroon reached Qatar 2022 courtesy of Karl Toko Ekambi's 124th-minute winner, and former Barcelona and Inter striker Eto'o believes Monday's incident was the latest in a line of "relentless provocation and daily harassment" by Algeria supporters.

    "On December 5, after the Brazil-South Korea match, I had a violent altercation with a person who was probably an Algerian supporter," the statement read.

    "I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality. I apologise to the public for this unfortunate incident.

    "I pledge to continue to resist the relentless provocation and daily harassment of some Algerian supporters.

    "Indeed, since the Cameroon-Algeria match on 29 March in Blida, I have been the target of insults and allegations of cheating without any evidence.

    "During this World Cup, Cameroonian fans have been harassed and pestered by Algerians on the same subject. I would like to mention that the scenario of Algeria's defeat was cruel but perfectly in line with the rules and ethics of our sport.

    "All the appeals made by the Algerian Football Federation to the competent jurisdictions have been rejected.

    "I therefore call on Algerian authorities and Federation to take their responsibilities to put an end to this unhealthy climate before a more serious tragedy occurs.

    "To Fennecs' fans, I wish that they find peace and manage to overcome the disappointment of a painful defeat, now behind us."

  • Eto'o apolgises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win Eto'o apolgises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win

    Samuel Eto'o has apologised for "reacting in a way that does not match my personality" during a "violent altercation" after Brazil's win over South Korea on Monday.

    A video was widely circulated on social media on Tuesday of Eto'o, who won 118 caps for Cameroon during a decorated playing career, clashing with a man outside Stadium 974 before appearing to knee him in the face.

    In a statement posted on his Twitter account, Eto'o – who is now president of the Cameroonian Football Federation – apologised for his involvement in the incident, which he blamed on the ongoing fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win over Algeria in March.

    The Algerian Football Federation called for a replay of the second leg after what they described as "scandalous" refereeing decisions.

    Cameroon reached Qatar 2022 courtesy of Karl Toko Ekambi's 124th-minute winner, and former Barcelona and Inter striker Eto'o believes Monday's incident was the latest in a line of "relentless provocation and daily harassment" by Algeria supporters.

    "On December 5, after the Brazil-South Korea match, I had a violent altercation with a person who was probably an Algerian supporter," the statement read.

    "I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality. I apologise to the public for this unfortunate incident.

    "I pledge to continue to resist the relentless provocation and daily harassment of some Algerian supporters.

    "Indeed, since the Cameroon-Algeria match on 29 March in Blida, I have been the target of insults and allegations of cheating without any evidence.

    "During this World Cup, Cameroonian fans have been harassed and pestered by Algerians on the same subject. I would like to mention that the scenario of Algeria's defeat was cruel but perfectly in line with the rules and ethics of our sport.

    "All the appeals made by the Algerian Football Federation to the competent jurisdictions have been rejected.

    "I therefore call on Algerian authorities and Federation to take their responsibilities to put an end to this unhealthy climate before a more serious tragedy occurs.

    "To Fennecs' fans, I wish that they find peace and manage to overcome the disappointment of a painful defeat, now behind us."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.