Atletico's clash with Porto marks rare Champions League feat after stoppage-time drama

By Sports Desk September 07, 2022

Atletico Madrid and Porto played out an eventful stoppage-time on Wednesday, becoming just the second Champions League match to see three goals scored in the 90th minute or later.

The LaLiga side took the lead in the 91st minute through Mario Hermoso, who then handled in the box as Porto looked to have snatched a point when Mateus Uribe fired home the resulting penalty.

However, substitute Antoine Griezmann nodded in a stunning winner in the 11th minute of stoppage-time to send the home fans into raptures and give his side three points.

Griezmann's goal made the Champions League game only the second to feature three 90th-minute goals, after a match between the same two teams in December of last year, when Atletico ran out 3-1 winners.

The LaLiga side's late victory gets them off to a great start as they look to go further than they managed in last season's competition when they were knocked out at the quarter-final stage by Manchester City.

Porto will have to pick themselves up as they attempt to reach the knockout stages, with Club Brugge defeating Bayer Leverkusen 1-0 in the other Group B clash on matchday one.

Related items

  • De Jong in the dark on how to stop Messi as Netherlands prepare for Argentina De Jong in the dark on how to stop Messi as Netherlands prepare for Argentina

    Frenkie de Jong says he has no inside track on how to stop his former Barcelona team-mate Lionel Messi, as the Netherlands and Argentina prepare to meet in the World Cup.

    The two sides will square off in the quarter-finals at Qatar 2022, with Louis van Gaal's Oranje having beaten the United States and Lionel Scaloni's Albiceleste having felled Australia.

    With three goals so far this tournament - and in likely his last visit to the World Cup - Messi has netted three goals and ignited an otherwise hit-and-miss Argentina side.

    As the forward pursues the biggest honour to elude him across his trophy-laden career, Netherlands fans might have hoped De Jong would know how to stop his ex-colleague, but the Dutchman says that is not the case.

    "No," he told ESPN. "I know him, but I don't know how to stop him. He's been making the difference for 15 years and there is not one way to stop him.

    "Usually he would still make the difference during training too. We just have to stop him as a team.

    Asked if he had spoken to Messi since their clash was confirmed, De Jong added: "We haven't texted each other. I am not planning to. We will see each other on Friday."

    Having joined Barcelona in 2019, De Jong was a member of the Barca team that claimed the 2020-21 Copa del Rey alongside Messi, with both scoring in the final.

    The latter was on hand when Argentina beat the Netherlands in the 2014 World Cup semi-finals, before they were downed by Germany in the final, and De Jong is determined to ensure there is no repeat.

    "Argentina is of course a top team," he added. "But so are we. It will be a very good match, but I am confident. I think they look at us the same way. It's a 50-50 encounter."

  • 'He didn't hit a ball' – Van Gaal wants Netherlands to replicate 2014 efforts against Messi 'He didn't hit a ball' – Van Gaal wants Netherlands to replicate 2014 efforts against Messi

    Louis van Gaal has called on the Netherlands to replicate their 2014 World Cup semi-final performance to contain Lionel Messi in Friday's quarter-final clash with Argentina.

    Van Gaal's side reached the last eight with a 3-1 win over the United States on Saturday, while Argentina joined them by beating Australia 2-1 as Messi scored his first World Cup knockout goal.

    Friday's match will represent the sixth World Cup meeting between the two teams. Only two fixtures have been played more often at the tournament – Brazil versus Sweden and Argentina versus Germany (both seven).

    Argentina triumphed on penalties after the last such fixture finished goalless in 2014's semi-finals, when Van Gaal was in the second of his three spells with the Oranje, and he says they must replicate their defensive work from that game to keep Messi quiet. 

    "Of course, Messi is the most important player for them, the most creative. Those are always the most important players," he told De Telegraaf.

    "Eight years ago at the World Cup in Brazil, we succeeded well in neutralising Messi. He didn't hit a ball then. 

    "We thought we were the better team, but we eventually lost on penalties. I can't back it up with facts any more, but that's my memory. 

    "I substituted to win the game in regular time. Unfortunately, that did not work out. In retrospect, it may have been a stupid decision."

    Excluding shoot-outs, Van Gaal is unbeaten in his 11 World Cup matches as a coach (W8 D3). If the Netherlands avoid defeat against Argentina, he will equal ex-Brazil boss Luiz Felipe Scolari's record of 12 games without defeat from the start of a World Cup managerial career.

    Despite criticism of the Netherlands' style, Van Gaal believes they have grown into the tournament after several players overcame fitness issues.

    "I believe in the team over the individual player," he added. "It is not the case that we have already achieved top form as a team. We can be much better, that's what I've always said. 

    "There is an upward trend. You should also not forget how we arrived with these 26 players. There were players who were not match fit. We had to build them up and so on.

    "Much of that is now behind us. Memphis [Depay] can now play 90 minutes, for example. More were sick, weak, or nauseous. That is getting better. 

    "With our tactical plan we can surprise the opponent. That has been proven several times. These guys haven't lost under my leadership."

    No team has appeared in more World Cup finals without winning than the Netherlands (three), and while Van Gaal believes they have the ability to lift the trophy, he acknowledges they are not favourites.

    "I said that we can become world champions with this squad," Van Gaal said. "I didn't say we're going to be world champions, but we can be.

    "If we don't become world champions in the end, because there can only be one, I don't think you can say we failed."

  • Lazio hopeful of Milinkovic-Savic renewal as president defends Juventus amid Agnelli fallout Lazio hopeful of Milinkovic-Savic renewal as president defends Juventus amid Agnelli fallout

    Lazio are hopeful they can convince Sergej Milinkovic-Savic to renew with the Serie A outfit, says president Claudio Lotito.

    The Biancocelesti chief also weighed in on the fallout of Andrea Agnelli's resignation at Juventus, stating the club are "not evil".

    Milinkovic-Savic, who joined Lazio from Genk in 2015, has been one of their most crucial performers over the years, and was named as their player of the season for both of the last two campaigns

    Speaking at the Colalucci Awards, Lotito reinforced a hope to keep the Serbia international - currently under contract through 2024 - within Rome, highlighting him as a cornerstone of their squad under Maurizio Sarri.

    "From a technical point of view, Lazio have an interest in renewing him because he is a great player, a player on whom the club is betting," he stated.

    Lotito meanwhile spoke on the subject of Juventus and Agnelli, with the former Bianconceri president's resignation - alongside that of his entire board - amid investigations into financial matters the top story in Italian football.

    Rather than criticise them however, the 65-year-old suggested the club had been made a scapegoat of matters off the field.

    "Today everyone speaks badly of Juve, but they have contributed to the livelihood of Italian football," he added.

    "To say that Juve are the evil of Italian football is unfair. Today everyone goes out of their way to create dissent against Juventus."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.