Juventus coach Allegri laments 'wasted chance' after narrow defeat in Paris

By Sports Desk September 06, 2022

Massimiliano Allegri was left frustrated by a "wasted chance" after his Juventus team lost 2-1 to Paris Saint-Germain.

Juve's Champions League campaign looked set to get off to a humbling start at the Parc des Princes when Kylian Mbappe's double put PSG 2-0 up inside 22 minutes.

Yet some sloppy finishing and poor defending from their hosts allowed Juve back into it in the second half, with Weston McKennie heading home to reduce the deficit.

Gianluigi Donnarumma pulled off a fine stop to deny Dusan Vlahovic and Manuel Locatelli had a late effort blocked close to the line, and while Juve were fortunate not to concede more at the other end, they ultimately gave a strong account of themselves despite losing to PSG for the first time in a competitive fixture.

Allegri previously declared Benfica – who beat Maccabi Haifa 2-0 on Tuesday – as Juve's main rivals in Group H, but the Bianconeri's coach was in the end disappointed not to get a result against PSG.

"We played a good game, it's a wasted chance, we had to be more clear-headed in the final minutes," Allegri told Canale 5, as reported by Football Italia.

"We had to create more chances on the left, we didn't do it enough. We could have been dangerous in those situations with McKennie wide on the right. We must improve, it's a wasted chance."

Juve lost their opening match to a Champions League campaign for just the second time in their 23 seasons in the competition (W13 D8), also losing to Barcelona in September 2017 (3-0), but after going down fighting – registering just two shots fewer than PSG (13 to 15) and a similar expected goals value (1.1 to 1.5) – midfielder Adrien Rabiot shared his coach's frustration.

"We started badly, in the first 20 minutes we suffered," he said, via Football Italia. "We could have done even more, being more clinical. I am a bit angry, especially because of the first half. We conceded two early goals, too early, and the game changed.

"We proved that we could do better in the second half, we had chances, but we must continue to work and think of Benfica at home [in the next game].

"We have to work, find the right system and the right players on the pitch, but I think that tonight we did better than in league games.

"Unfortunately, when we lose there is always criticism for the players and the coach. We reacted well in the second half and I am glad of it, we showed good things but we must work, it's a long season and we know it."

Related items

  • Juventus to be investigated over alleged financial violations Juventus to be investigated over alleged financial violations

    Juventus will be investigated by the Club Financial Control Body (CFCB), UEFA has confirmed.

    Earlier this week, Andrea Agnelli, vice-president Pavel Nedved and managing director Maurizio Arrivabene all quit their roles at the top of the club.

    It comes amid an investigation into alleged tax fraud, which Juve have denied, and on the back of the club registering a record loss of €254.3million for 2021-22. 

    On Thursday, UEFA announced the CFCB had opened an investigation.

    "The CFCB First Chamber has today opened a formal investigation into Juventus FC for potential breaches of the Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play regulations," a statement from UEFA read.

    "The investigation will focus on the alleged financial violations that were recently made public as a result of the proceedings led by the Italian Companies and Exchange Commission (CONSOB) and the public prosecutor in Turin.

    "On 23 August 2022, the CFCB First Chamber concluded a settlement agreement with Juventus FC. This settlement agreement was concluded on the basis of the financial information previously submitted by the club pertaining to the financial years closing in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022."

    The statement added that if the CFCB's investigation finds Juve's financial situation was "significantly different" from what was assessed at the time the settlement was agreed, then the CFCB has reserved the right to terminate the agreement and take "any legal step it may deem appropriate, and impose disciplinary measures".

  • 'He kept us in the Premier League' - Bolt sad to see Ronaldo leave Man Utd 'He kept us in the Premier League' - Bolt sad to see Ronaldo leave Man Utd

    Usain Bolt says he is disappointed to see Cristiano Ronaldo exit Manchester United, crediting the forward for keeping the club in the Premier League last season.

    The Portugal captain departed Old Trafford by mutual consent last month following an explosive interview that saw him roundly criticise the club, manager Erik ten Hag and owners, the Glazer family.

    It came after a difficult first season back following his return to the club from Juventus, in which the veteran striker looked ill at ease under interim boss Ralf Rangnick.

    Now Bolt, an eight-time Olympic gold medal winner and United supporter, says he is disheartened by the star's exit, but stresses he understands his reasons.

    "It's sad to see him go," said Bolt of Ronaldo. "He played such an important role for us last season. He kept us in the Premier League last season. Because many games he was the one he scored, kept giving us points.

    "So it is sad to see him go, but I understand by listening to his interview there is a lot going on that a lot of us don't know.

    "I wish him all the best on his journey because I am a massive Cristiano Ronaldo fan. So it is sad to see him gone."

    The exit of Ronaldo has prefaced a potential sale by the Glazer family, who have long been the target of ire from the club's fanbase, and Bolt adds that it has been something supporters have been keen to see for a while.

    "For me, it has been [a] long time [coming] for the fans," he added. "[They] have spoken about this for years. Since Alex Ferguson [left], the club has been up and down,

    "It surprised me as a supporter to know that the club hasn't really moved on technology-wise to try to improve and to help the players to move forward.

    "So, to get new owners, hopefully they'll come in and develop the club in a way that is necessary."

  • 'You only get one career' – Rice says England experience has whetted Champions League appetite 'You only get one career' – Rice says England experience has whetted Champions League appetite

    Declan Rice says performing on the biggest stage for England has only increased his desire to feature in the Champions League in the future, declaring: "you only get one career".

    Rice has started all three of England's games at the World Cup in Qatar, helping the Three Lions top their group at the tournament for the first time since the 2006 edition in Germany. 

    The West Ham midfielder has been linked with the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea in recent years, and his solid international displays will have done little to reduce interest in his services. 

    Asked whether his desire to reach the top of the club game had increased as a result of his time with Gareth Southgate's side, Rice said: "Yeah, 100 per cent. 

    "For the last two or three years I have been saying that. I have been playing consistently well for [my] club and I feel like I really want to keep pushing.

    "I see my friends here who are playing in the Champions League and for big trophies. 

    "You only get one career, and at the end of your career you want to look back at what you have won and the biggest games you have played in. I am really ambitious."

    Rice has made seven interceptions at the World Cup so far – at least five more than any of his England team-mates, while only Jude Bellingham (18) and Luke Shaw (17) have recovered possession more often than he has for the Three Lions (14).

    England take on Senegal for a place in the quarter-finals on Sunday, having progressed through five of their previous seven last-16 ties at the World Cup (failing to do so against Argentina in 1998 and Germany in 2010).

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.