Dortmund striker Haller positive on recovery progress amid tumour treatment

By Sports Desk August 30, 2022

Sebastien Haller has given a positive update on his tumour treatment, but the Borussia Dortmund striker says it will be "a few months" before he can consider a playing return.

His diagnosis followed a July move to the Bundesliga heavyweights, after a superb 2021-22 season with Ajax saw Haller finish as the Eredivisie's top scorer.

Hopes of a flying start in Germany were checked after a testicular tumour was found, with the 28-year-old forced to step back from the field to undergo chemotherapy. Dortmund have since signed Anthony Modeste as back-up.

Former West Ham player Haller has said he is in good spirits and does not feel his body has been significantly affected since starting his course of treatment.

"I walk every day and check my body," Haller told ESPN. "I haven't lost that much after two weeks. I'm even at the same level as a few months ago. That's a good sign and I hope it stays that way. I feel very well."

The Ivory Coast international was reluctant to put a time-frame on his return to competitive football, saying: "Let's just say now is not the best time to take that step, because it will take me a few months.

"The important thing is that I don't lose too much muscle mass. I have to stay fit, and a month before I return on the field I will do some work with the ball again. Now the most important thing is that my body feels good.

"My first goal is to be back on the field, to play for [Dortmund] and score my first goal. That will be a beautiful and emotional moment."

Dortmund have enjoyed a solid start to the new campaign in Haller's absence, with three wins from four Bundesliga games, as they aim to mount another title challenge against holders Bayern Munich.

Related items

  • Leicester City sign Tete on short-term deal Leicester City sign Tete on short-term deal

    Leicester City have completed a short-term deal for Brazilian winger Tete.

    The 22-year-old left Shakhtar Donetsk following the Russian invasion of Ukraine last year, joining Lyon in March after players in the country were given permission by FIFA to suspend their contracts.

    After eight goals and nine assists in 30 appearances for the French side, Tete has made the move to the Premier League, although his new club confirmed he is due to return to Shakhtar at the end of the season.

    Upon signing for the Foxes, Tete told the club's media: "I'm really happy to be here. I've had a look at the pitch and the stadium, it's beautiful and I can already imagine what it'll be like with a lot of fans. I hope to score a lot of goals and assists. I hope they'll all be happy to see me play, I'm happy to be a Fox."

    Tete began his career at Gremio and has represented Brazil at under-20 and under-23 level.

    He could make his debut for Brendan Rodgers' side in their trip to Aston Villa on February 4.

  • Chelsea continue spending spree with Gusto signing Chelsea continue spending spree with Gusto signing

    Chelsea have continued their January spending spree with the signing of right-back Malo Gusto from Lyon.

    The France Under-21 international has signed a seven-and-a-half-year deal at Stamford Bridge, but he will spend the remainder of the 2022-23 season on loan at Lyon.

    Gusto, who has made 54 appearances for Lyon since making his debut in January 2021, is reported to have cost Chelsea an initial £26.3million (€29.9m) plus various add-ons.

    He becomes Chelsea's seventh signing of the window following the arrivals of Mykhaylo Mudryk, Benoit Badiashile, Noni Madueke, Andrey Santos, David Datro Fofana and Joao Felix, the latter joining on loan from Atletico Madrid.

    The 19-year-old attacking full-back will provide long-term competition and cover for Reece James, who has missed the majority of this season through injury. 

    Chelsea are also rumoured to still be in the market for a central midfielder, having so far been frustrated in their attempt to sign Argentina World Cup star Enzo Fernandez from Benfica.

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham explore move for Bayer Leverkusen centre-back Piero Hincapie Rumour Has It: Tottenham explore move for Bayer Leverkusen centre-back Piero Hincapie

    Tottenham are reportedly investigating a potential move for young Bayer Leverkusen centre-back Piero Hincapie, despite the hefty asking price for the Ecuador international.

    Hincapie, 21, is in his second Bundesliga season after arriving from Argentinian side Talleres, and has forced his way into Leverkusen's starting XI, earning 13 starts among his 15 total league appearances this campaign.

    He also has 24 senior international caps for Ecuador under his belt, playing every minute of his country's three group stage fixtures at the Qatar World Cup.

    Hincapie's emergence has not gone unnoticed, and Leverkusen are said to be informing interested clubs that any sale of their talented youngster will come at a heavy price.

     

    TOP STORY – SPURS KICK THE TYRES ON PRIZED LEVERKUSEN DEFENDER

    According to the Sun, Spurs boss Antonio Conte is desperate to add a new central defender before the end of the month, but the club were knocked back by a massive £80million price tag.

    The report indicates Hincapie would be in favour of a move to the Premier League, and to Tottenham specifically, but that it would be far more likely to occur at the end of the season.

    Interestingly, the Sun believes Leverkusen would be open to accepting as little as £20m if it meant Hincapie could spend the rest of the season on loan with the German side, but with his contract tying him to Leverkusen until 2026, it is hard to believe they would budge so significantly from their lofty valuation.

    It also mentions Tottenham's pursuit of Sporting right-back Pedro Porro is on the verge of falling through, but Portuguese publication Record is reporting that a verbal agreement is in place for a £42m (€48m) deal.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – GiveMeSport are reporting Chelsea will make a run at 23-year-old Juventus striker Dusan Vlahovic at the end of the season, while Calciomercato adds Juventus are anticipating the Serbian's departure and will seek to replace him with 25-year-old Atalanta forward Ademola Lookman.

    – According to Sport, Barcelona are focusing on 25-year-old Wolves midfielder Ruben Neves as their long-term replacement for Sergio Busquets after failing to land Real Sociedad talent Martin Zubimendi.

    Manchester United believe they are priced out of the Harry Kane sweepstakes, per the Daily Star.

    – Mail on Sunday are reporting Arsenal have returned with a second offer for 21-year-old Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Moises Caicedo, but their £70m bid is still below the £80m demand.

    – The Telegraph adds that the outcome of Arsenal's push for Caicedo will not affect their desire to sign West Ham midfielder Declan Rice after the season, and they will try to secure both.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.