CAS upholds FIFA and UEFA bans on Russian teams

By Sports Desk July 15, 2022

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has upheld FIFA and UEFA's decision to ban Russian national teams from their competitions.

Both governing bodies imposed the suspensions following Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February.

The Football Union of Russia (FUR) lodged an appeal with CAS, with the men's national team having been preventing from trying to qualify for the World Cup in Qatar and the women unable to feature in the European Championship - which started this month.

Zenit, Sochi, CSKA Moscow and Dynamo Moscow also challenged UEFA's decision to leave them unable to play in European competitions.

CAS on Friday revealed all six challenges were dismissed by a panel of arbitrators.

A CAS statement said: "In all of these cases, the panel determined that the escalation of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine, and the public and government responses worldwide, created unforeseen and unprecedented circumstances to which FIFA and UEFA had to respond.

"In determining that Russian teams and clubs should not participate in competitions under their aegis while such circumstances persisted, the panel held that both parties acted within the scope of the discretion granted to them under their respective statutes and regulations.

"In so holding, the Panel found it unnecessary to characterise the nature of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine, but only to focus on the consequences of such conflict for the competitions affected.

"The panel finds it unfortunate that the current military operations in Ukraine, for which Russian football teams, clubs, and players have themselves no responsibility, had, by reason of the decisions of FIFA and UEFA, such an adverse effect on them and Russian football generally, but those effects were, in the panel’s view, offset by the need for the secure and orderly conduct of football events for the rest of the world."

Related items

  • Maguire 'under more scrutiny' at Manchester United as defender thrives on World Cup stage Maguire 'under more scrutiny' at Manchester United as defender thrives on World Cup stage

    Harry Maguire feels he is "under a lot more scrutiny" with Manchester United than England, as the centre-back continues to impress at the World Cup.

    The Red Devils skipper has been a standout performer for Gareth Southgate's side at Qatar 2022, starting all four of their games to date and helping them to three clean sheets.

    It makes a marked contrast for the defender, who has struggled at club level over the past season-and-a-half, and has been deposed as a first-choice pick under new boss Erik ten Hag amid an injury layoff.

    Maguire himself has few complaints, acknowledging United were well under-par last term, and said he feels he is under the microscope more at Old Trafford than with the Three Lions.

    "At Manchester United, I'm under a lot more scrutiny," he added. "Everything I do gets analysed. Every pass I make gets analysed. Every goal we concede is a defender's fault.

    "If you're playing week in, week out as I did for three years, the last year hasn't been good enough. Everyone in the team didn't play well enough, and we came under a lot of scrutiny as players."

    Under Ten Hag however, United have overcome a shaky start - and the saga of Cristiano Ronaldo - to head into the World Cup break looking close to their best for two years.

    Maguire is delighted to see the turnaround, even if he is down the pecking order, and is relishing the chance to battle to get back into the Dutchman's thinking.

    "No one came out of the season with plaudits, so it was a general team issue last season, but this one has been much better," he added.

    "This is the first year I've really sat on a bench in a few games. I obviously got an injury as well, a thigh injury that kept me out for four weeks, but I'll fight to get my place back."

    Maguire will be expected to line up when England face off with defending champions France in the World Cup quarter-finals on Saturday.

  • Argentina's Martinez taking pain-killing injections to play at World Cup, reveals agent Argentina's Martinez taking pain-killing injections to play at World Cup, reveals agent

    Lautaro Martinez has been given pain-killing injections to allow him to play at the World Cup for Argentina, according to his agent.

    The Inter striker is yet to score at the tournament in Qatar, despite making four appearances, as La Albiceleste have reached the final eight.

    Martinez started the shock opening defeat to Saudi Arabia and saw two goals disallowed for offside, while also making the starting XI for the 2-0 win over Mexico.

    However, he was selected on the bench against Poland in the final group game, while he also came on with less than 20 minutes to play in the round-of-16 victory over Australia.

    In the build-up to Argentina's quarter-final meeting with the Netherlands on Friday, Martinez's agent revealed the forward is receiving treatment for an ankle injury.

    "Lautaro has been taking injections because he has a lot of pain in his ankle," Alejandro Camacho told La Red.

    "He's working hard to make that pain go away, and as soon as that happens, he'll be flying on the pitch. Martinez is a top player in the world.

    "He is very strong in the mind, but the goals that were disallowed against Saudi Arabia were hard moments for him."

    Manchester City's Julian Alvarez has been the man that Argentina head coach Lionel Scaloni has selected to start in Martinez's place.

    Camacho believes Alvarez and Martinez are helping each other's performances, adding: "The competition makes him [Martinez] and Julian stronger, because contrary to what you might think, they are good for each other."

  • Former Man Utd target Rabiot reiterates Premier League desire Former Man Utd target Rabiot reiterates Premier League desire

    Adrien Rabiot would like to play in the Premier League one day, the Juventus midfielder has reiterated.

    Rabiot was strongly linked with a move to Manchester United earlier this year, but reports suggested that even though a fee of an initial £15million (€17.4m) had been agreed, terms could not be reached with the player and the Red Devils instead opted to sign Casemiro from Real Madrid.

    The 27-year-old is currently with France at the World Cup and ahead of their quarter-final with England on Saturday, Rabiot said he would like to play his club football in the Premier League at some point.

    Referencing the short period he spent at Manchester City's academy in 2008, he told reporters: "It was a very good experience. I didn't do a whole season, though.

    "Everything went well while I was there. I really liked the atmosphere. It's really something that is only in England. It's different from France and Italy.

    "I have always said that I'd like to play in England in my career. I still have that desire. I'd like to evolve in the Premier League."

    Rabiot moved from Paris Saint-Germain to Juventus in 2019 and has made 145 appearances for the Bianconeri, with 11 goals and eight assists, though he has particularly excelled this season, scoring five goals in 16 games, with two assists.

    Although he is in the final year of his deal with the Serie A club, Rabiot seemed to suggest he has not made a decision on his future, but was clear he is open to a move to England one day.

    "I haven't got a Premier League team in mind right now," he added. "I haven't chosen a team or anything. It's a general thing.

    "It's the league, it's the level of play that's going on, that's what attracts me most. It corresponds to my qualities."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.