French minister Darmanin apologises to Liverpool fans after Champions League final chaos

By Sports Desk June 28, 2022

Liverpool fans have received an apology from France's interior minister Gerald Darmanin, after he initially blamed Reds supporters for chaos at the Champions League final.

The European showpiece in Paris was twice delayed for what UEFA initially described as "security reasons" outside the Stade de France due to crowd congestion.

Real Madrid went on to lift the trophy by defeating Liverpool 1-0 after the match started 36 minutes late at 21:36 local time, but it was events outside the ground that dominated the headlines.

Initially, France's government insisted that between 30,000 and 40,000 fans had arrived without valid tickets.

However, Paris police chief Didier Lallement, along with some of Emmanuel Macron's political opponents, questioned those figures.

Earlier this month, Lallement apologised to Liverpool fans for the use of tear gas and the heavy-handed policing they were subjected to.

UEFA also issued a formal apology and on Tuesday, a month on from the match, Darmanin admitted at least part of the responsibility lies with the French authorities.

"Should things have been managed better at the Stade de France? The answer is yes," Darmanin told RTL radio.

"Am I partly responsible? The answer is yes. Of course, I readily apologise to everyone who suffered from this bad management of the event."

Related items

  • 'We would like to extend his stay here' – Leicester boss Rodgers hopeful over Vardy deal 'We would like to extend his stay here' – Leicester boss Rodgers hopeful over Vardy deal

    Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed on Thursday that the club is working on a contract extension for 35-year-old Foxes icon Jamie Vardy.

    Vardy arrived at Leicester back in 2012 and has since racked up 164 goals in 386 appearances for the club. Only Arthur Chandler (273 goals), who played from 1923-35, and Arthur Rowley (251 goals from 1950-58) have scored more for Leicester.

    The former England striker has now registered seven consecutive Premier League seasons with at least 13 goals.

    Vardy is in the final year of his contract, but Foxes boss Rodgers is optimistic he will sign another deal.

    "[Vardy's] appetite is still there," he said. "We would like to extend his stay here and that's something the club and his representatives will look at.

    "Jamie thrives on balls into space behind the defence, and if there is no space, he thrives on low crosses into the box. It is as simple as that. If we can do that more, there will be opportunities for him and other players."

    Vardy, who missed nearly four months last season with hamstring and knee injuries, will turn 36 in January.

  • Kostic expresses gratitude to Eintracht ahead of Juventus move Kostic expresses gratitude to Eintracht ahead of Juventus move

    Filip Kostic has expressed his gratitude to Eintracht Frankfurt ahead of his move to Juventus.

    The Serbia winger is on the verge of completing his switch to Juve, ending a four-year spell with Eintracht.

    Kostic helped the Bundesliga club win the Europa League last season and has played more games (167) and started more matches (161) than any other player for the club since his arrival from Hamburg.

    The 29-year-old says Eintracht will always have a special place in his heart.

    "THANK YOU Eintracht Frankfurt for believing in me when no one else did!" he posted on Instagram.

    "I would like to say a heartfelt thank you to the club, all the wonderful people who work at the club, the team-mates, the coaches, the management, the fans and the whole city for making my stay at the club and in the city unforgettable.

    "Eintracht fans, thank you for supporting us every game. We bled together for the colours of the club, you in the stands and us on the field.

    "Together we managed to write club history by winning the Europa League. Thank you for all the love and support you have given me.

    "We wouldn't have made it without you. I will carry you in my heart forever."

     

  • Arsenal defender Mari heads to Serie A new boys Monza on loan Arsenal defender Mari heads to Serie A new boys Monza on loan

    Arsenal defender Pablo Mari has joined newly promoted Serie A club Monza on loan for the duration of the 2022-23 season.

    The 28-year-old Spaniard, who joined Arsenal – initially on loan – in January 2020, made just two Premier League appearances as Mikel Arteta preferred Ben White and Gabriel Magalhaes at the heart of his backline last season.

    Mari spent the second half of last campaign on loan at Udinese, for whom he played 15 times, and has now returned to Italy with the Silvio Berlusconi-owned club.

    Since winning promotion via the Serie B play-offs last season, Monza have made a remarkable 19 signings, including Italy internationals Matteo Pessina, Stefano Sensi and Andrea Ranocchia.

    Monza will host the first Serie A game in their history when they face Torino on Saturday. 

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.