Wayne Rooney resigns as Derby manager after Kirchner takeover collapses

By Sports Desk June 24, 2022

Wayne Rooney has resigned as Derby County manager after a "rollercoaster" reign, the former Manchester United and England star said on Friday.

Rooney took his first role in management when he was appointed at Derby in November 2020, and faced a difficult challenge as the club were blighted by off-field issues.

Derby were relegated from the Championship at the end of last season after having 21 points deducted, 12 for entering administration and nine for historical financial breaches under former owner Mel Morris.

The Rams will be playing in the third tier for the first time since the 1985-86 season, yet Derby had hoped to keep Rooney.

American businessman Chris Kirchner expressed an interest in acquiring the club and was named preferred bidder by administrators in April, but he pulled out earlier in June.

Rooney, who was linked to Everton before Frank Lampard was named manager, says he has kept a close eye on Derby's ownership developments but has decided to resign.

"Over the course of the summer I have been closely following developments regarding the ownership of Derby County," Rooney said, in a statement released on the club's website.

"Today I met with the administrators to inform them of my decision that it was time for me to leave the club. In fairness to them, they tried tremendously hard to change my decision, but my mind was made up.

"My time at the club has been a rollercoaster of emotions, both highs and lows, but I have to say that I have enjoyed the challenge. Personally, I feel the club now needs to be led by someone with fresh energy and not affected by the events that have happened over the last 18 months.

"I will remember my time at Derby with great pride and affection and would like to thank all my staff, players and of course the fans for their incredible support. I will never forget you and hope to see you all again in the near future and in happier times.

"Finally, I am aware that the club still have interested parties who wish to take over the running of the club. To them I say this, Derby County is a great club with a great history and great fans. I wish you all the best and much success for the future."

Related items

  • Reggae Girlz booked to face South Korea in September friendly Reggae Girlz booked to face South Korea in September friendly

    Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz have been booked to tackle top Asian team South Korea, in a friendly international at the Hwaseong Sports Complex, in South Korea, on September 3rd.

    The match, which will be a first-ever meeting between the two teams, will also be the first for the Jamaica national team since successfully qualifying for the FIFA Women’s World Cup last month.  The team was doing so for the second straight tournament.

    South Korea, who are the number 18th ranked team in the world, will pose a stern test for the Jamaicans who recently achieved a high of 42.  The South Koreans have also put together strong performances in 2022 after finishing second at the AFC Women's Asian Cup.

    With the match occurring on a FIFA International match date, both teams are expected to have their full complement of players available for selection.

  • Former Man Utd director Knighton in talks with 'three billionaires' ahead of potential takeover bid Former Man Utd director Knighton in talks with 'three billionaires' ahead of potential takeover bid

    Former Manchester United director Michael Knighton says he is in talks with several billionaires ahead of launching a potential takeover bid at Old Trafford.

    The 70-year-old revealed he has put together a consortium interested in buying the club, although he would operate in a consultancy role should a successful deal by struck.

    The club's current owners – the Glazer family – have come under increased scrutiny following the Red Devils' poor start to the Premier League season.

    Supporters have staged several protests against the Americans, who Knighton believes have turned Old Trafford from a "theatre of a dreams to a theatre of nightmares"

    And the former director, who had a bid to buy the club accepted in 1989 – although it never came to fruition – explained that he has had conversation with three potential partners to put forward a deal.

    "They are small-time billionaires that I have been speaking to for three to four months now," Knighton told ITV News.

    "When I was approached by some fan groups, oddly enough, saying 'look, our club is dying on its feet, would you please do something?'

    "I made a few phone calls, and I've been pulling this consortium together ever since.

    "The point is: someone had to make a stand."

    Knighton also revealed he has approached British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who recently tried to purchase fellow Premier League side Chelsea, to buy the club.

    He said: "If we can smoke the great Sir Jim out to buy Manchester United, my consortium will be punching the air because we've achieved what we want to do.

    "We will make the bid with our own consortium but, I'll tell you this, we do not have the resources available to do everything that is needed."

  • 'Media only speaks lies' – Cristiano Ronaldo teases revealing interview in coming weeks 'Media only speaks lies' – Cristiano Ronaldo teases revealing interview in coming weeks

    Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to indicate he has a revealing interview planned in the coming weeks that will confirm the "truth" about speculation around his future.

    Ronaldo, 37, for the first time in his career has seemingly found a lack of interest for his services as he reportedly tries to push his way out of Old Trafford.

    Some of the biggest clubs in the world – including Juventus, Chelsea and Atletico Madrid – have all supposedly turned down the opportunity to sign one of the greatest players the game has ever seen, but the Portuguese star believes most media reports focused on his future have been inaccurate.

    In response to a post by a Ronaldo fan page on Instagram, which was criticising the aforementioned speculation, the five-time Ballon d'Or winner added fuel to the fire as he teased a tell-all interview.

    His comment read: "They know the truth when [sic] interview in a few weeks. Media only speaks lies. I have a notebook and in the last few months of the 100 news that made only five [accurate] hits, imagine how things are."

    Ronaldo made his first start of the season in United's embarrassing 4-0 loss to Brentford.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.