EPL

Juventus will not hold De Ligt against his will – Ferrara

By Sports Desk June 23, 2022

Matthijs de Ligt should be allowed to leave Juventus if the right offer is made, according to club legend Ciro Ferrara.

The Netherlands international is under contract at the Allianz Stadium until June 2024, but is yet to agree an extension with the Bianconeri.

Chelsea have been linked with a move for the 22-year-old, who has a release clause of €125million.

De Ligt has been a regular in the heart of the Juve defence since arriving from Ajax for €85.5million in 2019.

The centre-half has racked up 117 appearances across all competitions, scoring eight goals, and winning the Serie A title during his maiden season with the Old Lady.

Ferrara, who won five Scudettos and the Champions League with Juve between 1994 and 2005, acknowledged De Ligt's importance, but insists the club should not stand in his way.

The former defender told Tutti Convocati: "We have to understand if De Ligt has the right motivation.

"He is an important figure in the defence. But if he wants to leave, then Juve will not hold him against his will."

Related items

  • Joe Gomez extends Liverpool contract Joe Gomez extends Liverpool contract

    Versatile Liverpool defender Joe Gomez has signed a new long-term contract at Anfield.

    The England international has been limited by injuries in recent seasons, and his contract was due to expire in 2024.

    But Gomez has committed his future to Liverpool, reportedly until 2027, and hopes "the best years are ahead of me".

    "It is an unbelievable place to be; in my eyes, probably one of the best – if not the best – clubs in the world at the minute," the 25-year-old said.

    "The opportunity to extend my stay here was an easy decision to make, really.

    "Obviously, I have been here quite a while now, but in the grand scheme of things, I still feel young, and the best years are ahead of me. I have got more to learn and the time to do that.

    "I think I have the platform here to do it, with the manager and the coaching staff around me and my team-mates, to make sure the best years are ahead."

  • Milan make Messias loan permanent Milan make Messias loan permanent

    Milan have confirmed Brazilian forward Junior Messias has joined the club on a permanent basis after impressing during a loan spell with the Rossoneri last season.

    Messias moved to Milan on a loan deal with a purchase option in August 2021, going on to score six goals in 32 appearances across all competitions as Stefano Pioli's men ended an 11-year wait for the Serie A title. 

    The 31-year-old, who featured in the Italian top flight for Crotone in 2020-21 before they suffered consecutive relegations, only made 17 starts for Milan last term but still contributed to their title success.

    Only four Rossoneri players (Oliver Giroud and Rafael Leao with 14, Zlatan Ibrahimovic with eight and Franck Kessie with seven) outscored Messias as Milan spread the goals around.

    In a video posted to the club's Twitter account, Messias expressed his delight at extending his stay at San Siro, declaring: "Being at Milan is the greatest thing in life.

    "Having reached this point is a source of pride for me, as well as satisfaction. I'm part of a very strong team, at an important club.

    "I felt like crying because in my mind, I relived everything I'd been through and I'm experiencing now. I feel great here, it's like I am at home."

    The Brazilian has signed a two-year deal with the Serie A champions after they reportedly agreed to pay Crotone an initial fee of €4.5million for his services.

  • Suarez rules out River move following Libertadores elimination Suarez rules out River move following Libertadores elimination

    Luis Suarez has announced he will not be joining River Plate after they were knocked out of the Copa Libertadores.

    Veteran striker Suarez, who is a free agent after leaving Atletico Madrid, had been linked with River and has now confirmed there was genuine interest.

    The former Ajax, Liverpool and Barcelona man was open to the move, too, motivated by the opportunity to fight for a Libertadores title.

    But River were eliminated from South America's elite club competition on Wednesday following a goalless draw at home to Velez Sarsfield in the last 16, losing 1-0 on aggregate.

    Suarez will not therefore be heading to the Buenos Aires giants, who are losing Julian Alvarez to Manchester City, he told Ovacion.

    "I was very excited about the possibility of going to River to fight for the Copa Libertadores," he said.

    "It was a dream that I had to win a cup in South America. As River was knocked out, that possibility falls away."

    Suarez has spent 16 years in Europe, signing for Groningen in 2006 after leaving Nacional in his native Uruguay.

    And the 35-year-old said he was disappointed not to have heard from his former club, explaining: "If I came to think and get excited about the possibility of River, the same would happen with that of Nacional, which was my home.

    "I am surprised that the leaders of Nacional did not even call me to find out my situation."

    Instead, it seems, Suarez will stay in Europe. Ovacion reported he was weighing up three offers having been tempted by River.

    "A month and a half ago, I declared that I was not going to leave Europe," he said. "But River insisted and insisted so much that I came to consider it, and there was a possibility.

    "As much as one says something, when the time comes, you will consider it. You are excited that they love you so much.

    "The player needs love. River was giving it to me, and Nacional could have tried that."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.