EPL

Vieri urges Lukaku to prove worth and rediscover Inter form

By Sports Desk June 22, 2022

Romelu Lukaku must rediscover the form that fired Inter to the Scudetto in 2021 should he return to the Nerazzurri, former Italy striker Christian Vieri has said.

Lukaku scored 24 goals under the stewardship of Antonio Conte as Inter lifted the Serie A title in the 2020-21 campaign, before returning to Chelsea for a club-record £97.5million fee.

The Belgium international struggled on his Stamford Bridge return, scoring just eight times in 26 Premier League appearances.

Lukaku is widely expected to head back to Inter on loan less than a year after leaving, as Simone Inzaghi looks to assemble his side to reclaim the Scudetto from fierce rivals Milan.

The 29-year-old will hope to regain the confidence he had during his two-year spell with Inter, with no Nerazzurri player scoring more times (64), providing more assists (17) or creating as many chances (133) in all competitions in that period.

Vieri understands the pressure of a big-money move, having joined Inter in a then world-record €49m transfer in 1999 from Lazio, but insists Lukaku must find the old version of himself with the Nerazzurri.

"I wouldn't want to talk about players who haven't signed yet. We'll see how it ends, the teams are working to become stronger and stronger," Vieri said on his podcast.

"He is still a great player, he has scored many goals all over the world. Last year he did very badly with Chelsea, few games and very few goals.

"If he returns, he will have to prove that he is the Lukaku seen at Inter."

While Inzaghi will be delighted to bolster his attacking ranks, with Paulo Dybala also reportedly set to arrive from Juventus, not all at Inter are keen to welcome Lukaku back.

After Lukaku expressed his desire to return to Inter in a controversial interview in December, the Nerazzurri supporters group Curva Nord unveiled a banner, stating: "It doesn't matter who runs away in the rain, what matters is who stays in the storm. Bye Romelu".

Curva Nord issued another statement on Wednesday, assuring they have not forgotten about Lukaku's exit to Chelsea that they felt betrayed the Nerazzurri.

"He was supported and treated like a king, now he is one like another player," the group posted on Instagram. "We took note of Lukaku's betrayal and we were very upset.

"To a footballer these things can be forgiven over time, but they remain. Let us also be clear to everyone that we will never cheer against Lukaku if he wears the Inter shirt again.

"However, we invite all Inter fans not to fall into the trap of running immediately and drooling after him. 

"In addition to a clear instinctive emotional aspect, pretending that nothing has happened, would only give a further acceleration to that process that has been going on for years aimed at making us all stupid and supine consumers."

Related items

  • Origi inspired by Milan greats Van Basten, Shevchenko and Inzaghi after joining from Liverpool Origi inspired by Milan greats Van Basten, Shevchenko and Inzaghi after joining from Liverpool

    Divock Origi is drawing inspiration from the feats of Milan striking greats Marco van Basten, Andriy Shevchenko and Filippo Inzaghi after joining the Serie A champions from Liverpool. 

    Origi signed a four-year deal with the 2021-22 Scudetto winners on Tuesday, having enjoyed a trophy-laden eight-year stint at Anfield before departing on a free transfer.

    The Belgium international scored 41 goals in 176 appearances as he earned cult-hero status at Liverpool, netting seven goals in 10 games against Merseyside rivals Everton and adding a crucial second goal to seal the Reds' 2019 Champions League final win over Tottenham.

    In his first media conference in Milan, the 27-year-old hailed the Rossoneri's title-winners as he targeted making a valuable contribution next term.

    "I spoke with the club towards the end of the season, but I was just concentrating on finishing the season with Liverpool," he said.

    "Once that was done, I understood and shared the vision of the club, the people here made me realise the special journey this squad is on and the history being written, and I want to play my part in continuing it in the coming years.

    "There are many players that have played their role in Milan's history that I admire, therefore, it's quite difficult to choose. 

    "For example, I'm thinking of Van Basten, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, who have all been part of this wonderful club. I don't like to compare myself with others because we all have our own story to tell and path to take. 

    "I believe it's possible to take inspiration from any player, in any position, and even from outside the footballing world. My goal is just to continuously grow as a player."

    Origi scored in San Siro during a 2-1 Champions League win for Liverpool last December and says the sense of history surrounding Milan's famous home was a key attraction.

    "I absolutely felt the atmosphere in the game in San Siro," he added. "In this stadium, you are able to feel the sense of history and the culture of the club. 

    "This is also why it is an honour and a pleasure to be here, to have the opportunity to play in this magical stadium. 

    "When Milan got the first goal, you could hear the backing and push given by the fans, that feeling between the crowd and players is special."

    Origi won six major trophies – including Premier League and Champions League titles – at Liverpool, and emphasised his gratitude for former boss Jurgen Klopp's contribution to his career as he looked forward to the challenge of featuring in another major league.

    "I am extremely grateful and appreciative of my time at Liverpool, it's a club that has provided me with everything," Origi added.

    "Me and Klopp have shared an incredible experience together, we've won lots, and I'm very proud to have had him as my coach. With coach [Stefano] Pioli, I hope it will be the same and I can't wait to start working with him. 

    "My time at Liverpool was very emotional, especially the goodbyes, but now it's time to start a new journey, giving this club the best version of me.

    "Serie A and the Premier League are two completely different leagues. I have been fortunate to be able to play in different national championships – Germany, France, England – and also in international football. 

    "The Italian league is very tactical, maybe in England, it's more physical. I think I'm going to learn a lot tactically in Italy, but at the same time contribute in the way I can from my experiences."

  • Inter Miami sign former MLS MVP Pozuelo from Toronto FC Inter Miami sign former MLS MVP Pozuelo from Toronto FC

    Inter Miami have confirmed the signing of former Major League Soccer MVP Alejandro Pozuelo from Toronto FC.

    Pozuelo, crowned MLS' best player in 2020 in the second of a three-and-a-half-season stay with Toronto, will occupy an International Roster slot and a Designated Player slot for Inter.

    Phil Neville's side will pay $150,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) to Toronto across two years for the signing of Pozuelo, which is subject to the Spaniard receiving a P-1 Visa.

    Toronto will also retain a sell-on percentage in the event of a future transfer, while Inter will send additional conditional GAM if Pozuelo meets certain performance-based incentives.

    "We're thrilled to be able to welcome a player of Alejandro's calibre," Inter sporting director Chris Henderson said. 

    "He has proven himself to be one of the brightest talents in the league and we are confident that will continue here in South Florida.

    "We were looking to add a decisive, creative attacking player and we feel he fits the profile."

    Prior to joining Toronto, where he scored 30 goals and assisted 34 in 100 appearances across all competitions, Pozuelo played for Real Betis, Swansea City, Rayo Vallecano and Genk.

    As well as winning the MVP award two years ago, the 30-year-old was also twice named in the MLS Team of the Season.

    "We believe Alejandro will fit right in with our group," head coach Neville said. "He's a player of tremendous quality that we feel can be a real game changer for us.

    "We can't wait to integrate him into the squad and are looking forward to seeing him on the pitch in Inter Miami colours."

    Pozuelo's departure from Toronto comes amid widespread speculation that the Canadian club are closing in on a move for former Juventus midfielder Federico Bernardeschi.

  • Wimbledon: Rybakina vows to enjoy Open Era first in women's final Wimbledon: Rybakina vows to enjoy Open Era first in women's final

    Elena Rybakina is determined to enjoy herself after setting up a groundbreaking Wimbledon final against Ons Jabeur.

    Rybakina had not won a single grass-court semi-final prior to Thursday's match against Simona Halep, but she rose to the occasion in a stunning 6-3 6-3 win.

    While the Kazakh said she was "quite nervous", it did not show as she forged nine break point opportunities – including in each Halep service game of the first set – and faced just one.

    Rybakina's serve was similarly effective, with five aces and no double-faults; Halep had no aces and nine double-faults.

    "It was really, really good," the victor said. "Usually, I have ups and downs. But I think today I was mentally prepared, and I did everything I could, and it was an amazing match."

    Now, attention turns towards facing Jabeur, with both women playing their first major finals.

    It will be the first time in the Open Era the women's singles final at the All England Club will be contested between two players who have not played a championship match at a grand slam before.

    The stakes are only getting higher for Rybakina, but she is relishing the opportunity.

    "I think it's going to be a great match," she said. "I'm going to try to do my best, but I'm going to enjoy it. I've already done a lot; it's time to enjoy the final."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.