EPL

Tielemans says Leicester exit 'not out of the question' amid rumoured Arsenal interest

By Sports Desk June 08, 2022

Youri Tielemans says leaving Leicester City this transfer window "is not out of the question" amid ongoing links with a possible move to Arsenal.

The Belgium international is into the final 12 months of his Leicester contract and has also previously been touted as a target for Tottenham, Manchester United and Real Madrid.

He has impressed across his three-and-a-half-year stay at Leicester, the 25-year-old having scored 18 goals and assisted the same amount in 120 Premier League games.

That ranks Tielemans in the top 10 midfielders in the competition since his debut in February 2019 in terms of goal involvements, while he is sixth for successful passes (5,477).

The Anderlecht youth product is understandably attracting interest from elsewhere, and he has not ruled out the possibility of exiting the King Power Stadium in the coming weeks.

"That is not out of the question," Tielemans, who scored the winning goal for Leicester in the 2021 FA Cup final, said at a news conference while away on international duty.

"I feel very good at Leicester, I was welcomed with open arms from day one. I'll give everything for the club until the last day.

"But of course you have to listen to other opportunities, you have to look at your career, and sometimes you have to make choices. Maybe one will come my way."

Tielemans started 29 games for Leicester in the Premier League last season – the most of any outfield player – and reached double figures for goals and assists combined (10).

Discussing Tielemans' future in March, Brendan Rodgers accepted the midfielder will have the final say on his future.

"He's got a big choice to make at some point. We'd love him to stay, we want him to stay," Rodgers said. "He's been a massive part of my time here. 

"It's a real pleasure to work with him and see his progress as well but he has to take his time and decide and if he feels that this is the place for him to be, we'll be delighted.

"But I always respect the choice of a player, as I've said many times, as long as they're committed and give everything and behave as you'd expect, then there'll be no drama."

Related items

  • Flick warns individual errors will prove 'deadly' for Germany at the World Cup Flick warns individual errors will prove 'deadly' for Germany at the World Cup

    Hansi Flick warned his Germany side individual errors will be "deadly" at the World Cup after an entertaining back-and-forth Nations League encounter against England at Wembley.

    The visitors led by two goals after Ilkay Gundogan's penalty and Kai Havertz's expert long-range finish punished the Three Lions.

    However, three goals in the space of 12 minutes from Luke Shaw, Mason Mount and Harry Kane had already-relegated England in front with seven minutes to play.

    An error from goalkeeper Nick Pope allowed Havertz to make it 3-3 late on, but head coach Flick acknowledged Germany must be better at protecting a lead in Qatar.

    "The result is very disappointing. I think we were very stable after 2-0 and we made individual mistakes, and you have to say that England brought in two fresh players who then also played a part in making England more effective offensively," Flick said.

    "We made individual mistakes and that's why it's disappointing. 

    "You have to look at the whole game and I think we did many things well, really well. In a phase where we got the three goals, that shouldn't happen to us, because especially at a World Cup, things like that are of course deadly and you're eliminated faster than you think. 

    "Therefore, if you look at it positively, you simply have to say that we know what we can work on. 

    "We'll analyse the game properly again because, of course, at first glance, I've seen the goals conceded, just once or twice now, and that's partly individual, where we sometimes made the mistakes. And everyone has to do their job over 90 minutes and we have to work on that."

    Flick, though, was effusive in his praise of Bayern Munich star Jamal Musiala, who was a constant thorn in England's side and drew the foul from Harry Maguire for Germany's opener from the spot.

    "Jamal just showed why he is an exceptional talent. He got us the second goal from in his own half and he's both defensive and offensive, I think he's a player that's good for us," Flick added.

    "And simply by his dribbling ability, he can pull out situations like penalties, but of course also he can move opponents around, one or two players are out of position and then it's a different situation. 

    "Then we have more room, more space and those are the things that are good for us."

  • Rumour Has It: Juventus contact Chelsea about Christian Pulisic's availability Rumour Has It: Juventus contact Chelsea about Christian Pulisic's availability

    Juventus have reportedly made contact with Christian Pulisic's camp as they begin the process of putting together a January offer for the out-of-favour Chelsea winger.

    Pulisic, 24, has only started one game this season in all club competitions, and he was subbed off in the 60th minute. He also has made five appearances as a substitute, but the longest has lasted 26 minutes.

    The United States international, who was signed from Borussia Dortmund for a £58million fee in January 2019, now finds himself on the outside looking in, and long-time admirers Juventus are seeking to capitalise on the potentially depreciated asset.

     

    TOP STORY – JUVENTUS CONTACT PULISIC ABOUT SERIE A MOVE

    According to Calciomercato, Pulisic has been "very fond of the Juventus management for some time" and he plans on leaving at the end of the season when he has one year remaining on his contract and more leverage.

    While Pulisic may wish to see out the remainder of the season and give things a go with new boss Graham Potter, Chelsea are said to have set his price at a reasonable figure of £31m. If the Italian side view that as a fair price, and if Pulisic has not broken into a starting role by January, things could progress quicker than anticipated.

    However, further Calciomercato reports claiming Juventus are eyeing moves for defenders Benoit Badiashile from Monaco and Evan Ndicka from Eintracht Frankfurt at the end of the campaign could imply they do not have the necessary funds to make any serious additions mid-season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – According to iNews, Newcastle United are considering a £50m bid for Shaktar Donetsk's rising 21-year-old winger Mykhalo Mudryk

    – Marca is claiming Real Madrid's "main target" at the end of the season will be Borussia Dortmund's prized English midfielder Jude Bellingham.

    – Corriere dello Sport is reporting Chelsea plan to increase their previous offer of £44.5m for 26-year-old Inter defender Denzel Dumfries, and would be willing to loan him back to the Italian club for the remainder of the season if they can come to an agreement in January.

    – With Manchester United reportedly ready to move on from goalkeeper David de Gea, Football Insider states they are monitoring Aston Villa's Emiliano Martinez as a replacement.

    – RAC1 claims Real Madrid's Marco Asensio has already signed a preliminary contract with rivals Barcelona, with his Madrid contract set to expire at the end of this season.

  • 'I don't see a team that is miles ahead' – Gundogan confident about Germany's World Cup chances 'I don't see a team that is miles ahead' – Gundogan confident about Germany's World Cup chances

    There were mixed feelings from the German camp after Monday's dramatic 3-3 draw against England in the UEFA Nations League, with manager Hansi Flick calling it "a good test".

    Germany led 2-0 after a 52nd minute penalty from Ilkay Gundogan and a goal from Kai Havertz in the 67th, but that advantage was wiped out in just over 15 minutes.

    Luke Shaw struck in the 72nd, Mason Mount equalised three minutes later, and a penalty to Harry Kane put the English up 3-2 in the 83rd.

    Ultimately, an 87th-minute leveller from Havertz saw the two sides share the points, and it gave Flick some mixed emotions.

    "The first half was balanced, in the second we deservedly led 2-0 – then we made individual mistakes," he said. "It must not happen that we give up a lead like that. 

    "But we came back, that's the positive. It was a good test, we take a lot of positive things with us, but also negative things. There's some work for us to do, but we're optimistic, otherwise we could stay at home."

    Midfielder Joshua Kimmich provided a little more insight into exactly what went wrong to allow such a rapid collapse.

    "We had everything under control and deservedly led 2-0 – then we became far too passive," he said. "No longer pushing through consistently, defending far too deep, no longer having the courage to play against the ball… but in terms of body language and engagement, it was an improvement.

    "Everyone now has six weeks to get a good feeling and then we will attack."

    After scoring two goals, Havertz said to only get a draw from a match like that "must of course worry you" but suggested that it "was another good game to learn from".

    Meanwhile, Gundogan was not afraid to talk about Germany's lofty goals, saying they are heading to Qatar with the plan of making the final.

    "It's not unrealistic," he said. "Of course, a lot has to come together. I don't see a team that is miles ahead.

    "We have shown over long periods that we can do it at the highest level. We have to try to do that for 90 minutes. At a World Cup you have much less leeway to make mistakes than today."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.