Hazard backs Benzema for Ballon d'Or and suggests top-five finish for Courtois

By Sports Desk May 31, 2022

Eden Hazard has backed Real Madrid colleague Karim Benzema to win the Ballon d'Or, while he suggested fellow team-mate Thibaut Courtois should finish in the top five.

Benzema has enjoyed a remarkable season, inspiring Madrid to Champions League success and the Spanish title with four games to spare.

The France international scored 15 times in the Champions League, including a joint-record 10 in the knockout stages to be named as the competition's Player of the Season.

The Madrid talisman ended the season with 44 goals and 15 assists across all competitions. Only Kylian Mbappe (60) can better Benzema's 59 goal involvements among players from Europe's top five leagues.

Meanwhile, Courtois was the star of the show against Liverpool as he made nine saves, a record for a Champions League final since Opta began collecting data in 2003-04.

Courtois has led the way among goalkeepers in the competition this season, making the most saves (59) and boasting the highest save percentage of those to produce five stops or more (80.6).

That led to suggestions the Belgium international may be an unlikely contender for the Ballon d'Or, but Red Devils team-mate Hazard believes Benzema should win the coveted individual award.

"I've known [Courtois] for ten years now and he's been doing this for ten years," Hazard told reporters at a Nations League news conference on Tuesday.

"That was already the case at Chelsea and now at Real. Courtois, [Kevin] De Bruyne, [Sadio] Mane, Vinicius [Junior], they all had a good season. 

"But still I think Benzema deserves to win it. Courtois should be in the top five. But when you see how Benzema played in the quarter and semi-finals, that was really impressive."

Benzema will hope to carry his scintillating club form into the next season with Madrid, and also with France at the World Cup in Qatar.

The 34-year-old will partner with Mbappe at the tournament in November, and the Paris Saint-Germain star was almost Benzema's club team-mate before he snubbed Los Blancos earlier in the month.

Mbappe opted to stay in the French capital and sign a three-year extension with PSG, leaving Hazard to rue the impact he could have had at the Santiago Bernabeu as he aims to recover his own form for the upcoming campaign.

"The seats are already expensive at Real, but with Kylian Mbappe they would be even more expensive," Hazard added.

"Now I have to show the coach that I'm ready, that I can play. But since my surgery I do feel better. My approach will not change. All my success is also due to how I approached it."

Related items

  • 'Not a World Cup for fans' – Germany coach Flick critical of Qatar 2022 'Not a World Cup for fans' – Germany coach Flick critical of Qatar 2022

    The Qatar World Cup is not a tournament "for fans", says Germany coach Hansi Flick, who believes "football should be there for everyone".

    The latest staging of the flagship tournament has been the source of much controversy since it was awarded to Qatar in 2010.

    The nation's stance towards women and the LGBTQ+ community was widely pointed to as a problem from the outset, while the deaths of thousands of migrant workers have been reported during preparation for the finals.

    Given Qatar's limited accommodation facilities and the move to the middle of the European club season, the competition has presented issues for both fans and players, even beyond those moral debates.

    And Flick had supporters in mind as he added his voice to those criticising the 2022 World Cup.

    "Basically, I think it is a shame that this tournament will not be a World Cup for fans," he told the Frankfurter Rundschau.

    "[I have friends] who would like to fly to Qatar, but choose not to for a variety of reasons. Football should be there for everyone. That is why I say it is not a World Cup for fans."

    But Flick recognised making a direct political statement of protest was "a challenge for everyone involved", adding: "We have already had many discussions.

    "We will sit down again in September and consider what we can do together with other nations – or want to do."

    Flick will lead Germany into a major tournament for the first time after succeeding Joachim Low after a last-16 exit to England at Euro 2020.

    They will face Japan, Spain and Costa Rica in Group E, with their first game to be played against the Samurai Blue on November 23.

     

  • 'I did not come to Brazil to get threatened' - Willian ends Corinthians stay 'I did not come to Brazil to get threatened' - Willian ends Corinthians stay

    Willian said "I did not come to Brazil to get threatened" after leaving Corinthians just under a year after joining his boyhood club.

    The midfielder returned to his homeland last August after his Arsenal contract was terminated.

    Willian will be on the move again after revealing he has been subjected to death threats from fans and his family have also been targeted.

    "I did not come to Brazil to get threatened," the former Brazil international told the Globo Esporte.

    "Whenever Corinthians lost and if sometimes I was not doing well in the game, my family received threats, and curses on social media.

    "My wife, my daughters, after a while [they] also started attacking my father, and my sister."

    Corinthians said in a statement: "Corinthians accepted the dismissal of the athlete, the anticipation of the end of the contract.

    "Willian alleged private and family problems and the desire to leave Brazil. Corinthians is sorry, but respects the player's decision."

    The 34-year-old has been linked with another spell in London with Premier League new boys Fulham.

  • Madrid ready to adapt if Asensio and Ceballos leave – Ancelotti Madrid ready to adapt if Asensio and Ceballos leave – Ancelotti

    Carlo Ancelotti hopes Marco Asensio and Dani Ceballos stay at Real Madrid but says Los Blancos will "adapt" if they decide to move on.

    Winger Asensio and midfielder Ceballos are in the final year of their contracts with the European and LaLiga champions.

    Asensio has been linked with the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United, while Ceballos is reportedly a target for his former club Real Betis.

    Madrid boss Ancelotti knows there are no guarantees the duo will still be at the Santiago Bernabeu when the transfer window closes on September 1.

    The Italian told reporters on Saturday: "They are here and working fine. Each one can comment on their future, but I focus on the squad I have with both.

    "Until the 31st, it is like that. If something changes in their heads, we will adapt."

    The champions start the defence of their LaLiga title at Almeria on Sunday, and Ancelotti is as hungry as ever for more trophies after a magnificent 2021-22 season.

    "I have always said that I am passionate about this game," he said. "I'm working for the best club in the world, and that's where the motivation comes from.

    "I wake up in the morning, I enjoy my day, and I'm enjoying my life here at Real Madrid. I know it won't be forever, but there's still a hunger, and I'm delighted to be the manager of Real Madrid."

    Madrid face a hectic schedule ahead of the World Cup, but Ancelotti expects the bigger challenges to come after the tournament in Qatar.

    He said: "Until the World Cup, we won't have many problems. The players will want to go in good condition, and they will prepare well, enjoying the games beforehand. 

    "The big question we have is after the World Cup: how the players will return? After the World Cup, they usually go on vacation, and this year, they will return to enter the important moment of the season. 

    "You have to assess fatigue, think about giving rest... These are things that we doubt today."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.