Mbappe 'already forgotten' after Madrid's Champions League triumph, claims Perez

By Sports Desk May 28, 2022

Florentino Perez claimed he had "already forgotten" Real Madrid's failed pursuit of Kylian Mbappe after watching his side beat Liverpool in the Champions League final.

Mbappe was widely expected to join Madrid when his Paris Saint-Germain contract expired this year.

But the World Cup winner had a change of heart last week and instead committed to a new three-year deal in Paris.

Rather than have Mbappe come to Madrid, Madrid came to him on Saturday, visiting the French capital for another Champions League final and another triumph, winning their 14th European crown and making it eight successive victories when reaching the competition's final.

Vinicius Junior netted the only goal in a 1-0 win, showing the sort of firepower Madrid still possess even without Mbappe.

And president Perez vowed the LaLiga and European champions will continue to chase the world's best players after their transfer disappointment.

"Mbappe is already forgotten," he told Movistar. "We have had a perfect season and we will continue to work to get the best players."

Madrid already have one of the best around in goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, who made a record nine Champions League final saves to keep Mohamed Salah and Liverpool at bay.

"Thibaut has had a spectacular season," Perez said of the Belgian. "He is the best goalkeeper in the world, and that's why we brought him to Real Madrid."

 

Related items

  • Eto'o apologises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win Eto'o apologises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win

    Samuel Eto'o has apologised for "reacting in a way that does not match my personality" during a "violent altercation" after Brazil's win over South Korea on Monday.

    A video was widely circulated on social media on Tuesday of Eto'o, who won 118 caps for Cameroon during a decorated playing career, clashing with a man outside Stadium 974 before appearing to knee him in the face.

    In a statement posted on his Twitter account, Eto'o – who is now president of the Cameroonian Football Federation – apologised for his involvement in the incident, which he blamed on the ongoing fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win over Algeria in March.

    The Algerian Football Federation called for a replay of the second leg after what they described as "scandalous" refereeing decisions.

    Cameroon reached Qatar 2022 courtesy of Karl Toko Ekambi's 124th-minute winner, and former Barcelona and Inter striker Eto'o believes Monday's incident was the latest in a line of "relentless provocation and daily harassment" by Algeria supporters.

    "On December 5, after the Brazil-South Korea match, I had a violent altercation with a person who was probably an Algerian supporter," the statement read.

    "I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality. I apologise to the public for this unfortunate incident.

    "I pledge to continue to resist the relentless provocation and daily harassment of some Algerian supporters.

    "Indeed, since the Cameroon-Algeria match on 29 March in Blida, I have been the target of insults and allegations of cheating without any evidence.

    "During this World Cup, Cameroonian fans have been harassed and pestered by Algerians on the same subject. I would like to mention that the scenario of Algeria's defeat was cruel but perfectly in line with the rules and ethics of our sport.

    "All the appeals made by the Algerian Football Federation to the competent jurisdictions have been rejected.

    "I therefore call on Algerian authorities and Federation to take their responsibilities to put an end to this unhealthy climate before a more serious tragedy occurs.

    "To Fennecs' fans, I wish that they find peace and manage to overcome the disappointment of a painful defeat, now behind us."

  • Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation Liverpool complain to UEFA and Real Madrid over Champions League ticket allocation

    Liverpool have contacted UEFA and Real Madrid to complain about their ticket allocation for March's Champions League last-16 clash at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Jurgen Klopp's team were drawn to face the holders in a repeat of last season's final after finishing second to Serie A leaders Napoli in Group A last month.

    UEFA regulations say visiting teams are entitled to at least five per cent of tickets for Champions League matches, and reports suggest Madrid took the decision for March 15's second leg due to the impact of renovations at their historic home.

    However, a statement from Liverpool on Tuesday said their initial allocation of just 1,800 tickets was still "significantly less than expected" for the game.

    The statement continued: "The club has contacted UEFA and Real Madrid regarding the reduced allocation to understand the rationale behind this decision.

    "LFC will provide supporters with an update when the ticket allocation has been confirmed."

    Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Madrid at the Stade de France in May was overshadowed by the breakdown of security outside the stadium in Paris, with fans of the English club complaining of heavy-handed policing as kick-off was twice delayed.

  • Eto'o apolgises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win Eto'o apolgises for role in 'violent altercation', blames incident on fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win

    Samuel Eto'o has apologised for "reacting in a way that does not match my personality" during a "violent altercation" after Brazil's win over South Korea on Monday.

    A video was widely circulated on social media on Tuesday of Eto'o, who won 118 caps for Cameroon during a decorated playing career, clashing with a man outside Stadium 974 before appearing to knee him in the face.

    In a statement posted on his Twitter account, Eto'o – who is now president of the Cameroonian Football Federation – apologised for his involvement in the incident, which he blamed on the ongoing fallout from Cameroon's World Cup play-off win over Algeria in March.

    The Algerian Football Federation called for a replay of the second leg after what they described as "scandalous" refereeing decisions.

    Cameroon reached Qatar 2022 courtesy of Karl Toko Ekambi's 124th-minute winner, and former Barcelona and Inter striker Eto'o believes Monday's incident was the latest in a line of "relentless provocation and daily harassment" by Algeria supporters.

    "On December 5, after the Brazil-South Korea match, I had a violent altercation with a person who was probably an Algerian supporter," the statement read.

    "I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality. I apologise to the public for this unfortunate incident.

    "I pledge to continue to resist the relentless provocation and daily harassment of some Algerian supporters.

    "Indeed, since the Cameroon-Algeria match on 29 March in Blida, I have been the target of insults and allegations of cheating without any evidence.

    "During this World Cup, Cameroonian fans have been harassed and pestered by Algerians on the same subject. I would like to mention that the scenario of Algeria's defeat was cruel but perfectly in line with the rules and ethics of our sport.

    "All the appeals made by the Algerian Football Federation to the competent jurisdictions have been rejected.

    "I therefore call on Algerian authorities and Federation to take their responsibilities to put an end to this unhealthy climate before a more serious tragedy occurs.

    "To Fennecs' fans, I wish that they find peace and manage to overcome the disappointment of a painful defeat, now behind us."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.