Archer to miss entire IPL as return to action nears

By Sports Desk April 23, 2021

Jofra Archer is closing in on a return to action but will not play at all in the Indian Premier League this year, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has announced.

The pace bowler underwent surgery on his right hand towards the end of March having suffered damage to a finger while cleaning a fish tank.

Archer had also been bothered by a persistent elbow issue during the tour of India earlier in 2021, forcing him to miss the three-match one-day series against Virat Kohli's side.

The 26-year-old is set to resume full training with English county Sussex with the intention of making a playing comeback within the next two weeks.

"Archer returned to bowling this week with higher intensity, and the ECB and Sussex medical teams will continue to monitor his progress,” a statement from the ECB read.

"Archer will now step up his training regime starting next week and will be in full training with Sussex. It is expected that he will return to cricket in the next fortnight if he can continue to bowl and prepare pain-free.

"The ECB will confirm which matches he is expected to play in due course."

The absence of Archer is a huge blow for Rajasthan Royals, particularly as the IPL franchise have already lost England all-rounder Ben Stokes for the entire tournament due to a broken finger.

Archer claimed 20 wickets at an average of 18.25 in the Twenty20 competition for the Royals last year, posting an impressive economy rate of 6.55 runs per over.

Rajasthan have won just once in their opening four outings in the current campaign as they bid to qualify for the play-offs for the first time since 2018.

Related items

  • Boland in line for first overseas Test as Hazlewood ruled out through injury Boland in line for first overseas Test as Hazlewood ruled out through injury

    Josh Hazlewood's rotten luck with injuries has continued after he was ruled out of the opening Test between India and Australia.

    Hazlewood, who has played only four Tests in the last two years, will not feature in Nagpur on Thursday due to an Achilles issue, with Scott Boland in line to play instead.

    A side injury suffered against West Indies in November saw Hazlewood miss not only the second Test of that series, but also the first two matches against South Africa in December.

    He returned for the final Test of that series, taking 5-57 at the Sydney Cricket Ground, but will now have to recover from another niggle.

    Hazlewood joins fellow paceman Mitchell Starc in missing the first Test of the four-match India series, while all-rounder Cameron Green is also a doubt, meaning an overseas bow for Boland is likely.

    Boland has taken 28 wickets across his six Test appearances.

    Discussing the injury, Hazlewood said: "It's still lingering from the [Sydney] Test match [against South Africa].

    "We obviously bowled after a lot of rain and the jump-offs were quite soft, where we were taking off from and they ended up replacing them as well.

    "It sort of worked to a degree, but just that extra load jumping off a soft ground to bowl and again first Test match your body is not used to that sort of workload as well.

    "So we thought we'd give it a few days here straight off the bat and try and get over the hump and have a bowl from Tuesday and hope it goes well."

    Boland has the full backing of his team-mate, however.

    "Scotty has bowled plenty at the MCG when it was a flat wicket, it probably wasn't swinging or reverse swinging so he knows how to work hard for a long period of time," Hazlewood said.

    "You've got Lance Morris who has worked hard on reverse swing for the last month and then a nice lead in here with a few sessions.

    "The guys are excited first of all to play in the subcontinent, they both haven't yet, but they're very well qualified to do so."

  • Australia all-rounder Green has 'outside chance' of being fit for first India Test Australia all-rounder Green has 'outside chance' of being fit for first India Test

    Australia head coach Andrew McDonald has revealed Cameron Green has an "outside chance" of being fit for the first Test against India as he recovers from a broken finger.

    The all-rounder has made quick progress ahead of a first match of the four-match series that starts at the Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium next Thursday.

    McDonald suggested Green may be selected as a specialist batter in Nagpur.

    "He's made some significant steps forward in the last couple of days, probably to my surprise, so there's still an outside chance that everything going well he might be on the team sheet," McDonald told reporters in Alur on Saturday.

    "I wouldn't say he was in discomfort with his bowling, one of the deliveries jarred the bottom of the bat and that can create discomfort for anyone but there's a little bit of awareness around that finger."

    Paceman Mitchell Starc will not play in the opening Test after he sustained a damaged middle finger during the Boxing Day Test against South Africa at the MCG.

    Australia captain Pat Cummins says no decision has been made on the team to take on India.

    "I wouldn't say it [two spinners] is a given, it's very conditions dependent so particularly this first Test, once we get to Nagpur we'll see," Cummins said.

    "I think sometimes talking about a couple of spinners you forget how good a lot of our fast bowlers have been in all conditions. Even some of the SCG wickets, there hasn't been a lot in them for quick bowlers but the quick bowlers have found a way.

    "We've got plenty of bowling options here - finger spin, wrist spin, left-arm, Starcy when he comes back - so we'll obviously pick the bowlers we think can take 20 wickets, how we are going to split that up we aren't 100 per cent sure yet."

  • England Test record holder Ahmed gets nod for Bangladesh series England Test record holder Ahmed gets nod for Bangladesh series

    England's youngest male Test cricketer Rehan Ahmed will have a first chance to shine in white-ball internationals after being called up for next month's ODIs and T20I matches against Bangladesh.

    The Leicestershire spinner was 18 years and 126 days old when he played against Pakistan in Karachi in December, taking seven wickets in the match as England completed a Test series clean sweep at the National Stadium.

    He was left out of the squad heading to New Zealand for two Tests in February, but Ahmed will have the chance to make his debut in both short formats in March after being selected for the three-match ODI series against Bangladesh, which is followed by three T20I games.

    England are World Cup holders in ODIs and T20Is, and Ahmed will be joined by a fellow uncapped player after Somerset batter Tom Abell was also included.

    Lancashire paceman Saqib Mahmood features in the ODI squad as he returns to the England fold after recovering from a stress fracture of the back, while Jos Buttler captains the teams.

    The series will see the teams play ODIs on March 1, 3 and 6, and T20Is on March 9, 12 and 14.

    England ODI squad: Jos Buttler (captain), Tom Abell, Rehan Ahmed, Moeen Ali, Jofra Archer, Sam Curran, Saqib Mahmood, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Jason Roy, Phil Salt, Reece Topley, James Vince, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

    England T20I squad: Jos Buttler (captain), Tom Abell, Rehan Ahmed, Moeen Ali, Jofra Archer, Sam Curran, Ben Duckett, Will Jacks, Chris Jordan, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Phil Salt, Reece Topley, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.