Moeen laments 'disappointing' England batting display after six-run defeat to Pakistan

By Sports Desk September 28, 2022

England stand-in captain Moeen Ali described his team's batting performance as "disappointing" after their six-run defeat to Pakistan, who now lead the seven-match T20I series 3-2.

Mark Wood (3-20) removed half of Pakistan's top six as England bowled out the hosts for 145 runs in 19 overs in Lahore, a reasonably low score considering Mohammad Rizwan top-scored with 63 off 46 balls.

However, England were unable to chase Pakistan's total down despite Moeen making a half-century off just 35 balls, not aided by finding themselves 31-3 after five overs.

And Moeen was frustrated with his team's display, telling reporters: "Of all the games so far, this was the most disappointing, the way we batted in particular.

"Obviously I'm disappointed we didn't chase those runs. I feel we're a better team than that. You have to see the situation of the game, and the conditions.

"All we needed was one partnership, a 60-70 run partnership would have won the game. We want to play this brand that is attacking but you also have to see the situation of the game and the conditions, things like that."

Moeen also spoke of his admiration of Rizwan while also reserving praise for Pakistan's debutant seamer Aamir Jamal, who bowled superbly in the last over to restrict England to seven runs when 15 would have won them the match.

"He's [Rizwan] a brilliant player, so hard to stop and so busy. He's somebody we can learn a lot off," Moeen added.

"He saw the situation and adapted today. He took the risks when he needed to and played properly when he needed to.

"[Jamal] was on debut, nervous, but he bowled really well.

"Two big hits and you’re done. I got one but unfortunately couldn't manage to get the other one. Sometimes you've just got to give it to him, it was a good last over."

Related items

  • England consider sticking with Pope as wicketkeeper for second Test against Pakistan England consider sticking with Pope as wicketkeeper for second Test against Pakistan

    Ben Stokes says England are mulling sticking with Ollie Pope as wicketkeeper for the second Test against Pakistan which starts in Multan on Friday.

    Pope stepped in with the gloves for the ill Ben Foakes in England's 74-run first Test win in Rawalpindi, making 108 in the first innings. Foakes was one of numerous England players hit by illness on the eve of the first Test but was unable to take his place.

    Pope, 24, has made three centuries in 31 Tests but kept wicket for only the second time in his Test career in Rawalpindi.

    If Pope retains the gloves, England could bring in fast bowler Mark Wood, replacing the injured Liam Livingstone, to bolster their attack which was burdened with a heavy workload in the first Test.

    "We found ourselves in that situation and still picked a team that was strong enough to win. We'll consider all our options," Stokes said.

    "I think there are a few different options we are going to lay out in front of each other, and try and understand what is the best option to try and win this Test match. Because we have got a few other factors that we have to contend with.

    "That's the great thing about where we're at at the moment… As I said, we are going to have a conversation at some point about what we feel is the best route to go."

    Beyond Pope's century, he had a mixed Test with the gloves, dropping a catch in Pakistan's first innings, while spurning an opportunity in the second innings with one wicket left.

    Pope also pulled off a smart stumping to dismiss Zahid Mahmood along with an acrobatic one-handed catch down the leg side to dismiss the same player in the same innings as England pushed for victory.

    Wood has only just returned from a long-term elbow injury, with Stokes adding his availability was "an added bonus".

    Another factor impacting selection is the morning smog in Multan, which could delay the start of play, potentially shortening the number of overs available if there is bad light late in the day, like which occurred on four of the five days in Rawalpindi.

    "We'll have a sit-down discussion and we'll find a way to pick a team which we find is best to win the game, with those two things: the start time potentially delayed and coming off early because of the light," Stokes said.

    "We could end up having only 300-350 overs in the Test match. We might have to get even a bit more adventurous with what we do. We'll see."

  • Buttler unsure over Test return as England's limited-overs captain focuses on World Cup Buttler unsure over Test return as England's limited-overs captain focuses on World Cup

    Jos Buttler does not know if he will return to the Test fold for England, stressing his focus remains firmly on white-ball cricket ahead of next year's World Cup defence.

    Having led his side to success in the T20 World Cup last month in Australia, the wicket-keeper-batsman will look to defend the 50-over trophy he won as part of Eoin Morgan's side in 2019 next October.

    Buttler's commitments to the sport's shorter formats has seen him kept out of the red-ball game, having last played for the Test team in January.

    With the World Cup now 10 months away, the 32-year-old is not ruling out a return, but says it is not a priority with his other commitments.

    "We will wait and see [but] I don't know for the minute, to be honest," he told Sky Sports News.

    "I am really enjoying what I'm doing at the moment, and getting the opportunity to captain the white-ball teams has been a great challenge and really enjoyable.

    "The attention turns to the 50-over World Cup and trying to think ahead and planning how we tackle that tournament. We've had a couple of retirements from the side, some stalwarts in Stokes and Morgan.

    "We've got to work out how we fill that hole and give guys the opportunity to take those positions up and look to build a balanced team ahead of the tournament."

    Test skipper Ben Stokes has retired from the ODI format since succeeding Joe Root as red-ball captain, but has not ruled out coming back into the fold for the World Cup.

    Buttler would not be drawn on whether he would reverse his decision, however, adding: "He's got lots on his plate captaining the Test team and obviously some exciting series coming up with the Ashes next year especially.

    "We'll just plan ahead and give guys the opportunity and things will work themselves out naturally.

    "I think over the next six to eight months, guys will perform really well and put their hand up and try to stake a claim for those positions."

  • Cummins out for Australia as West Indies eye show of Adelaide defiance Cummins out for Australia as West Indies eye show of Adelaide defiance

    West Indies are determined to keep scrapping when they face Australia in the second and final Test with both sides dealing with injury issues.

    The Windies were beaten by 164 runs in the first Test in Perth and face an uphill battle to save the series in Adelaide.

    Australia will be without captain Pat Cummins for the day-night Test following a quad strain he suffered in the series opener.

    The hosts have opted not to risk their skipper, with a series with South Africa, who are second behind Australia in the World Test Championship standings, around the corner.

    Steve Smith will deputise as captain for the finale of this series, which does not form part of the Test Championship.

    The tourists will likely be without Nkrumah Bonner, who has a concussion. All-rounder Kyle Mayers will only be available as a batter because of a shoulder issue while bowler Jayden Seales has a knee problem.

    Kemar Roach is also a doubt due to a hamstring concern for an attack that took only six wickets in Perth and was tormented by Marnus Labuschagne, who scored 204 and 104 in a man of the match display.

    But assistant coach Roddy Eastwick wants to see more fighting spirit, which was most evident in the first Test when fast bowler Alzarri Joseph troubled Labuschange with his pace.

    "You are playing the best side in the world, no doubt about that," Estwick said. "You can't go gung-ho.

    "I know everyone has seen how England are playing and think that's the way to go. Well, that's the way they want to go, fine by them, but with us, we know we have to be as patient as possible.

    "We are playing the best team in the world and we just want to grind and fight and stay in the fight as long as possible.

    "We did that [in Perth], we want to go one step further. It's all about improving, learning and getting better. You've just got to keep fighting and scrapping with the Australians."

    Scott out to bowl Windies over

    Scott Boland has been called into the Australia squad in the absence of Cummins.

    Boland has an incredible average of 9.55 having taken 18 wickets in three Tests in the 2021-22 Ashes series.

    His last Sheffield Shield match for Victoria against South Australia at Adelaide saw him take six wickets, so hopes will be high for another impressive showing on the international scene.

    Australia's Adelaide dominance

    The omens for an upset win for the Windies are not good. To be frank, they're terrible.

    Australia are undefeated in their last 18 men's Tests against the Windies (W14 D4), last losing to them in 2003 at St John's in Antigua; in fact, their last loss to them at home came in 1997.

    In addition, Australia have won eight of their last nine men's Tests at Adelaide Oval including their last three on the bounce. They are undefeated in their last four Tests at the venue against the West Indies (W3 D1).

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.