'He has a bright future' - South African quick Ngidi impressed with Windies teenage bowler Seales

By Sports Desk June 12, 2021

South African pace bowler Lungi Ngidi has hailed the potential of West Indies debutant Jayden Seales who claimed a hat-trick on debut for the regional team earlier this.

The West Indies have had a mediocre start to the first Test, with the young bowler’s performance on the first day, where he claimed 3 for 34 one of the few highlights of the match so far.

The inclusion of the 19-year-old, in the absence of lead strike bowler Shannon Gabriel, had proven to be somewhat of a controversial decision.  Critics insisted that the player’s limited experience, having played one First-Class match prior to his debut, meant that more experienced bowlers were being overlooked in his favour.

Ngidi, who himself lit up the first day for South Africa after claiming a sensational 5 for 19, insisted that he had so far been impressed with the young bowler’s talent.

 "He is a bit of a danger and a very exciting future lies ahead for West Indies with him in the line-up," Ngidi told members of the media.

"I was keeping a really good eye on him and his seam presentation is pretty much what I tried to do when I was bowling. I think he has a great wrist behind the ball and a very clean action and he seems he can run in all day."

Related items

  • T20 World Cup: Afghanistan crush Scotland in Super 12 rout T20 World Cup: Afghanistan crush Scotland in Super 12 rout

    Afghanistan started their T20 World Cup Super 12 campaign in style with a 130-run rout of Scotland.

    Having stunned Bangladesh en route to topping Group B to qualify for the Super 12, Scotland will have had hope of causing an upset in Sharjah.

    However, any prospect of them doing so quickly diminished as Afghanistan dominated with bat and ball.

    Hazratullah Zazai (44), Rahmanullah Gurbaz (46) and Najibullah Zadran (59) propelled Afghanistan to a total of 190-4 that always looked well beyond Scotland, who quickly wilted in the face of a mammoth chase.

    Mujeeb Ur Rahman took career-best figures of 5-20 and Rashid Khan claimed 4-9 to bowl Scotland out for just 60.

    The victory sees Afghanistan surge to the top of Group 2 at this early stage.

     

    Afghanistan reach new heights

    Scotland were swiftly on the back foot as Afghanistan piled on 55 runs for the loss of just one wicket in the powerplay and Mohammad Nabi's side did not let up.

    Zazai and Zadran each cleared the rope three times and Gurbaz hit four sixes, the stand of 87 between the latter duo pivotal in Afghanistan posting their highest T20 World Cup score.

    Scotland in a spin

    Scotland's highest successful chase is 181 but they saw a promising early start fade badly as Afghanistan's spinners took hold.

    George Munsey (25), captain Kyle Coetzer (10) and Chris Greaves (12) were the only players to reach double figures as Mujeeb and Rashid ripped through the line-up. A meeting with Namibia is Scotland's most realistic chance of a Super 12 win.

  • Windies batters will continue to be aggressive but have to be better at assessing game situations - Simmons Windies batters will continue to be aggressive but have to be better at assessing game situations - Simmons

    West Indies head coach has admitted that the game and situational awareness of the team was not at its best against England on Saturday but said the team will continue to be aggressive in its approach when they take on South Africa on Tuesday.

  • Stokes added to England Ashes squad after recovery from finger injury Stokes added to England Ashes squad after recovery from finger injury

    Ben Stokes has been added to the England squad for the Ashes tour of Australia.

    The Durham all-rounder was omitted from the original selection as he continued his recovery from a second operation on a broken finger.

    Stokes, who sustained the injury while playing in the Indian Premier League in April, announced in July he was taking a break from cricket to protect his mental wellbeing and allow his finger to recover.

    Having been given the all-clear by the medical team of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), the 30-year-old will depart for Australia with the Test and Lions squad on November 4.

    "I had a break to prioritise my mental wellbeing and I got my finger sorted," Stokes said.

    "I am looking forward to seeing my mates and being on the field with them. I'm ready for Australia."

     

    Ashley Giles, managing director of England Men's Cricket, said: "Following a very successful operation on his finger and several conversations over the last few weeks between Ben and I, our medical staff and his management team, Ben called me to say he was ready to return to cricket and was excited about the prospect of playing a significant role in the Ashes series.

    "Time and time again, Ben has demonstrated how important he is to the England team and having him available for the Ashes series is excellent news for all of us and, in particular, [coach] Chris [Silverwood], Joe [Root] and the rest of the players.

    "Having not played for some time, we will move forward cautiously over the next few weeks to ensure he is fully prepared across all facets of his game.

    "Ahead of a very busy period of cricket, we continue to remain mindful of the stresses on all our personnel, and our primary focus continues to be the wellbeing of all of our players and support staff."

    The Ashes begins at The Gabba on December 8 and concludes a month later at Optus Stadium in Perth.

    England are looking to regain the urn after it was retained by Australia following a 2-2 series draw in 2019.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.