Magnificent Mayers revels in unbeaten double century on debut after writing Test history

By Sports Desk February 07, 2021

Debutant Kyle Mayers made an unbeaten fourth-innings 210 to lead West Indies to the highest successful Test run chase in Asia.

Bangladesh declared in Chattogram to set the Windies a target of 395, which seemed improbable when Mayers arrived at the crease, batting at number five and joining the fray at 59-3.

But the new man, who made 40 in his first innings, joined Nkrumah Bonner to put on 216 for the next wicket and swing momentum back in the tourists' favour on Sunday.

Mayers later did the heavy lifting in another three-figure partnership with Joshua Da Silva, too, and was fittingly the man to scramble the match-winning single with 15 balls remaining in the first Test - and three wickets to spare.

His stunning display sealed the fifth-highest successful chase in the history of the format, a new benchmark in Asia and the best anywhere since 2008.

Mayers survived 310 balls in 415 minutes as he scored 20 fours and seven sixes.

"I have a few centuries in domestic cricket, but this is very special to me," the 28-year-old said.

"It's my highest score and the longest I've ever batted in first-class cricket. It's very special to me to get a double in my first Test match."

Mayers became just the sixth batsman to score a double century on his Test debut and the sixth to pass 200 in a fourth innings.

Only Mayers has combined the two and recorded a double hundred in the fourth innings of his bow in the longest format.

Mayers - with just five limited-overs internationals to his name, his highest score 40 - was driven by the team's need to break new ground on day five, although he tried not to be distracted by a scoreboard that increasingly read in the Windies' favour.

"Truly, I was not looking at the target," he said.

"I was just trying to stick to my game plan for as long as possible, try not to look at the scoreboard, try to bat as long as possible and know within myself that, if I bat the whole day, my team will come across the line.

"The hundred was on the cards for me personally, yes, but I knew the team needed me to score more than 100.

"Batting, I was always thinking of scoring 150 - I thought, at the beginning of the day, if I score 150, 160, my team will be in good stead to cross the line.

"But as I reached 160, I knew that I had to push more and it just encouraged me to go further."

Related items

  • Newcastle complete £45m swoop for Gordon as Everton sell youngster Newcastle complete £45m swoop for Gordon as Everton sell youngster

    Anthony Gordon has completed his move from Everton to Newcastle United.

    Newcastle are reportedly paying £40million up front to Everton, with an additional £5m payable in potential add-ons.

    Gordon was the subject of intense interest from Chelsea at the start of this season, but Everton rejected their advances and had been hoping to tie the young forward to a new deal.

    However, Newcastle and Tottenham also enquired over the 21-year-old, and the Magpies solidified their interest this month.

    Gordon has signed what has been described as a "long-term" contract at St James' Park, becoming Newcastle's first signing of the January transfer window as Eddie Howe's team look to push on for Champions League qualification.

    The new recruit said: "Since I heard of the interest, I was always convinced Newcastle were for me."

    Speaking to NUFC TV, Gordon added: "I think the fan base and the city really suits me as a person, the way the team are playing under the gaffer at the minute really suits me, and the club just look like they're heading in the right direction.

    "I feel like it's a really big step. People haven't seen what I'm capable of yet. I think under the gaffer, and the way the club's going, I can really excel here."

    Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe expects big things, saying: "I'm delighted to sign Anthony – he's a top, top talent.

    "I'm really excited to work with him, to develop him, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Newcastle shirt."

    Gordon's time at Everton ended disappointingly. The academy graduate performed well last season as the Toffees avoided relegation under Frank Lampard, but despite starting this campaign with two goals in the opening five Premier League games, his subsequent performances have been inconsistent.

    He missed training on Tuesday in what Stats Perform understands was a pre-authorised absence and was also absent from Finch Farm on Wednesday and Thursday, before returning to Everton's base on Friday.

    Cash-strapped Everton are 19th and sacked Lampard on Monday, with Sean Dyche being tipped to be named as his replacement, and Gordon was confronted by a group of fans outside Goodison Park following a 2-1 defeat to fellow strugglers Southampton on January 14.

    Gordon is Everton's joint-leading league scorer this term, with three goals, but he has created just eight chances for team-mates and has not provided an assist, recording just 0.5 expected assists across 16 appearances.

    Only Demarai Gray (51) has attempted more dribbles in Everton's squad than Gordon (41), but England Under-21 international Gordon has completed just 10 of those.

    Gordon has had 26 shots, second only to Gray among Everton players, and his tally of 16 on target tops the charts.

    Howe will believe he can rekindle Gordon's best form as he aims to add further spark to Newcastle's attack, having allowed Chris Wood to join Nottingham Forest.

  • Juventus 0-2 Monza: Allegri's side again fall to spirited Biancorossi Juventus 0-2 Monza: Allegri's side again fall to spirited Biancorossi

    Two first-half goals for Monza proved enough to give them their second win of the season against Juventus to add to the Bianconeri's problems.

    Patrick Ciurria and Dany Mota struck for Raffaele Palladino's men as they secured a 2-0 win at Allianz Stadium on Sunday to follow up their 1-0 win earlier in the season in Palladino's first game in charge.

    Juve only beat Monza 2-1 in the Coppa Italia 10 days prior but struggled to deal with their energetic visitors here, as they had done in their defeat at Stadio Brianteo in the reverse league fixture in September.

    It is a further blow to Juve's hopes of Champions League qualification following their 15-point penalty related to the club's transfer dealings imposed earlier this month.

    Monza were denied the lead when Gianluca Caprari's strike was ruled out for offside after a VAR check, but they were not made to wait long to rectify that as Ciurria raced onto a pass from Jose Machin before firing into the roof of the net in the 18th minute.

    It was two for the visitors six minutes before half-time as Carlos Augusto went on a mazy run through the Juve defence before feeding Mota, who rounded Wojciech Szczesny and finished calmly.

    Massimiliano Allegri opted to bring Arkadiusz Milik on for Moise Kean early in the second half as the hosts looked to find a way back into the game, and Michele Di Gregorio did well to keep out a fierce effort from the Pole.

    The 25-year-old stopper produced his finest save of the game in the 74th minute when he tipped an Angel Di Maria effort from long range wide when it had been arrowing towards to top corner of his goal.

    Gleison Bremer had a goal disallowed with just over 10 minutes remaining as Juve toiled and ultimately failed to get back into the contest.

  • Da Silva cracks unbeaten 100 as West Indies takes complete command against Zimbabwe XI Da Silva cracks unbeaten 100 as West Indies takes complete command against Zimbabwe XI

    Joshua Da Silva scored the second unbeaten century of the innings to leave the West Indies in total command against a Zimbabwe XI on Sunday’s second day of their three-day match at Bulawayo.

    The Trinidadian wicketkeeper/batsman retired not out as the West Indies amassed 517 from 132.5 overs. The visiting bowlers then struck early and often to reduce the Zimbabwe XI to 52-5 at stumps.

    Da Silva’s ton that came from 149 balls and included 13 fours followed that of Captain Kraigg Brathwaite retired on 116 on Saturday.

    Resuming on his overnight score on nine and Devon Thomas on 42 with the score on 313-5, the pair added 23 to their partnership of 18 before Thomas was dismissed for 49.

    Da Silva and Roston Chase then mounted a seventh-wicket stand of 158 before he retired leaving Chase unbeaten on 87 at the end after Jason Holder and Alzarri Joseph were dismissed for four and 11, respectively.

    Milton Shumba was the best of the Zimbabwe XI bowlers with 3-80. Donald Tiripano took 2-34.

    Chasing the mammoth total, Zimbabwe XI were in early trouble when Joseph had opener Kudzai Maunze caught behind for a duck in the second over of the innings.

    He later dismissed Joylord Gumbie in similar fashion for 11 in the sixth over to have Zimbabwe XI struggling on 12-2. Kyle Mayers got among the wickets when he dismissed Tanunurwa Makoni for 13 as the side slipped to 30-3.

    Jason Holder made it 31-4 when he trapped Wessly Madhevere lbw for nought and Shannon Gabriel dismissed Tony Munyonga for one to make it 36-5.

    Timycen Maruma (15*) and Shumba who is nine not out managed to inch towards the close of play without further loss.

    Joseph has so far taken 2-14 for the West Indies while Holder has 1-2 from four overs.

     

     

     

     

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.