Holder and Seales return to West Indies squad for Test tour of England

By Sports Desk June 04, 2024

West Indies have named returning pair Jason Holder and Jayden Seales in their Test squad for the upcoming series against England.

Veteran all-rounder Holder and pace bowler Seales missed the Windies' last red-ball outing against Australia in January.

Holder opted to play for Dubai Capitals in the International League T20 but his form in the longest format of cricket with Barbados and Worcestershire has brought a recall.

Seales was unavailable for the tour of Australia with a shoulder injury but has impressed in England this season for Sussex as the joint-highest wicket-taker in Division Two of the County Championship.

The touring West Indians will also have Alzarri Joseph, Shamar Joseph and Kemar Roach as seam-bowling options to choose from.

At the top of the order, opening batter Tagenarine Chanderpaul has been dropped after just 31 runs across four innings against Australia.

Mikyle Louis has replaced Chanderpaul and could become the first man from St Kitts to play Test cricket for West Indies, if selected for the first Test at Lord's, starting on July 10.

"The squad has been shaped with both experience and emerging talent, ensuring a strong balance as we face the challenge of playing in English conditions," Desmond Haynes, West Indies' lead selector, said.

"Over the past year, our red-ball program has continued to develop. Following our victory in the last Test in Australia in January, it is evident that we are seeing the fruits of that investment.

"Each player selected has earned their place through consistent performances and hard work. We are confident that this blend of seasoned players and emerging faces will perform admirably against England."

West Indies 15-man Test squad for England tour:

Kraigg Brathwaite (captain), Alick Athanaze, Joshua Da Silva (wicket-keeper), Jason Holder, Kavem Hodge, Tevin Imlach, Alzarri Joseph (vice-captain), Shamar Joseph, Mikyle Louis, Zachary McCaskie, Kirk McKenzie, Gudakesh Motie, Kemar Roach, Jayden Seales, Kevin Sinclair.

Related items

  • Pope backing England to make 600 in a day ahead of third West Indies Test Pope backing England to make 600 in a day ahead of third West Indies Test

    Ollie Pope believes England could shatter records by making 600 runs in a single day as they target a series whitewash over West Indies at Edgbaston.

    England sealed a series victory over the Windies in last week's second Test at Trent Bridge, scoring over 400 in both innings of a Test match for the first time as they made totals of 416 and 425.

    Vice-captain Pope managed a superb first-innings knock of 121 before Joe Root (122) and Harry Brook (109) brought up their centuries in the second innings.

    England have become renowned for their all-out batting style – dubbed 'Bazball' – under head coach Brendon McCullum and captain Ben Stokes.

    Pope believes that approach suits England's batters and feels they could make history by breaking the record for most runs made by a team in a single day of Test cricket – Sri Lanka's 509-9 versus Bangladesh in July 2002.

    "I got asked on day one, 'do you get told to play like that?' No, we don't. It's just our natural game and the way we go about it," Pope said.

    "Sometimes we might score 280 to 300 in a day, but that's okay and probably because we're reading situations.

    "There might also be a day where we go and get 500 to 600 at some point in the future as well, and that's a cool thing to have."

    England came within three runs of that record Sri Lanka total on their 2022 tour of Pakistan, and Pope believes their success is down to the ruthlessness of the batting order.

    "There's a real hunger – there always is a hunger – but now there's an extra bit in that batting line-up," Pope added.

    "We want to be as ruthless as we can as a batting unit, but still play the way we do because that's our natural game.

    "Obviously being ruthless is being part of Test cricket as well."

  • Timing not right for England coaching role, says former captain Morgan Timing not right for England coaching role, says former captain Morgan

    Eoin Morgan says the timing is not right for him to take over as England's limited-overs coach if Matthew Mott departs.

    Speculation has suggested Mott could leave his role following England's failure to defend their T20 World Cup crown in the United States and West Indies last month, losing to India in the semi-finals.

    Morgan captained the side to glory at 2019's 50-over World Cup and retired from international cricket in 2022, having been credited with transforming England's white-ball culture.

    The 37-year-old, who played 225 ODIs and 102 T20Is for England, has been tipped to coach his country in the future, but he is not tempted by the role at this moment.

    "I've been asked a lot over the last couple of months about the role and whether I would take it on," he told Sky Sports.

    "My answer has simply been, the timing for everything in my life at the moment is not right.

    "Yes, I want to coach down the line, but I've got a young family and I spend a lot more time at home.

    "I'm loving what I'm doing, watching cricket through this [punditry work].

    "This news is news to me. It's not nice when a coach comes under fire and there is a lot of speculation about his future. Only time will tell what will happen."

    England's T20 World Cup campaign followed a miserable defence of their ODI crown in India last year, where they lost six of their nine games and crashed out in the group stage.

  • Joelinton calls on Howe and Guimaraes to stay at Newcastle amid England, Man City links Joelinton calls on Howe and Guimaraes to stay at Newcastle amid England, Man City links

    Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe and midfielder Bruno Guimaraes should stay at St James' Park despite being linked with moves elsewhere, believes Joelinton.

    Howe has been touted as a contender to replace Gareth Southgate following his resignation as England manager, which came in the wake of their Euro 2024 final loss to Spain.

    The former Bournemouth boss, who led Newcastle to a fourth-place Premier League finish and the EFL Cup final in 2023-24, insisted his commitment to the Magpies was "unwavering" last week.

    Guimaraes, meanwhile, saw his future called into question at the end of last season, with Newcastle battling to comply with the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules.

    Linked with both Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City, he had a £100million release clause in his contract, but it expired at the start of this month.

    As Newcastle bid to improve on last season's seventh-place Premier League finish, Joelinton hopes disruption can be kept to a minimum.

    Speaking about Howe, as quoted by The Daily Mail, the Brazilian said: "He's done a lot for me from day one. 

    "He's a great coach, a great man. I love him. I have a lot of respect for him. He changed my career.

    "He and his staff changed things, they gave a new mentality and helped my football. I will be grateful forever. 

    "We love him here, we want him here. Hopefully he will stay for many years. He's a great coach and I know he can take us to the next level."

    Asked about the future of his club and international team-mate Guimaraes, meanwhile, Joelinton told The Athletic: "I hope he stays. I know him, he loves the club as well. 

    "He loves the fans, he enjoys his life in Newcastle. I think he's glad to be there for his life as well as for football. Newcastle want him to be happy and stay for many years.

    "I think he's going to stay. He tells me he's going to come back next week and get ready for the season."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.