Stokes hails 'great series' after England seal victory against South Africa

By Sports Desk September 12, 2022

England captain Ben Stokes was proud of his team's attitude after seeing them secure a series win against South Africa at The Oval on Monday.

Starting the day needing just 33 runs with all 10 wickets remaining in their second innings, England took just 5.3 overs to reach their target of 130, sealing a 2-1 win in the three-Test series.

Alex Lees (39) was the only batsman to fall, trapped lbw by Kagiso Rabada, but his fellow opener Zak Crawley (69 not out) and Ollie Pope (11no) saw the hosts home.

It was England's sixth win in their last seven Test matches, and Stokes – who was named player of the series – outlined how pleased he was with the way the team has embraced the attacking mindset promoted by him and head coach Brendon McCullum.

"It has been a great series for us as a team," he told Sky Sports.

"It has been a series where we haven't had any real individual standout performances, but different people throughout the series have put their hands up in crucial periods for us.

"For me, it is about the clarity of the decisions. Me and Brendon are the guys who are sending this message to this group of players, I said to the lads in the dressing room the other day that the person who is delivering the message can only do so much."

Ollie Robinson returned during the series for the first time since an underwhelming Ashes series in January, and was named player of the match after claiming 7-89 with the ball across both South Africa innings, including five-for in the first.

"It has been a really enjoyable comeback for myself and the team," the bowler said to Sky Sports. 

"The experience over the last few weeks has been really enjoyable and it has just been great to be with the lads again. 

"It is nice to get where I am at the moment but I don't think I am the finished article by any means."

Related items

  • Hazlewood ruled out of second Test with Neser into the attack Hazlewood ruled out of second Test with Neser into the attack

    Australia have made an unexpected change for the second Test against the West Indies starting Thursday with Josh Hazlewood ruled out due to general soreness replaced by Michael Neser.

    Hazlewood joins skipper Pat Cummins (quad) in missing the second Test after helping Australia to a comprehensive 164-run victory in the first Test in Perth.

    Australia's stand-in skipper Steve Smith won the toss and elected to bat on Thursday for the day-night Test at Adelaide Oval which rounds out the two-game Test series, before taking on South Africa in a three-game Test series starting on Saturday 17 December.

    Neser comes into the Australia side for his second Test appearance, with his only previous game coming at the same venue 12 months ago in similar circumstances with both Cummins and Hazlewood dropping out.

    Uncapped tearaway Lance Morris, who was added to the Australia Test squad along with Neser earlier this week, misses out on the final XI.

    "Unfortunately, Hazlewood was pulled out last night. I'm not entirely sure of his availability for South Africa," Smith said at the coin toss. "But Neser bowled really well last year so we're thrilled to have him back."

    Australia had previously indicated they were optimistic Cummins would be available for the first Test against the Proteas.

    The West Indies made three changes to their side, with Kemar Roach, Jayden Seales and Kyle Mayers out through injury, replaced by Anderson Phillip and debutants Marquino Mindley and Devon Thomas.

  • England consider sticking with Pope as wicketkeeper for second Test against Pakistan England consider sticking with Pope as wicketkeeper for second Test against Pakistan

    Ben Stokes says England are mulling sticking with Ollie Pope as wicketkeeper for the second Test against Pakistan which starts in Multan on Friday.

    Pope stepped in with the gloves for the ill Ben Foakes in England's 74-run first Test win in Rawalpindi, making 108 in the first innings. Foakes was one of numerous England players hit by illness on the eve of the first Test but was unable to take his place.

    Pope, 24, has made three centuries in 31 Tests but kept wicket for only the second time in his Test career in Rawalpindi.

    If Pope retains the gloves, England could bring in fast bowler Mark Wood, replacing the injured Liam Livingstone, to bolster their attack which was burdened with a heavy workload in the first Test.

    "We found ourselves in that situation and still picked a team that was strong enough to win. We'll consider all our options," Stokes said.

    "I think there are a few different options we are going to lay out in front of each other, and try and understand what is the best option to try and win this Test match. Because we have got a few other factors that we have to contend with.

    "That's the great thing about where we're at at the moment… As I said, we are going to have a conversation at some point about what we feel is the best route to go."

    Beyond Pope's century, he had a mixed Test with the gloves, dropping a catch in Pakistan's first innings, while spurning an opportunity in the second innings with one wicket left.

    Pope also pulled off a smart stumping to dismiss Zahid Mahmood along with an acrobatic one-handed catch down the leg side to dismiss the same player in the same innings as England pushed for victory.

    Wood has only just returned from a long-term elbow injury, with Stokes adding his availability was "an added bonus".

    Another factor impacting selection is the morning smog in Multan, which could delay the start of play, potentially shortening the number of overs available if there is bad light late in the day, like which occurred on four of the five days in Rawalpindi.

    "We'll have a sit-down discussion and we'll find a way to pick a team which we find is best to win the game, with those two things: the start time potentially delayed and coming off early because of the light," Stokes said.

    "We could end up having only 300-350 overs in the Test match. We might have to get even a bit more adventurous with what we do. We'll see."

  • Buttler unsure over Test return as England's limited-overs captain focuses on World Cup Buttler unsure over Test return as England's limited-overs captain focuses on World Cup

    Jos Buttler does not know if he will return to the Test fold for England, stressing his focus remains firmly on white-ball cricket ahead of next year's World Cup defence.

    Having led his side to success in the T20 World Cup last month in Australia, the wicket-keeper-batsman will look to defend the 50-over trophy he won as part of Eoin Morgan's side in 2019 next October.

    Buttler's commitments to the sport's shorter formats has seen him kept out of the red-ball game, having last played for the Test team in January.

    With the World Cup now 10 months away, the 32-year-old is not ruling out a return, but says it is not a priority with his other commitments.

    "We will wait and see [but] I don't know for the minute, to be honest," he told Sky Sports News.

    "I am really enjoying what I'm doing at the moment, and getting the opportunity to captain the white-ball teams has been a great challenge and really enjoyable.

    "The attention turns to the 50-over World Cup and trying to think ahead and planning how we tackle that tournament. We've had a couple of retirements from the side, some stalwarts in Stokes and Morgan.

    "We've got to work out how we fill that hole and give guys the opportunity to take those positions up and look to build a balanced team ahead of the tournament."

    Test skipper Ben Stokes has retired from the ODI format since succeeding Joe Root as red-ball captain, but has not ruled out coming back into the fold for the World Cup.

    Buttler would not be drawn on whether he would reverse his decision, however, adding: "He's got lots on his plate captaining the Test team and obviously some exciting series coming up with the Ashes next year especially.

    "We'll just plan ahead and give guys the opportunity and things will work themselves out naturally.

    "I think over the next six to eight months, guys will perform really well and put their hand up and try to stake a claim for those positions."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.