IOC dismisses 'categorically untrue' reports that Tokyo Olympics will be called off

By Sports Desk January 22, 2021

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has dismissed a report that the Tokyo Games will be cancelled as "categorically untrue."

Athletes from all over the world are due to head to the Japanese capital for a showpiece that is scheduled to be opened a year later than orignally planned on July 23.

The coronavirus pandemic prevented the Olympics from being staged last year and there have been growing concerns that it will not be possible for the Games to go ahead in 2021.

An unnamed senior Japanese government source told The Times: "No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it's too difficult. Personally, I don't think it's going to happen."

Yet Thomas Bach, the IOC president, this week told Kyodo News there is "no reason whatsoever" to believe the Games will be called off for a second time due to the COVID-19 crisis and said there is "no plan B" for the Games.

The Japanese government also firmly stated on Friday there is no truth in claims that it has concluded the Olympics will have to be cancelled.

A statement from the IOC said: "We refer you to the strong and clear statement that the Japanese Government made today, saying that the report is "categorically untrue".

The statement from the Japanese government said: "Some news reports circulating today are claiming that the Government of Japan has privately concluded that the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus. This is categorically untrue.

"At an IOC Executive Board meeting in July last year, it was agreed that the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 would be held on July 23 this year, and the programme and venues for the Games were rescheduled accordingly.

"All parties involved are working together to prepare for a successful Games this summer.

"We will be implementing all possible countermeasures against COVID-19 and will continue to work closely with the IOC, the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government in our preparations for holding a safe and secure Games this summer."

Related items

  • WGC-HSBC Champions cancelled due to COVID for third straight season WGC-HSBC Champions cancelled due to COVID for third straight season

    The WGC-HSBC Champions in Shanghai has again been cancelled "due to ongoing COVID-19 related restrictions", the PGA Tour has announced.

    The event was last played in 2019, when Rory McIlroy took the title.

    But the breakout of coronavirus in 2020 denied McIlroy the opportunity to defend his crown, before the tournament could not be held again the following year.

    While the PGA Tour is now back in full swing, remaining COVID restrictions in China will again prevent the WGC-HSBC from taking place.

    The Tour announced the Bermuda Championship would be played with full FedEx Cup points and an elevated purse of $6.5million.

  • Agarwal returns for India against England after Rohit tests positive for COVID-19 Agarwal returns for India against England after Rohit tests positive for COVID-19

    Mayank Agarwal has been called up by India after captain Rohit Sharma tested positive for COVID-19 ahead of the rescheduled Test against England.

    Rohit played in the first innings of the warm-up game against Leicestershire, scoring 25 before not batting in the second.

    The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) subsequently confirmed the 35-year-old had contracted coronavirus on Saturday, just six days before the rearranged Test against England at Edgbaston starts.

    Agarwal was initially left out of the squad, but an injury to KL Rahul and Rohit's isolation has opened the door for him to return to the Test side for the first time since March.

    The 31-year-old managed just 59 runs in his last two Tests against Sri Lanka at home and endured a difficult Indian Premier League campaign, registering just 196 runs at an average of 16.3.

    Agarwal looked likely to open when India travelled to England last year but suffered concussion before the opener, with Rohit stepping in and leading the tourists' scoring charts with 368 runs in eight innings.

    That is the second-most runs scored by any batter in the series, which the tourists lead 2-1 with one match to play, but India will now face a resurgent England side under new leadership.

    Brendon McCullum and Ben Stokes have combined as the new coach and captain partnership, with England downing world Test champions New Zealand 3-0.

    England completed the series whitewash over the Kiwis on Monday, easing to their 296 target at Headingley to become the first Test team to chase down 250 three times in a single series.

    India squad:  Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Hanuma Vihari, Cheteshwar Pujara, Rishabh Pant (wk), KS Bharat (wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Umesh Yadav, Prasidh Krishna, Mayank Agarwal.

     

  • Wolves head coach Lage to miss Chelsea trip with COVID-19 Wolves head coach Lage to miss Chelsea trip with COVID-19

    Wolves will be without head coach Bruno Lage for Saturday's trip to Chelsea in the Premier League after he contracted coronavirus.

    Lage returned a positive COVID-19 test on Friday, with Wolves confirming he will not travel with the squad to Stamford Bridge.

    Coronavirus restrictions in the United Kingdom have been all but removed in recent months, but government guidance does still urge people to "try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for five days".

    Lage's absence comes as a blow for Wolves at a critical stage of the season as they still harbour hopes of qualifying for the Europa Conference League.

    Wolves, who have lost four of their past five including three on the bounce, are three points behind West Ham in the final European qualification spot but have a game in hand on the Hammers.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.