Carter calls it quits - worsening medical condition played role in sprinter's retirement

By Sports Desk August 31, 2021

Jamaica 100m sprinter Nesta Carter has retired from the sport of athletics on the back of recent struggles with an undisclosed medical condition.

The 35-year-old, who was part of Jamaica’s world record gold-winning 4x100m relay team at the London Olympics, made the announcement, on Tuesday, via social media platform Twitter.

“…I am no longer able to give of my best as an athlete to the sport that I know and love.  As a result, and for other reasons, I am announcing my retirement from track and field and an athlete,” the release read.

“My ultimate decision to retire from athletics was also precipitated by a private medical condition, which has been getting worse.  This condition has hindered me from training and competing since March 2021.  A medication prescribed by my doctor to address this medical issue breaches existing anti-doping rules.  As such, I had to make a choice between my health and athletics, and I chose my health.”

The athlete was also part of Jamaica’s gold medal-winning relay team at the 2008 Olympics, but the medal was stripped after a retrospective test returned a positive sample from Carter.  The athlete was also part of a gold medal-winning relay team at the 2011, 2013, and 2015 World Championships.  Carter claimed an individual bronze medal at the 2013 World Championships and has the eighth fastest time ever recorded over the distance.

Related items

  • Fraser-Pryce partners with Visa to launch limited-edition branded shirts in another foundation fundraiser Fraser-Pryce partners with Visa to launch limited-edition branded shirts in another foundation fundraiser

    Eight-time Olympic medallist and founder of the Pocket Rocket Foundation, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, has partnered with Visa to create specially branded shirts that will be available to donors who use their Visa cards to contribute US$100 to her foundation.

    The shirts will feature Fraser-Pryce’s signature as well as the Olympic rings on the sleeve. Donors will also receive a mask signed by Fraser-Pryce and a Pocket Rocket pin.

    Fraser-Pryce, who lowered her 100m personal best to 10.60 this season, says all proceeds will go towards the Pocket Rocket Foundation.

    The nine-time World Championships gold medallist reminded potential Visa donors that their contributions are for a good cause.

    “I know you guys are eager to grab the shirts but please be reminded that this will go towards the Pocket Rocket Foundation and your support means the world to us and all our student-athletes, the ones who are still here and the ones who are coming for the future,” she said.

    This branded shirts venture is the latest in a number of initiatives Fraser-Pryce has undertaken to raise funds for the foundation. Last month, she was the guest of honour at an auction held at the Miramar Cultural Centre in Florida. 

  • Retired Carter given four-year ban after positive test Retired Carter given four-year ban after positive test

    Retired Jamaica sprinter Nesta Carter has been banned for four years after testing positive for a prohibited substance earlier this year.

    The 36-year-old Carter announced his retirement from track and field in August, at that time stating that medical condition had not allowed him to train since March, and insisting he was putting his health over his career.

    According to reports, Carter returned an adverse analytical finding for the substance, clomiphene, which can alter male testosterone levels.  The former athlete has insisted that the substance was in a medication prescribed by his physician while he was out of competition.

    The ban was the second for the sprinter, who retrospectively tested positive from a sample, taken at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, in 2016.  The substance was methylhexanamine.

     The positive test led to Jamaica being stripped of their Beijing 2008 gold in the men's 4x100 metres.  The decision was handed down by the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel.

  • 'It doesn't look good' - Aston Villa boss Gerrard expects Bailey to be out at least a couple games 'It doesn't look good' - Aston Villa boss Gerrard expects Bailey to be out at least a couple games

    Jamaica international and Aston Villa wide player Leon Bailey is likely to miss at least a couple of games after leaving the pitch in the first half against Manchester City earlier this week.

    The 24-year-old cut a frustrated figure after he was forced to leave the pitch after just 30 minutes, apparently suffering an issue with his thigh.  The midfielder had previously missed a few weeks after suffering an issue with the muscle after coming on against Everton in September.

    New Villa coach Steven Gerrard admits that the injury did not look good but revealed the team was awaiting the results of a scan.

    "Leon's one doesn't look great," Gerrard told BirminghamLive.

    "He obviously has a muscle problem which, when he sprinted, he pulled up. He has a problem that we will analyse in the coming days,” he added.

    "He will need an MRI scan and we will have to find out what the damage is. It looks like he will miss at least a couple of games. He was starting to look a real threat in training."

    Villa will be back in action this weekend with a home fixture against Leicester City.  Bailey has missed five out of 14 Premier League games due to injuries this season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.