Spectator-less Boys and Girls Championships set for May 11-15, ISSA president confirms

By April 16, 2021

Jamaica’s Inter-Secondary School Sports Association (ISSA) has been given the green light to stage the GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships at the National Stadium in Kingston from May 11-15.

 However, the championships will go ahead without spectators because of the ongoing pandemic that caused the 111-year-old championships to be cancelled in 2020.

Earlier this afternoon, ISSA President Keith Wellington confirmed to Sportsmax.TV that Champs would be held. When asked, Wellington’s simply said, “Yes.”

There was growing uncertainty about whether the championships were going to be cancelled for a second year running as the government agencies tasked with containing the spread of the Covid-19 virus were concerned over whether there would be strict adherence to safety protocols.

The uncertainty was further heightened when several other meets including the Central and Eastern Championships scheduled for between April 26 and 30, were cancelled following a lockdown imposed that saw the last track meet being held on March 20.

Since last week stakeholders had been meeting to discuss the protocols hoping to agree to the conditions that would make Champs possible this year.

The championships will be key to getting some of Jamaica's junior athletes the competition they need to prepare for the Carifta Games and the World U20 Championships to held in Bermuda and Kenya, respectively. The news also coincides with the return of the Velocity Fest track meet this weekend.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Fraser-Pryce partners with Visa to launch limited-edition branded shirts in another foundation fundraiser Fraser-Pryce partners with Visa to launch limited-edition branded shirts in another foundation fundraiser

    Eight-time Olympic medallist and founder of the Pocket Rocket Foundation, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, has partnered with Visa to create specially branded shirts for sale to benefit the next generation of athletes through her foundation.

    The shirts will feature Fraser-Pryce’s signature as well as the Olympic rings on the sleeve and can be purchased for $100 US each, only with a Visa Card.

    Fraser-Pryce, who lowered her 100m personal best to 10.60 this season, says all proceeds from the sales of the shirts will go towards the Pocket Rocket Foundation.

    Buyers of the shirts will also receive a mask signed by Fraser-Pryce and a Pocket Rocket pin.

    The nine-time World Championships gold medallist urged people to remember that it is for a good cause.

    “I know you guys are eager to grab the shirts but please be reminded that this will go towards the Pocket Rocket Foundation and your support means the world to us and all our student-athletes, the ones who are still here and the ones who are coming for the future,” she said.

    This branded shirts venture is the latest in a number of initiatives Fraser-Pryce has undertaken to raise funds for the foundation. Last month, she was the guest of honour at an auction held at the Miramar Cultural Centre in Florida. 

  • Disgraced former IAAF president, Lamine Diack, dead at age 88 Disgraced former IAAF president, Lamine Diack, dead at age 88

    Lamine Diack, the disgraced former president of World Athletics has died of natural causes at the age of 88, according to multiple reports.

  • Retired Carter given four-year ban after positive test Retired Carter given four-year ban after positive test

    Retired Jamaica sprinter Nesta Carter has been banned for four years after testing positive for a prohibited substance earlier this year.

    The 36-year-old Carter announced his retirement from track and field in August, at that time stating that medical condition had not allowed him to train since March, and insisting he was putting his health over his career.

    According to reports, Carter returned an adverse analytical finding for the substance, clomiphene, which can alter male testosterone levels.  The former athlete has insisted that the substance was in a medication prescribed by his physician while he was out of competition.

    The ban was the second for the sprinter, who retrospectively tested positive from a sample, taken at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, in 2016.  The substance was methylhexanamine.

     The positive test led to Jamaica being stripped of their Beijing 2008 gold in the men's 4x100 metres.  The decision was handed down by the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.