Real Madrid to take legal action over Cristiano Ronaldo NDA claim

By Sports Desk October 11, 2018

Real Madrid are to take legal action against a Portuguese newspaper that suggested the club pressurised Cristiano Ronaldo into seeking a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) with Kathryn Mayorga. 

Ms Mayorga has accused Ronaldo, who left Madrid for Juventus in July, of raping her in a hotel in Las Vegas in 2009, allegations the player and his lawyers have repeatedly denied.

The story originated in German publication Der Spiegel, whose initial claims an NDA worth $375,000 had been reached was confirmed by Ronaldo's lawyer Peter Christiansen on Wednesday.

Ms Mayorga filed a lawsuit last month in an attempt to quash that agreement while Las Vegas police have re-opened an investigation.

Correio da Manha claimed on Wednesday that the NDA was put in place at Madrid's request, with the club having spent a then-world-record fee on the forward just weeks after the incident is claimed to have taken place.

Madrid insist that is "false information" and, in a statement, said: "Real Madrid CF can today announce that the club has taken legal action against the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha for publishing categorically false information in an effort to seriously damage the image of this club.

"Real Madrid has absolutely no knowledge of any of the information that the newspaper published with regard to the player Cristiano Ronaldo, and therefore the club was unable to take action on a matter of which it had no knowledge.

"Real Madrid has demanded total rectification of the situation from the aforementioned newspaper."

Ronaldo, who previously labelled Ms Mayorga's claims "fake news" in an Instagram video, has protested his innocence and called rape "an abominable crime".

He said on Twitter: "I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.

"Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.

"My clear conscious [sic] will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations."

Christiansen on Wednesday also said documents reported to contain statements from the player had been altered.

"It is my understanding that in 2015, dozens of entities [including law firms] across many different industries throughout Europe were hacked and their electronic data was stolen and captured by a cyber criminal," he said.

"This hacker attempted to sell this data, and one media outlet has now irresponsibly published the stolen documents, significant portions of which were altered and/or completely fabricated. To absolve any doubt, Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in 2009 in Las Vegas was consensual in nature.

"While Mr Ronaldo does not deny the existence of the mutual agreement and release, his motivations for agreeing to that resolution have been twisted to say the least.

"Far from any admission of guilt or any ulterior motive, Mr Ronaldo was advised to privately resolve the allegations against him in order to avoid the inevitable attempts that are now being made to destroy a reputation that has been built upon hard work, athleticism and honour.

"Unfortunately, he now finds himself embroiled in the type of litigation that is all too commonplace in America."

He added: "To be clear, Mr Ronaldo vehemently denies all of the allegations in the complaint and has consistently maintained that denial for the last nine years."

Related items

  • Mourinho sacked: Solari not worried for Real Madrid job Mourinho sacked: Solari not worried for Real Madrid job

    Santiago Solari insists he is not suddenly worrying about his future as Real Madrid coach after Jose Mourinho was sacked by Manchester United having been linked with a return to the Santiago Bernabeu.

    United ended Mourinho's tenure on Tuesday following a dire start to the season, which has left them trailing Premier League leaders Liverpool by 19 points.

    Mourinho's final game in charge was Sunday's 3-1 defeat by United's bitter rivals, but his position had long since been the subject of speculation, the coach's relationship with various players coming under scrutiny.

    The Portuguese coach has been linked with a potential return to Madrid – whom he coached for three years until 2013 – at the end of the season, despite Solari only taking over permanently last month.

    But Solari has no worries about the rumours, brushing them off as something Madrid coaches have to put up with.

    Speaking to reporters ahead of Wednesday's Club World Cup game with Kashima Antlers, Solari said: "I have the utmost respect and admiration for all my colleagues, professionals and amateurs, who also do an exceptional job, and with more reason to those who have been a part of this club and have given us joys and have given the maximum so that this club does well.

    "And how could I worry that there is speculation about Madrid? That happens every day."

    Mourinho's dismissal has seen debates comparing his time at United with Pep Guardiola's Manchester City tenure, with some suggesting the success of the latter has made United look even worse.

    Solari was not eager to side himself with the philosophies of either coach, however.

    "I identify with the values ​​represented by Madrid," he said. "It has to be a dominating team, always seeking victory, has to attack, get goals, must not surrender under any circumstances.

    "To achieve that, we must work on many aspects at a tactical and methodological level and also at the physical level. But, to sum up, I feel identified by the football values ​​that represent Madrid."

  • Mourinho sacked: Real Madrid's Marcelo lauds 'great coach' after United exit Mourinho sacked: Real Madrid's Marcelo lauds 'great coach' after United exit

    Marcelo thanked Jose Mourinho for the impact he had on his career while at Real Madrid and saluted the "great coach" following his sacking by Manchester United.

  • Emery prepared to give youth a chance in north London derby Emery prepared to give youth a chance in north London derby

    Unai Emery is confident Arsenal's youngsters can help them bounce back from their defeat to Southampton when they face north London rivals Tottenham in the EFL quarter-finals on Wednesday.

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

'#Chelsea fans will be 'respectful' following racism allegations' - #Zola Catch #Chelsea, #Arsenal, #Tottenham and… https://t.co/BqaLJY2kfD
High Court in Trinidad rules in favour of cricket board over the fairness of elections https://t.co/uiKtpB55f9 https://t.co/bzlmwnYUrn
How well will Brathwaite, Hetmyer and Pooran do in the upcoming IPL season after being picked up in Tuesday's draft… https://t.co/ylSo78SdO6
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.